Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
My new Merino Arles ( birthday present to myself). And as nice Irish coffee.--i must say it was well worth it , i love this beret, the MdB quality , in my opinion is the very best , exactly what I want in a beret , thick, soft and full, Dennis and Sara i salute you, i am so glad sara took over this business or it would have been lost, and thanks Daan for coming up with new ideas as to keep it , the beret world flowing,

Attachments

• 750DE1C8-9294-40B7-A89D-E7549FFEEC9F.jpeg
    750DE1C8-9294-40B7-A89D-E7549FFEEC9F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Mm25

Practically Family
My new Merino Arles ( birthday present to myself). And as nice Irish coffee.--i must say it was well worth it , i love this beret, the MdB quality , in my opinion is the very best , exactly what I want in a beret , thick, soft and full, Dennis and Sara i salute you, i am so glad sara took over this business or it would have been lost, and thanks Daan for coming up with new ideas as to keep it , the beret world flowing, plus all you good people on here sharing
It reminds me of a rag wool stocking cap, in all the best ways. I just want to touch it!

Bouwerij_Jongen

One of the Regulars
Praise be to all the wearers of the blue and yellow.

For the last few months, every day I will cycle through two or three berets.
I wear a Flamingo 400 universal for my morning nature walk and digging out the roots of the most noxious invasive weeds i run across. So an hour to two 2 1/2 hours of outdoor activity in cold to cool conditions.
For the rest of the day it has been back and forth between my new Merio d'Arles 10.5 Pouce and the Crow label 6200 universal 28 cm in Manganese Violet. Both are very comfortable.

20220403_142642.jpg
20220328_144044.jpg

Daan

Vendor
Eleven years ago (Aug., 23, 2011), I published a post on this forum about the Polish made Sterkowski beret. It wasn't a positive review, of "a beret that wasn't a beret". In the post I explained why this hat shouldn't be called a Basque Beret (as per it's label) as it was made of woven wool (instead of knitted wool), consisted of multiple pieces of wool sewn together (instead of it being made of one single thread of wool) and obviously didn't have a cabillou (but a funny piece of wool material sewn into the center of the hat).
1649649813906.png
1649649827703.png

The other week I received a sample of the new Sterkowski beret, the 'Grand Classic', and after wearing it for a few days, I must say I really enjoy this hat!
No, still not a beret in the literal sense, but Sterkowski doesn't make that claim anymore either; the label now states "BERET SZYTY", Polish for "sewn beret", the word 'Basque' has been removed from the label and there is simply no cabillou (or anything looking like it).
1649650436589.jpeg
1649650493022.png
1649650532909.png

What pleases me is that the fit is really comfortable, despite my dislike for (most) berets with headbands; the leather is soft and supple and fitted with a brake (as all classic berets do).
The craftsmanship is simply excellent, made with great eye for detail.
1649650689978.jpeg
1649650709270.jpeg

A small detail I really like, is how the beret is not fitted with a label as such; the "label" is embroidered directly on the beret's lining.
At $36.00 (ex shipping) I would highly recommend this none-traditional beret.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko