Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Nico

One of the Regulars
i like the heavy berets, summer or winter, wool breathes of coarse i am pondering that gallic rooster one, are these heavy or light wool

Hi Philipe.
I would say light wool. Also when stretched to fit ones head you lose a bit in the diameter.
If I recall, I am wearing a Laulhere rugby beret back on page 66, give or take a page.

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
Hi Philipe.
I would say light wool. Also when stretched to fit ones head you lose a bit in the diameter.
If I recall, I am wearing a Laulhere rugby beret back on page 66, give or take a page.
Ah , ok, thanks friend, glad i saw this, it is a little to small for my taste, it appears ,me and you have around the same head and fit,
7 3/8, 10 pouce average wearer ?

Nico

One of the Regulars
Ah , ok, thanks friend, glad i saw this, it is a little to small for my taste, it appears ,me and you have around the same head and fit,
7 3/8, 10 pouce average wearer ?

I am a size 58 (Metric) or 7 1/4. As for the diameter nearly all my berets are 10P. :)

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
Just got some Savon de Marseille french soap to condition my berets
20170412_191635.jpg

Daan

Vendor
Just got some Savon de Marseille french soap to condition my berets
View attachment 71848

Not a good idea. As I explained to Philipe in an email, the Savon de Marseille is an ingredient used in the manufacturing process (fulling) of the berets made by Boneteria Auloronesa; e.g. it is part of the process and not a conditioning agent to use afterwards. Or, to be even clearer, most of the Savon de Marseille that is added during the fulling will be rinsed out once the beret is finished, with only minimal traces left (this is what you smell from a new Auloronesa or Aotearoa beret).
Adding soap to the exterior of the beret afterwards will result in blocking the natural airflow through the fibers, stickyness and a shiny look. Not to mention a fun sight when wearing the beret in the rain (it is soap, after all).
upload_2017-4-13_15-8-55.jpeg
images

Of course, feel free to try and experiment, but be prepared to ruin a beautiful beret. Much more information on this beautiful product you can find here.

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
ok thanks Daan, i use it on my beanies and expensive socks and it works well, it does not have soapy properties from what i have seen, no real lather, but my berets i rarely get them dirty,

Last edited:
Reactions: RJR

Daan

Vendor
On SPECIAL this week, the boinas Tolosa Tupida from Argentina!
upload_2017-4-15_18-27-45.png
upload_2017-4-15_18-28-4.png
upload_2017-4-15_18-29-17.png
upload_2017-4-15_18-30-19.png

For the first time ever, a SPECIAL of boinas Tolosa Tupida. Importing berets from Argentina is a time consuming and frustrating business; the time between placing an order and arrival in Wellington (NZ) typically takes some 6 months - hence some reluctance to accelerate sales too much.
With a large order in the making now, scheduled to arrive late next month, I dare to put on a nice selection of boinas on SPECIAL: 30 and 32cm diameter models in ultra-soft and super comfortable Argentinian merino wool and the large diameter Plato Grandes in cotton.
upload_2017-4-15_18-34-12.png
upload_2017-4-15_18-35-47.png
upload_2017-4-15_18-36-2.png

Now on SPECIAL at $42.50 - $47.50; one week only or as long as stock lasts!

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-15_18-26-31.png
    upload_2017-4-15_18-26-31.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 103

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
I would be happy to hear beretistas experience of different makes of berets for warm weather. I am definitely a 9.5 pouce kind of guy, so some of more "generous" berets (Daan's term :D ) I see in thinner wool or in cotton are not my first choices...

Daan

Vendor
I would be happy to hear beretistas experience of different makes of berets for warm weather. I am definitely a 9.5 pouce kind of guy, so some of more "generous" berets (Daan's term :D ) I see in thinner wool or in cotton are not my first choices...

I havent found a thinner/lighter merino wool beret than the Tolosa Tupida. The Tupida from BE comes close, but is no longer available.

Well, the first beret that comes to mind is the Caesar Augustus approved Basco Roma; light wool, comfortable to wear and in a small 25cm diameter. I have several customers who won't wear any other beret.
images
upload_2017-4-17_13-36-44.png

However, there is another beret in an even smaller diameter that, like the Roma has been around forever: the Czech made Radiovka. If these meet Caesar Augustus' approval criteria I don't know, but they did meet approval by Gottwald all the way up to Husák, but that didn't deter the Czech and Slovak liberals and freethinkers to wear them.
upload_2017-4-17_13-46-0.png
upload_2017-4-17_13-46-31.png
upload_2017-4-17_13-48-34.png
upload_2017-4-17_13-50-39.png

Traditionally in black and navy, but now also available in winter-green, deep-blue and with a real leather headband. Very light - easy to wear (typically, many customers buy one for inside the house!); good for warm weather.
Not available yet, but later next month, the new cotton berets by Laulhère in small diameter and in two colour melange options (pretty much being made while I write this).
upload_2017-4-17_14-8-6.png
upload_2017-4-17_14-8-15.png
upload_2017-4-17_14-8-37.png

Nico

One of the Regulars
Well, the first beret that comes to mind is the Caesar Augustus approved Basco Roma; light wool, comfortable to wear and in a small 25cm diameter. I have several customers who won't wear any other beret.
images
View attachment 72215
However, there is another beret in an even smaller diameter that, like the Roma has been around forever: the Czech made Radiovka. If these meet Caesar Augustus' approval criteria I don't know, but they did meet approval by Gottwald all the way up to Husák, but that didn't deter the Czech and Slovak liberals and freethinkers to wear them.
View attachment 72217 View attachment 72218 View attachment 72220 View attachment 72222
Traditionally in black and navy, but now also available in winter-green, deep-blue and with a real leather headband. Very light - easy to wear (typically, many customers buy one for inside the house!); good for warm weather.
Not available yet, but later next month, the new cotton berets by Laulhère in small diameter and in two colour melange options (pretty much being made while I write this).
View attachment 72223 View attachment 72224 View attachment 72225
I found the Basco Francia to be light weight and a little larger in diameter than the Roma.

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
I havent found a thinner/lighter merino wool beret than the Tolosa Tupida. The Tupida from BE comes close, but is no longer available.
Mmmmyes, well, I was actually thinking of those when I mentioned "generous" - as far as I can see on Daan's website the smallest size is 30cm, with 28 for the Espinosa. Attach a chinstrap and I could use them for hanggliding...

The Basco Francia has a headband... except for the Deer berets I am firmly in the camp of the headbandless. Easiest to roll up for pocketing!

I have a Basco Roma that has given me trouble when I stretched it to size. A topic for another post sometime...

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
Hey fellas, I just received a brand new dark blue, Auloronesa, but unfortunately it was the wrong size, I wear a 10 pouce, this new one is a 11 pouce, around 12 inches, if anyone is interested in buying it. PM me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner