Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Daan

Vendor
Great to read your positive feedback, Alan and NoHorse. I expected many boineros would share my enthusiasm for these berets, but am still surprised to see how fast they go.
The 10.5p model has now sold out and I only have between 1 and 3 of all the other diameters.

upload_2021-10-28_10-36-58.png

MdB has just shipped the last few models in 10 and 10.5p, which can now be pre-ordered from the website (these will ship mid- late November).
upload_2021-10-28_10-40-0.png
upload_2021-10-28_10-40-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-10-28_10-36-34.png
    upload_2021-10-28_10-36-34.png
    381.1 KB · Views: 195

Bouwerij_Jongen

One of the Regulars
I am going to post two comments, one about Flamingo berets and the second about the Merino d'Arles.
Consider each post as independent of the other.
#1 I have been wearing my Flamingo W400-31 berets in bleu universal, white universal, and super charcoal with adjustable iining.

I wear the blue universal each morning for walking and heavy duty yard maintenance where you sweat a lot.
The blue universal is comfortable and stretches easily to a 59cm head. and it dries quickly.

The white universal W400-31 is good for those warm sunny days where you need solar ray protection.
The whiie universal head band seems to be 1/2 turned out and 1/2 turned under,
which is fine because it increases the diameter.

The headband adjustable dark charcoal melange feels thick yet soft and fits a 59cm head.
It is great for kicking back after a day of labor, well maybe a couple of hours.

After extensive wearing of Flamingo berets,
I must admit they do a pretty good job.

20211003_161834.jpg
20211003_162012.jpg
20211003_162204.jpg

Next up Merino d'Arles

Bouwerij_Jongen

One of the Regulars
The Merino d'Arles by Manufacture de Berets is traditional artisnal beret production experience combining with millenium long traditions of sheep rearing in the La Crau region of the south coast of France.
Now you say, "I have never heard of La Crau, France"
I can say the same even though I spent one on my worst nights in a Marsaille Airport hotel
which is on the eastern edge of the La Crau.
La Crau is not on anyone's map tourist or otherwise.
But the La Crau is where the Merino d'Arles are raised.
The La Crau is the old delta for the Rhone and Durance Rivers.
The La Crau is about 150 square miles of rock and scrub and grasses.
Because it was a river delta it consists of a lot of rock and silt.
So 50% of La Crau is rock,
the other 50% is scrub and grasses.
La Crau is home to many protected and endangered birds.
La Crau is also where where sheep have been grazing since
Gallo Roman times, so a long time.
Studies show that sheep grazing is key to maintaining the ecology of La Crau.
Since 1804, thereabouts the Merino d'Arles sheep has been grazing La Crau,
producing wool and lambs, lately mainly lambs.
So, Daan with his wizard's wand has mixed MdB with MdA to
create berets that use wool that is from a truely ecological essential source, Merino d'Arles sheep.

The beret feels heavier than a normal MdB but is only 5-7 grams heavier.
It does seem thicker which is the dense Merino d'Arles wool.
The beret is very comfortable for cooler months.
20211019_153440.jpg

nashopolis

New in Town
Howdy - went down the rabbit hole tonight on berets.

If you lovers of berets might indulge me - I need some guidance. Sometime in the past year or two I saw what I would call a peaked beret and now I’m trying to find where I can get one. The type I saw if I remember correctly was tight to the head, a bit shaped and navy blue. Southern European (Spain or Portuguese perhaps). It seemed like it was a brand / make that folks would know if they knew hats. Any places to look would be much appreciated!

Tchoupi

New in Town
The Merino d'Arles by Manufacture de Berets is traditional artisnal beret production experience combining with millenium long traditions of sheep rearing in the La Crau region of the south coast of France.
I can say the same even though I spent one on my worst nights in a Marsaille Airport hotel
create berets that use wool that is from a truely ecological essential source, Merino d'Arles sheep.

View attachment 373510
Vincent Van Gogh painted there "Harvest at La Crau"
preliminary-sketch-of-harvest-at-la-crau.jpg
vincent_van_gogh_00191.jpg

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
Goat in a Tree (a cautionary tale from the High Atlas mountains of Morocco)

Our latest label and beret design is inspired by a sad but true encounter which Mister Childish had whilst enjoying a walking/sketching trip to the High Atlas Mountains with his good wife in the early 2000's. Sitting himself beneath a ancient juniper tree he took up brush and paper and proceeded to sketch the vista before him. It was whilst so engaged that he felt his beret being lifted from his head. Turning sharply, he was confronted by a white billy goat, his beret dangling from its laughing mouth.
Before a man could utter 'billy goat gruff' the goat sprang into the bows of the ancient juniper and then with great agility ascended to the highest branches of the tree from where it looked down upon mister Childish in what he later described 'a look of malevolent glee'. The goat then began chomping on Mister Childish's beret, consuming it entirely, bite by goaty bite.
It is in commemoration of the sad but true destruction of an otherwise impermeable beret that we have created this special Goat in a Tree - Chyldish Fear Naught.
Wear your beret with pride, but when walking in the mountains never turn your back on a goat.

Billy Childish
goat%20in%20a%20tree%20%281%29.jpg.opt443x444o0%2C0s443x444.jpg

The latest addition (2021) to the Goat in a Tree series is the range of mid-weight (80/100 gram) berets in 28 and 31cm diameter, available in black and three colours.
upload_2021-11-3_15-43-16.png
upload_2021-11-3_15-43-23.png
upload_2021-11-3_15-43-32.png

These berets are made in a small batch of 100% merino wool, fitted with a sewn-in cotton lining and the woven Billy Childish 'Goat in a Tree' label.
upload_2021-11-3_15-44-8.png
upload_2021-11-3_15-44-41.png
upload_2021-11-3_15-45-57.png

Alan…

kudos to whoever your photographer is. In fact, I’d be interested to know what lens was used.

More to the point - I got my Merino d’Arles today! Oh my oh my. This is a very different beret indeed. It may well become my daily wear, replacing the mix of Auloronesa and Elosequi that Are my habit.

Thanks very much for your note... it is self shot taken with the new iPhone 13 pro - the normal lens, not the front facing selfie lens I believe.

And agree with your assessment. The new merino is very satisfying and easy to wear.

Tchoupi

New in Town
Great to read your positive feedback, Alan and NoHorse. I expected many boineros would share my enthusiasm for these berets, but am still surprised to see how fast they go.
The 10.5p model has now sold out and I only have between 1 and 3 of all the other diameters.

View attachment 373488
MdB has just shipped the last few models in 10 and 10.5p, which can now be pre-ordered from the website (these will ship mid- late November).
View attachment 373489 View attachment 373490

Bouwerij_Jongen

One of the Regulars
Hey Alan, a great tumeric beret.

My thread today is what I have been wearing lately and
the Merino d'Arles sheep and Vincent Van Gogh paintings.
Where I live the first of November is the start of colder weather assisted by wind and rain.
So, for my morning walk I have been wearing the Flamingo Universal 400, lightweight and warm.
But on cold windy days I switch to the Orient beret that looks like a watch cap but importantly covers the ears.
The rest of the day I have been wearing the Merino d'Arles beret from Manufacture de Beret
The Merino d'Arles beret feels and I think is thicker than a comparable weight beret; no doubt due to factors Daan has described.
The Merino d'Arles beret is for cooler weather and a cooler house because it is efficient at keeping your head warm.

