Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Mm25

One Too Many
Enjoying the moment on a cold stormy day with my Tabernacle cigar and Auloronesa, made by former owner/operator Denis Guédon (the master) and embroidered by Christine, professional embroiderer in Ogeu-les-Bains.
Happy new year my beret wearing friends

How do you manage the order process? I went to their website and translated it to English. All was good until I put my selection in the cart, then it flipped back to French and I stopped. What I really was trying to find was a shipping calculator for USA.

Daan

Vendor
@Daan — another question for you: Spanish Merino sheep — How come Elosegui doesn’t get their wool from Spain anymore but sources it from Australia?
The Merino sheep, though originally from present-day Morocco, has a long history in Spain, but these days Spain is a very minor player in the field of merino wool.
The main producing countries are Australia and New Zealand; Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and to some extend South Africa are also big producers ( their stock originating in Australia and NZ).
France is a very small player too; the wool typically going to specialized small artisans like MdB/Auloronesa.
Quality wise, NZ merino is the best quality, due to the excellent climate for Merino's in the South Island highlands (and not unimportant, NZ has the best standards of animal care).
The French Merino wool too is of excellent quality, mainly due to it being grown on a small scale (and at a high cost).

Fern

One of the Regulars
The Merino sheep, though originally from present-day Morocco, has a long history in Spain, but these days Spain is a very minor player in the field of merino wool.
The main producing countries are Australia and New Zealand; Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and to some extend South Africa are also big producers ( their stock originating in Australia and NZ).
France is a very small player too; the wool typically going to specialized small artisans like MdB/Auloronesa.
Quality wise, NZ merino is the best quality, due to the excellent climate for Merino's in the South Island highlands (and not unimportant, NZ has the best standards of animal care).
The French Merino wool too is of excellent quality, mainly due to it being grown on a small scale (and at a high cost).
Thanks for that reply, @Daan. I tried googling for topics like “Spain merino wool industry” but nothing immediately came up related to a downturn or reasons for why Elosegui might want to source from Australia (and pay shipping/import tariffs) rather than get it locally (as was probably the traditional source.)

I read that Laulhere boasts about 100% French production and French merino wool, so wondered why Elosegui has it set up differently.
3677DFFB-DD0E-4480-9F48-486A2183446E.jpeg

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
Thanks for that reply, @Daan. I tried googling for topics like “Spain merino wool industry” but nothing immediately came up related to a downturn or reasons for why Elosegui might want to source from Australia (and pay shipping/import tariffs) rather than get it locally (as was probably the traditional source.)

I read that Laulhere boasts about 100% French production and French merino wool, so wondered why Elosegui has it set up differently. View attachment 399395
It is an interesting statement; to the best of my knowledge, Laulhère uses Australian merino wool. With their focus changing from Basque berets to the higher fashion end berets and beret-based hats, they may use French grown wool for their new range - but frankly, I am just guessing now.
The words "100% French merino base" leave some room for questioning too; what is meant by "the base" and what percentage needs to be produced in France to call it French made legally.
Eg. a New Zealand beret manufacturer (Hills Hats from Petone) claims their berets are NZ made, despite them coming from Pakistan. Legally though, the claim is correct when lining, headband, label, etc are made/fitted in NZ.
I'll try to follow up, although this kind of information is often not easy to get...

Fern

One of the Regulars
It is an interesting statement; to the best of my knowledge, Laulhère uses Australian merino wool. With their focus changing from Basque berets to the higher fashion end berets and beret-based hats, they may use French grown wool for their new range - but frankly, I am just guessing now.
The words "100% French merino base" leave some room for questioning too; what is meant by "the base" and what percentage needs to be produced in France to call it French made legally.
Eg. a New Zealand beret manufacturer (Hills Hats from Petone) claims their berets are NZ made, despite them coming from Pakistan. Legally though, the claim is correct when lining, headband, label, etc are made/fitted in NZ.
I'll try to follow up, although this kind of information is often not easy to get...
Would be wonderful detective work. I’m sure you miss being able to do your long trips to Pays Basque, right @Daan? That’s how you get the best scoops!

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
How do you manage the order process? I went to their website and translated it to English. All was good until I put my selection in the cart, then it flipped back to French and I stopped. What I really was trying to find was a shipping calculator for USA.
for me originally i used to get it from dennis, then Sara took over and she would send me a paypal payment invoice, shipping was only about 17.00 or so she would help me out

Fern

One of the Regulars
Enjoying the recreation of these historic Carlist Wars soldiers in the Basque movie, “Giant. Those guys were like guerrilla fighters — fought bravely! Oh, and The Red boinas make sense in the deep green forest so they don’t bayonet each other. Love the deep red color!

Check out how the one soldier uses his epaulets. (Rolls his red txapela.)
755D727E-78F5-4D28-B765-4BD290B78932.jpeg
A4F360B4-5BC5-43A3-B200-365ECAF58FB0.jpeg
0F94EABD-A272-417B-93A1-CF4A77C505D4.jpeg
DD9D914E-1FCC-4707-B0C8-5E71EFF34378.jpeg
1F1C68B8-B0BD-42F3-9FC0-0065C82DC6FE.jpeg
70D99F15-E008-4B88-9126-AB93052A6852.jpeg
83184377-1877-4DAF-963E-45F6F06FF984.jpeg
D54D379A-C7C6-4342-9833-0D80BD5C8261.jpeg

Reminds me of these guys:
86693E98-2F89-4561-9238-AFBA652DC441.jpeg

Painting of a Carlist; Tomás de Zumalacárregui y de Imaz; Portrait of a Carlist

I tried the red cap Elosegui SL the other day and it catches a lot of looks from people.
F8D3507F-3F47-482C-9000-346FB09B83FA.jpeg

Last edited:

Fedster

Familiar Face
Keeping your ears warm. In the interest of empirical testing I went cross country skiing at -11C with a super lujo and a Buff merino neck tube (I cut off the label and I do not remember if it meant to be heavy or light wool thickness, and it is the only one I have). I pulled the tube up over my neck, ears and back of the head, and plopped the boina on top. It worked fine, keeping in mind I always get massively hot anyway cross country skiing. I need to test the same walking.

As for looks, YMMV.

Fedster

Familiar Face
Keeping your ears warm. In the interest of empirical testing I went cross country skiing at -11C with a super lujo and a Buff merino neck tube (I cut off the label and I do not remember if it meant to be heavy or light wool thickness, and it is the only one I have). I pulled the tube up over my neck, ears and back of the head, and plopped the boina on top. It worked fine, keeping in mind I always get massively hot anyway cross country skiing. I need to test the same walking.

As for looks, YMMV.

Tested, same approach works also for walking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot