Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Daan

Vendor
This week's SPECIAL are the Bi-Colours by Le Béret Français and Boinas Elósegui. What may seem like simply a beret in two colours, is actually the result of very innovative thinking and technology that took years to develop.
upload_2018-4-17_13-25-42.png
upload_2018-4-17_13-25-48.png
upload_2018-4-17_13-25-57.png
upload_2018-4-17_13-26-35.png
upload_2018-4-17_13-27-47.png

The berets are not coloured after being knitted, but are knitted in coloured thread (unlike any other mono-colour beret). Getting the colour edges right is a mathematical feat in its own right!

upload_2018-4-17_13-34-3.png
upload_2018-4-17_13-34-11.png

The technology may be new (I believe the first bi-colours came out around 5 years ago), but making/wearing bi-colour berets is not. Various police and military units have had berets made in two colours, like the French Commandos de Chasse; a Commando force raised for the Algerian war in 1959 that was equipped with distinctive black/navy berets.
upload_2018-4-17_13-38-5.png
upload_2018-4-17_13-38-51.png

The Mossos d'Esquadra is another example; this is the police force of Catalonia, largely replacing the Policía Nacional of other regions of Spain. The force was founded in 1951 but takes its name from the informal name of an earlier force, the Escuadras de Paisanos, formed in 1721.
Both examples are "composites" though, made of material that is sewn together (instead of the traditional beret that is knitted from one single thread).
Anarchist%2BJapan.jpg

The Exposición Edición Limitada Paso-doble by Boinas Elósegui is (or was, as these berets are not in production anymore) the very top of the line of the brand at the time. Truly beautiful berets of which I have a very small number now listed on Special for one week only.

Bouwerij_Jongen

One of the Regulars
upload_2018-4-17_13-26-35-png.114761

Somehow the combination of black and Bordeaux makes the black side appear as blue,
it must be a brain color processing feature.

Question: Daan, any insights into why Elosegui came to make the paso-doble?
As the last surviving Basque beret maker, Elosegui has been around a long time.
Is there a historical significance to the bi color beret in Basque Land?

Daan

Vendor
Yes, I can give that insight, but it has nothing to do with a particular Basque significance... The Elósegui bi-colour berets were developed on request of Japanese fashion house Buena Vista. The two men behind Japanese fashion brand Buena Vista are Keiji Ishizuka and Tomonori Okazaki, former professional soccer players and now living in Barcelona, Spain.
SL%2Bbi%2Bcolour.jpg

Two toned pieces were always a trademark of Buena Vista (think soccer and rugby shirts) and, given that berets are very popular in Japan, as well as to make a link to the Spanish base of this Japanese brand, they wanted a range of absolute top quality and unique Spanish made berets in two colours.
20160823_84796a.jpg

This is all some 6, 7 years ago and these berets have all sold out (at extraordinary prices of well over $200.00). Occasionally I come across one at Japanese auction sites, but they are very hard to find (I have three in my own collection, kindly given by Tomonori). Nowadays Buena Vista has a new model, based on the Super Lujo in mono-colour with the Basque label on the outside. I have seen these online at JPY 15.200 and up ($140.00 and over).
125260354.jpg

After endless emails and talks with Buena Vista and Boinas Elósegui, I was given permission to buy (and sell) the remaining stock of these bi-colour berets; not fitted with the Buena Vista label, but with the Euskal Herria label.
Now these too have practically sold out and once so, that really is the end of it. A small number I have listed on Special, for the remains of this week.

Daan

Vendor
Unfortunately, in my part of Germany, I am about the youngest to wear a beret. And I am already old at 58.
The young ones wear those high-domed Baseball Cap, what else.
In between, there is no headgear, save the more unobtrusive Peaked Cap, worn for practical reasons.
Very few men about my age and older I encounter with a beret. And these are live-long wearers, from the look of it.
Interestingly, one part of the male population sticks out: older men who emigrated from Russia. They wear almost always wear Flat Caps.

Here I am, combining my "Bleu de Travail" with a bit of earthen colours in the shape of a beret from BE and a nylon watchband.
View attachment 114121 View attachment 114122
I am still hopeful! This article comes from German magazine Lins (26 March, 2018):

BERETS FOR MEN – WHY EVERY MAN SHOULD WEAR A BERET
The beret has always been a hallmark of rebels, insurgents and revolutionaries.
upload_2018-4-19_10-10-22.png
upload_2018-4-19_10-11-7.png

When Dior showed girls with berets in its autumn-winter 2017 collection, the fashion brand wanted to set a sign of equality and emancipation. In the meantime the beret seems to be more often seen on women than on men.

To be honest it wasn’t that easy to make friends with the beret – it felt too much like disguise because after all there is no other piece of clothing that you associate so much with a particular country like the beret.
upload_2018-4-19_10-13-44.png

In the 1940s the beret was a symbol of French resistance to the Germans, later it was mainly worn by intellectuals and artists – worldwide.
There is hardly a cap that can be combined as versatile as the beret. Frank has also designed berets for his Bachelor’s collection which were based on the style of his muses.

foamy

A-List Customer
My first "real" beret. A Laulhere Hoquy, which seems to be the one beret that Laulhere sends out to hat shops. At least, that's the model I always see on line when a hatter sells a high-end beret.

High-winds predicted today and I wanted a lid that would stay on my head without my having to think about it. The Hoquy has a leather sweatband, which if you should decide to go that route (sized w/leather sweat)—just go ahead and order a stetcher to go with it. Unless you wear it everyday, religiously, you're going to need it.

Hoquy.jpg

Bad pic, I know, but I wanted a shot with the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing suit and didn't want anyone to catch me taking a selfie. I had a very short window of opportunity. Security thinks I'm weird enough as it is.

Last edited:

Nico

One of the Regulars
My first "real" beret. A Laulhere Hoquy, which seems to be the one beret that Laulhere sends out to hat shops. At least, that's the model I always see on line when a hatter sells a high-end beret.

High-winds predicted today and I wanted a lid that would stay on my head without my having to think about it. The Hoquy has a leather sweatband, which if you should decide to go that route (sized w/leather sweat)—just go ahead and order a stetcher to go with it. Unless you wear it everyday, religiously, you're going to need it.

View attachment 115137

Bad pic, I know, but I wanted a shot with the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing suit and didn't want anyone to catch me taking a selfie. I had a very short window of opportunity. Security thinks I'm weird enough as it is.

Still quite warm down under. Wearing my green Laulhère heritage.
Also a quick selfie with a Apollo era suit.
IMG_3305.jpg

Daan

Vendor
On SPECIAL this week, a fine selection of cotton berets from Argentina at a 25% discount!
upload_2018-4-23_12-46-40.png
upload_2018-4-23_12-46-49.png

To celebrate the return of warm weather in the northern hemisphere, this week a variety of Argentinian cotton berets:
- The Arandú Jaspeada models are tough workgear; beautiful heather berets fitted with a strong cotton lining, in black and blue
- The illustrious Guarda Pampa berets with Mataco and Mapuche aboriginal motifs and fitted with a comfortable elastic band
- The classic Boina Tolosa Guarda Pampa with it's Mataco mountain design, available in the standard 30cm diameter, or the large 34 Plato Grande.
upload_2018-4-23_12-47-43.png
upload_2018-4-23_12-48-21.png

For one week only (or as long as stock lasts) at a 25% discount!

upload_2018-4-23_12-48-49.png
upload_2018-4-23_12-49-16.png

foamy

A-List Customer
Heh. I'm on a roll here. I received a happy package from the Land of the Long White Cloud, the other day. It had two new, nifty berets in it. Two Foulards Aotearoas, to be exact. A 31 cm "fox" color (I dig this color) and a Txapeldun (I'd love to know how to pronounce that)! Spring hasn't really sprung here quite yet (temps are kinda low for around here) and I had opportunity to wear them both over the weekend. I really like these. They are as advertised, and they have the same great feel and "flop" of their weightier brethren. Deluxe and delightful. Thanks Daan.
fox color.jpg Txapeldun.jpg

Last edited:

RJR

Heh. I'm on a roll here. I received a happy package from the Land of the Long White Cloud, the other day. It had two new, nifty berets in it. Two Foulards Aotearoas, to be exact. A 31 cm "fox" color (I dig this color) and a Txapeldun (I'd love to know how to pronounce that)! Spring hasn't really sprung here quite yet (temps are kinda low for around here) and I had opportunity to wear them both over the weekend. I really like these. They are as advertised, and they have the same great feel and "flop" of their weightier brethren. Deluxe and delightful. Thanks Daan.
View attachment 115826 View attachment 115827
Looking good,I also have the fox color and really like it.

Nico

One of the Regulars
Mate, you rock in these berets. Liking the fox colour.

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
the brown one is a great color

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
They certainly are! Berets have always been popular in Breizh (Brittany) and still, many of the old Bretons wear the beret with pride. The photo Bouwerij_Jongen posted is from Quiberon, on the "finger" that sticks out from the central south coast of Breizh, whereas the large diameter berets were traditionally more part of the far western side of the peninsula, the fishing towns of Douarnenez and Concarneau for example.
View attachment 114366 View attachment 114367 View attachment 114368
Above some beautiful old photo's of these fishermen; below boat builders and fishermen caulking the ships and performing other repairs - the large diameter berets prominently in sight. These photo's are from 1912, by Lhermitte Charles Augustin (1881-1945), from Douarnenez.
View attachment 114369 View attachment 114370
View attachment 114371 View attachment 114372

brittany-bretagne-map_6.gif
ah yes Daan , it s always a pleasure to see the pictures

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