The natural history and sheepherding culture of La Crau is rich and fascinating.
The southern ¾ of La Crau is classified as a steppe because 50% of the land is rock outcroppings and the other 50% is grasses and short shrubs.
Before the 16th Century sheepherders no doubt practiced transhumance.
Where in the spring the herd would be in La Crau for the new growth of grasses. The herds would be driven north to summer in Les Alpilles, the small alps to the northeast of Arles.
In the 16th Century canals were dug to irrigate the northern
¼ of La Crau. The water and abundant sunshine allowed four hay cuttings a season.
The first three cuttings were for breeding stock but the fourth cutting with much lower quality was fed to the sheep. So the sheep herds would spend autumn and winter in the hay fields eating hay and hay stubble all the while depositing natural fertilizer.
In 1804 the imperial sheepfold of Arles initiated the Merino d’Arles which was a cross between local sheep and Spanish Merino rams.
So, Tchoupi, those hay fields painted by Van Goth were no doubt the fields where Merino d’Arles sheep would graze then and now.

Last edited:

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
mnOB4mO.jpg

So I jumped into the beret boat! This is a Laulhere Basque Authentique 10 purchased locally at Berkeley Hat Co, The picture is taken at the California coast near San Simeon, CA. Those giant worms on the sandy beach behind me are Elephant Seals.

sUT0jxb.jpg

This one is a Laulhere Heritage Arnaga 9 in a cool dark brown. I really like the small plate on this one.
you remind me of someone from the middle east or south america , one of those leaders , you could pull off a movie anyway looking good brother

Last edited:

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer

View attachment 373510
always dressed right good on ya mate

Daan

Vendor
Limited Editions

Over the years, South Pacific Berets has negotiated a good number of Éditions limitée; the most recent of course being the Merinos d'Arles by Manufacture de Bérets, while it started with the
Māori inspired Aotearoa's by Auloronesa's founder Denis Guédon.
upload_2021-11-24_13-50-53.png
upload_2021-11-24_13-51-1.png
upload_2021-11-24_13-51-9.png

In between there have been the Berets Pacifique (MdB), the French linen lined Foulards (Denis Guédon), the Exposición Edición Limitada Paso-doble (Boinas
Elósegui) and more recent the two lines of Bily Childish' berets.
upload_2021-11-24_14-0-57.png
upload_2021-11-24_14-1-5.png
upload_2021-11-24_14-1-13.png

Typically, after introducing new lines the berets go out at a fast pace which slows down after a week or so and, with little promotion given, some individuals remain on the shelves for years to come.
upload_2021-11-24_14-11-6.png
upload_2021-11-24_14-11-45.png

With Christmas approaching rapidly, you might like to give a loved one (or yourself) something really special - before they're definitively sold out.
upload_2021-11-24_14-10-12.png
upload_2021-11-24_14-10-52.png

More is coming, a new collaboration with Billy Childish but in the absolute best of the best range - that will be well into the New Year...

Edward

Bartender
Been wearing berets a lot this last couple of years; the cotton Billy Chyldish / Fear Naught one has become a particular favourite for casual wear, great in warmer weather, including the unseasonably warm Autumn we've had this year in London. I can see me picking up another of those at some point to go alongside my Laulheres.

Daan

Vendor
South Pacific Berets' last SPECIAL of the year is SPECIAL!

2021 has been a remarkable year in many ways; what better way to end it than by giving yourself, or a loved one, one of the very best berets available on the market today?
upload_2021-12-20_14-6-38.png
upload_2021-12-20_14-6-45.png

On SPECIAL until the end of 2021, or as long as stock lasts, a small number of the top-of-the-range line of Flamingo berets: the mid-weight W6200 models, the winter weight W400 and the luxurious heavy weight Chobo400 Exclusive!
upload_2021-12-20_14-8-53.png
upload_2021-12-20_14-9-7.png

Handmade, naturally dyed, rinsed in the blessed Mount Aso groundwater and sun-dried - these berets are of a rare colour intensity and yes, among the most comfortable berets to be found.
upload_2021-12-20_14-9-17.png
upload_2021-12-20_14-9-23.png

From $79.50 - 92.50 @ $57.50 - 67.00!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112