Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

JimK

New in Town
I shaved my beard more as a way to wake folks around me up to the need to take this virus seriously - I doubt it'll make much difference in my risk of contagion. One nice thing about a beard, it comes back effortlessly! I do think a smaller beret works better without the beard, more proportional. This is a Fandango:

fandango.jpg

Fashion trends, fashion advice from newspapers - it's ridiculous!

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
I shaved my beard more as a way to wake folks around me up to the need to take this virus seriously - I doubt it'll make much difference in my risk of contagion. One nice thing about a beard, it comes back effortlessly! I do think a smaller beret works better without the beard, more proportional. This is a Fandango:

View attachment 219144

i shaved mine too , feel naked, but as far as wearing a beret , i believe a certain face structure might be able to still pull it off, , i think for you you might need the unshaved gruffly look, , me too ,,a clean face does not work for me with berets ,, could be a beret in most profiles represents a rebel whether real or just to society, or someone who is set apart from the norm

Last edited:

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
With this current Winter having been a windy one here in London, I've not been out in my beloved fedoras for some time. Instead, I've been wearing mostly berets, switching between my Laulhere basque in black (as pictured), and a Laulhere "Paris Beret" in oxblood when I'm feeling frisky, depending where I am located - it's not everywhere I'd risk that colour lest it be mistaken for a military model. (I also have a Basque model in the oxblood, an Alpin in the traditional navy blue, one of the smaller-diameter versions in grey - all Laulhere; I bought the black one in the pictures actually at the factory. Also have a grey-blue Billy Childish cotton beret waiting for wearing with my kilt in the Summer.) My Winter coat of choice this year has been a Montgomery Original brand duffle - another reason I'm not currently wearing the fedoras, as with the berets I can easily pull up the hood if the rain come on or the wind gets very sharp.

I've not quite yet had the nerve to wear the Alpin out, but I'm sure the weather will eventually make it viable; I had a Ushanka for several years before we had a Winter so cold that I stopped caring if I looked daft and wore it. I think the Alpin will be especially great in rain and/or snow... Very much enjoying my berets, though, on the whole. There's something fun about them that they can enhance either a beatnik or even a militia kind of look without looking like military-wannabe.

View attachment 212505 View attachment 212506 een on the
thats a great coat

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
Catching some fresh air on a sunny day in Oregon.
We always get 2 or 3 days of nice weather in February giving
false hope to an early spring.
Wearing a kahki color 28 cm Flamingo beret from Japan via Daan.
With an elastic headband it fits comfortably and the weight is good for indoors and out.
Photos do not capture the color acurately,
it has a deep gold cast.
View attachment 212735
nice color it works well my friend

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
Okay, it took me a little while to get back to this, but I now can say YES - THERE ARE SUCH BERETS!
View attachment 214112 View attachment 214113
The newly arrived winter berets from Japan are designed to keep the head, ears and neck warm in the coldest of winter weather.
View attachment 214114 View attachment 214120
These 140 gram heavy duty winter berets are made by the Toyohat Company under the 'Orient' label.
Toyohat has been manufacturing berets since 1981 and unlike most of the companies' other hat models, these berets are still handmade at their Osaka factory (and not at the company's plant in China).
View attachment 214121 View attachment 214122
The berets are knitted in 80% merino wool with 20% polyester for added strength. Now available in two colours in small numbers at South Pacific Berets.
they remind me of the old french convict bonvoyage hats

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
Disturbing posts by Jim K; first we learn that he shaved off his majestic beard and then he brings up a Wall Street Journal article titled “Can Men Under 60 Wear Berets?”…
Of course, there is a very short and simple answer to that question, but it confirms a persistent and ill-informed stereotype that many people have of beret wearers.
B3-GG123_BERET_SOC_20200303132720.jpg

Like Jim, I’m not a subscriber of the WSJ so couldn’t read the full article, but it resonates with often expressed opinions (by people who don’t wear a beret).

View attachment 218852 View attachment 218854
I think the motto “Peaked Cap: For People Who Don’t Dare To Wear A Beret”, which for years was the first sentence on the Boinas Elósegui website (and still is on The Beret Project) says it all (and what does WSJ reporter Jacob Gallagher wear..? A baseballcap!).
Many people (men) fear the beret; they like the idea of wearing a beret; would love to have the confidence to wear a beret; but suffer from the fear to be ridiculed or laughed at.
View attachment 218856 View attachment 218857 View attachment 218858
I can't count the number of times that men told me "they wished they could pull it off" but of course, as we boineros know, they can - it's all just in the mind!
When you feel self-conscious, you will feel very much looked at when wearing anything that isn't what simply everyone else wears. However, when you stop being bothered by what others (might) think, you'll realize that the only thing that makes you look good under a beret is your confidence.
View attachment 218861 View attachment 218862 View attachment 218863
Would the 1000s (or indeed millions) of men who wore their berets every day during the 1950s and 60s ever have thought about whether they could pull it off...

anyone can wear a beret , but can they wear it well, is the question, you dont just put it on, you have to find your style , tilt and size that works, the beret is , like all hats personal,it reflects the way you feel or want to express oneself,

Last edited:

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
Made a new friend at work today, Kermie the cockatiel. He has taken a liking to my Elosgui 28cm Super Lujo.
Yes he is wearing an E-collar to stop him preening at his tail where he’s injured himself.

View attachment 212489
LOL this is funny, i remember when i had a pet rat, he broke his leg and had to wear a plastic collar like a dog for a week or two, lol

Edward

Bartender
LOL this is funny, i remember when i had a pet rat, he broke his leg and had to wear a plastic collar like a dog for a week or two, lol

Heardadoctor say the other day that with coronovirus on the go we should all be wearing cones of shame to keep our dirty hands off our faces and spreading it! ;)

Daan

Vendor
In times of crisis, everyone should be wearing a Reality Shield.
upload_2020-3-16_16-7-4.png

A good reason for South Pacific Berets to offer the full range of Czech Classics in 9 variations at a SPECIAL of $29.50 each!
Personally, I am contemplating wearing 2 at the same time, these days when I receive multiple emails a day advising me of new measures at NZ Post and courier companies regarding the COVID-19 outbreak.
upload_2020-3-16_16-36-26.png

So far, I do not foresee any implications for parcels travelling from New Zealand to any other country, but what is strict today is lax tomorrow. Mr Trump already foresaw a ban on goods travelling from Europe to the US, after all...
upload_2020-3-16_16-38-55.png
upload_2020-3-16_16-39-2.png

Although not worried about small personal beret orders, the practical lock-down in Italy and Spain means nothing happens at factories (just when things started moving again) and it may not be long before the same happens in (the south of) France.
Getting in new supplies will continue to be a problem.
upload_2020-3-16_16-34-14.png
upload_2020-3-16_16-34-21.png

A good time to support your personal beret dealer;).

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
This morning, the complete stock of South Pacific Berets moved from the warehouse in the city to our house in Khandallah, up in the hills overlooking the harbour.
upload_2020-3-20_16-20-48.png
upload_2020-3-20_16-20-57.png

Not just because of COVID-19, but it certainly played a role. Despite us being reasonably lucky in Aotearoa – New Zealand, so far, there is no doubt that things will get worse. Already, no humans can get in and out of the country anymore and who knows what will happen to domestic movements in the (near) future.
upload_2020-3-20_16-21-39.png

This afternoon I had a meeting with NZ Post and I am assured that there are no plans to shut down cargo traffic going outside the country, but the expectation is that some countries, like Italy at present, won’t deliver parcels from overseas.
upload_2020-3-20_16-22-58.png
upload_2020-3-20_16-23-5.png

It may be a very good time now to buy that beret that you so much want – I guarantee it will ship within 1 business day!
upload_2020-3-20_16-24-33.png

A very good time to wear a Reality Shield; the movers know this too now!

Daan

Vendor
Due to the COVID-19 virus New Zealand will be in lock-down, 46 hours from now.
Nk68wYPQSYcdMhekwWAzGRcIfoqElnPfaiRoSxVzc9EP8qZrFa2Bgm7lTuzF_KUHQ47QL6upqJ4HZcxwfpibRhzoISAKNMActgRCDljOqEcZQ4O7f4KWm3OOKTroGqqsvncYZqJmx-mPGJyftsQj61Nx3J5iIg=s0-d-e1-ft

That means effectively a closure for South Pacific Berets for an unlimited time.
However, any orders placed within the next 40 hours will be shipped!
All orders placed after will be prepared for you and send out as soon as the lock-down has lifted - this way you can secure the beret of your liking.
What can I better say then that it is a very good time to wear a Reality Shield!

JimK

New in Town
Folks might have heard - we had a 5.7 magnitude earthquake here in Utah a few days ago - exquisite timing! I found that one of my shelving units is crumpling, I suspect from the earthquake. So a shopping trip was in order. For sure best to do as little shopping as possible! But if that shelving unit goes over, eeek the domino effect might not be at all pretty!

I wore my Elosegui 1858 reality shield!

boots.jpg

Tchoupi

New in Town
i shaved mine too , feel naked, but as far as wearing a beret , i believe a certain face structure might be able to still pull it off, , i think for you you might need the unshaved gruffly look, , me too ,,a clean face does not work for me with berets ,, could be a beret in most profiles represents a rebel whether real or just to society, or someone who is set apart from the norm

View attachment 219144

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112