Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Maguire

Practically Family
kabuto said:
Did you check out Woodfluter's photo? I'd reckon it offers sun protection somewhere between a sombrero and a Tom Mix western.
indeed that's why i added the little disclaimer- i'm talking about what the military uses, those small ones, not that gigantic thing basques wear.

NonEntity

Suspended
Woodfluter,

I am so happy that you found a beret you really like. Though it seems simple enough, the beret is one of the most difficult types of headgear to assess quality, fit, and how a certain diameter will look on your head in the manner you wear it, when you are making your decision based only on Internet or catalogue photos and descriptions. I went through that agony myself, and educated myself thoroughly on the topic, so that's one of the main reasons I posted the Beret Clinic back in January.

Thank you for the link to Elosegui. I never was able to find its web site previously. Now I know why--I searched using exact word match, and it goes by "Boinas Elosegui." The look, usability, detail, and quality of information on its site is terrific, even if the English is a bit "dodgy." The description of the manufacturing process, along with the photos, is by far the best I've ever seen. As a result, I learned something new and stand corrected--weaving the wool IS part of the process.

But, as for myself, now that I know Elosegui makes my ideal beret in a color I do not yet have-- gray or red size 57 in its 10 1/2-inch diameter Super Luxury fully-lined-with-genuine-leather-sweat model--I'm even more frustrated than before, because I cannot get one directly from the factory unless I order in bulk, and I still don't know a vendor I can get one from.

Help!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Maguire said:
I agree 100%, i despise berets. They look ok on che.. but not on a real, standing army. Whatever happened to officer's peaked caps, shakos, and all those nice hats we used to see people wear, now the beret is worn, simply because it is easy to fold up and such. Its a shame really. Berets are completely pointless in that they really offer no protection from the sun, they just sort of sit on your head. I'm not talking about the basque berets and some specific styles, but the generic beret nearly every army is adopting.

Garrison cap. Useless. I think the idea is that a uniform just has to have some kind of headgear, when a helmet isn't worn. And now it needs to be easy to stuff somewhere. But you're right, beret seems like an bad choice, too warm sometimes for uniform wear. Now when it gets cold, that's a different story. Then the beret is quite useful.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
NonEntity said:
Though it seems simple enough, the beret is one of the most difficult types of headgear to assess quality, fit, and how a certain diameter will look on your head in the manner you wear it, when you are making your decision based only on Internet or catalogue photos and descriptions.

I know what you mean! But true for hats also.

NonEntity said:
Thank you for the link to Elosegui.///
The look, usability, detail, and quality of information on its site is terrific, ///

Personally, I like the animated woman in the slit skirt with a beret on her head that is constantly walking in the lower left corner of every page. Mmmmm.

NonEntity said:
But, as for myself, now that I know Elosegui makes my ideal beret in a color I do not yet have-- gray or red size 57 in its 10 1/2-inch diameter Super Luxury fully-lined-with-genuine-leather-sweat model--I'm even more frustrated than before, because I cannot get one directly from the factory unless I order in bulk, and I still don't know a vendor I can get one from.

If you find one, let us know! I might like the 11 or 11-1/2 version in blue. I wonder if any F.L. members live in Spain, or if those in the E.U. somewhere could find out about vendors...

- Bill

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I have a beret I bought for pence in a charity shop a while ago, and I have to say, it is the most practical hat I own. I wear it all the time in winter, as it is warm and waterproof. I have no clues as to its origins, except what I have read on this thread so far. It appears to be from Basque, and I'm assuming the french region as all the writing is in french, though it is none of the brands mentioned earlier. The label is sown into a silk lining, and it has a flat leather band, with the size printed directly onto the band. Here it is, and the label:

IMAG0290.jpg

The band is slightly bent on its join from being screwed up in my bag all the time, like Miss Sis said. Here is the label - for those who don't speak french it is apparently pure wool and waterproof.

IMAG0289.jpg

I found it in a charity shop, like I mentioned earlier, and have no clue about it at all, but love it dearly as it is the perfect hat for a drizzly winter's day, and matches nicely with my military style wool-felt winter coat.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hi Ada!

The sweatband on yours looks remarkably like the nylon one that was originally on my Hoquy, before I removed it. Including the red line. (Not suggesting that you follow suit, but I found the nylon scratchy and non-absorbant, was planning to replace it with leather but decided I'm happy without it altogether.)

I don't know as much as I'd like to about berets, and don't know if Hoquy made their own (like Elosegui does) or if they got them from a supplier - maybe your "Royal Basque" is the twin of mine? Anyway I share your sentiments about berets in general. Very comfortable, handy, stylish, easy to stow, sheds rain.

- Bill

NonEntity

Suspended
Ada Veen,

I cannot say for sure without more info and photos, but your very fine beret, based on the "Grand Lux" and "Impermeable" nomenclature, plus the details of the sweatband and overall design, appears to be an older version of the Super Luxury manufactured in Tolosa.

Just a reminder, that the writing is in French is, in itself, no clue to a beret's origin. I have seen many a beret manufactured in Eastern Europe and China with French writing in an intentional attempt to make them appear authentic Basque.

Woodfluter,

Go back and read my earlier posts. Hoquy does not manufacture anything; it is a brand name made by a manufacturer to its specifications for the swide range of berets in its line.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Hi guys! Thanks for your feedback and info.:)

Woodfluter, the band on mine appears to be of leather, not nylon, but does have that funny red line that you mention.

NonEntity, ooh, I wonder how old it is. How interesting!

JOVE23

New in Town
Pat_H said:
By the way, in military berets, an interesting one is the type worn by French Alpine troops. Absolutely enormous. It'd look odd in any other usage, but looks right for them.

The worst looking military beret was the pre WWII German armored troop beret. German armor troops wearing that huge, puffy, black beret looked like sinister Pillsbury Doughboys.

Ah, yes, the venerable Schutzmutze.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7056/01schutzmtze0dl.jpg

It's no wonder none of these guys look particularly happy.

ken100

Familiar Face
Berets are cool

Just thought Id post a pic of me and my youngest with a new (on me) and a vintage found in a charity store (on the little chick) both basque jobbies, love wearing the flat caps!
CIMG1483-1.jpg

der schneider

One of the Regulars
I very often wear a blue scottish bonnet with a red band it is floppy enough to use as a visor to protect me from the sun and it keeps my head worm in cool weather. I have worn different variations for over 20 years now.

I think I was the only scout who liked his red BSA beret.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
What they are not is trousers...

By the way, in WW2 the British Army had an official issue beret labelled the Beret, Basque. It preceded the General Serice cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui