Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Edward

Bartender
Mark Brody said:
Berets, I think, are the only hat that works with every military uniform. Unfortunately, it also seems to be the second best hat to wear with any military uniform. There are hats that are much better suited for a combat uniform than a beret. There are also much more appropriate hats to wear with dress uniforms.{/quote]

Sounds like they're the archetypal compromise candidate!

You're absolutely right about standardization of dress uniforms. That's the one time everyone really should look exactly the same. As far as the expense of the peak caps is concerned, they cost about 3 times as much as the flight caps/garrison caps/piss-cutters (call it what you will), but they last about 10 times as long. The only inconvenience, than, is not being able to tuck it under your belt. I really hate the flight cap. It looks like you took a mailing envelope and turned it upside down on your head (not to mention the horrible tan line it leaves on your forehead).

Is there a force left that still wears a garrison?

Mysterious Mose said:
How you doin' Edward,

I have the Vrai Basque beret, it's really nice. Very maquisard. My 59 fits my 59-7 3/8 head perfectly. It does have a drawstring sewed to the sweatband, so you should be alright.

M.M.

Good to know, thanks. still waiting for it to arrive, hope it comes soon. :)

Mark Brody

New in Town
Edward said:
Is there a force left that still wears a garrison?

I wear it everyday. The Air Force, Navy and Marines still wear it with their dress uniform (the Marines and the Navy are more likely to wear a service cap for special occasions). Flyers from all services wear the garrison cap with their flight suits.

Edward

Bartender
Mark Brody said:
I wear it everyday. The Air Force, Navy and Marines still wear it with their dress uniform (the Marines and the Navy are more likely to wear a service cap for special occasions). Flyers from all services wear the garrison cap with their flight suits.

Aha! I thought they hag disappeared (I think they have in the British military, but I would never claim to be eve particularly well informed about their uniforms) altogether. Interesting that they are the preserve of dress uniform now in those units you mention - following the general rule of civilian clothing also that today's casual wear is tomorrow's formal...

Edward

Bartender
Well, mine arrived from Ropey Soles the other day. I can't fault the quality at all, but I'm going to send it back and ask for the 57. I did follow their advice in ordering a 56, as they say that the sizes run large on these. It is indeed a neat fit, and would be fine - but, being wool, I am concerned about shrinkage, and so I would feel happier with the 57. I don't think it will be especially big - just be able to pull it down a little further, maybe, un til it beds in. Bottom line: their advice is correct, but doesn'tg allow for inevitable shrinkage (which is perhaps the reason that they run big to being with.... I'm put in mind of my Akubra Federations, both of which arrived a bit big but shrank to fit pretty quickly).

Daan

Vendor
Size is irrelevant

Sizes are irrelevant for berets, really, as the best berets actually have no headband (and therefore no specific size).
Somehow most French beret manufacturers used a leather (later synthetic) headband and this tradition is kept by the only remaining French manufacturer (in Oloron, Bearn).
Most Spanish berets, made by Boinas Elosegui and Argentinean made Espinosa's and Tolosa Tupida's come without a headband - just the woolen rim, which is stretchable and can fit practically any size head snug and comfortably.

The other advantage is of course that a headband-less beret leaves no imprint on your forehead from the lining or it's stitching and doesn't give your head a sweaty appearance once you take your beret off. Besides, they roll and fold easily, which makes them nicely pocketable (thanks to Groucho Marx)!

Have a look at www.SouthPacificBerets.com for a large selection of berets without headband.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
MensHats.com Basque Beret

Daan, I E-mailed you a couple of weeks ago via your web site for your expertise, but have yet to get a response. I cannot yet contact you via a PM here because I do not yet have enough posts to do so.

I'd like a top-of-the-line authentic fully-lined Basque-area-manufactured red beret in 9 1/2- to 10 1/2-inch diameter with a genuine leather sweatband and found this one at http://www.menshats.com/product/96/berets.

The description there says it has a leather sweat and is imported from France, but that doesn't mean it was made in France, which, if so, would have to be the Oleron St. Marie factory, and even if it was made there, that does not guarantee it's their top-tier beret. And, as I've learned the hard way, leather turns out to be vinyl sometimes. The site does not indicate the beret diameter, either.

The photo is of little use, since it does not show the lining and the tell-tale label affixed thereto. MensHat's price of $55.00 is no bargain--nothing there is--but they are participating in today's Free Shipping Day, which would save $11.95 according to its overpriced S & H schedule.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about this particular beret, or, for that matter, where else I could get one with my requirements (I could be flexible on color only)? Time is of the essence, as Free Shipping Day is today only.

Thanks!

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
AlterEgo said:
Daan, I E-mailed you a couple of weeks ago via your web site for your expertise, but have yet to get a response. I cannot yet contact you via a PM here because I do not yet have enough posts to do so.

I'd like a top-of-the-line authentic fully-lined Basque-area-manufactured red beret in 9 1/2- to 10 1/2-inch diameter with a genuine leather sweatband and found this one at http://www.menshats.com/product/96/berets.

The description there says it has a leather sweat and is imported from France, but that doesn't mean it was made in France, which, if so, would have to be the Oleron St. Marie factory, and even if it was made there, that does not guarantee it's their top-tier beret. And, as I've learned the hard way, leather turns out to be vinyl sometimes. The site does not indicate the beret diameter, either.

The photo is of little use, since it does not show the lining and the tell-tale label affixed thereto. MensHat's price of $55.00 is no bargain--nothing there is--but they are participating in today's Free Shipping Day, which would save $11.95 according to its overpriced S & H schedule.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about this particular beret, or, for that matter, where else I could get one with my requirements (I could be flexible on color only)? Time is of the essence, as Free Shipping Day is today only.

Thanks!
IMHO the menshats.com beret is not top-of-the-line. The S, M, L, XL &c. sizing reveals to me a lower-quality beret. But I have to qualify this by saying that I am not acquainted with Spanish berets.

For many who love berets, a decorative lining is a large part of the pleasure. You want to see the lining before you buy; if menshats.com were proud of their lining, they'd show it. I think you're right to be suspicious about the "leather" sweat as well.

If you want a real top-of-the-line beret, I suggest you look for a vintage one. I have found some real beauties on eBay...as well as some trash, of course. Or you can contact Beatex (the last beret manufacturer in France) at contact@beatex.fr to find the stores that carry their line. Their website http://www.beatex-laulhere.com/ is presently being overhauled.

Big_e

Practically Family
I had bought a cheap beret from ebay and I'm very happy with it. It's plain unlined wool with no headband. I like it 'cause it goes with anything and feels about as good as my flat caps. It also brings to mind the French Resistance and deeds of daring and passion.:)

I usually wear it to the side and it has enough fold to keep some of the sun out of my eyes.
Picture121.jpg

I can wear it pushed back for the artiste look.
Picture127.jpg

I haven't worn it in the rain yet but I can push it forward when it's sunny and it's about as good as a flatcap to keep the sun out of your eyes. It's cheap so if it does ever shrink, I'll replace it.
Picture130.jpg

Ernest

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I will try to take a picture of the inside of the beret! the gut of the beret so to speak :p it is pretty faded because the lady i bought it from said it was vintage, from the 1950s ,but i will try some time soon if i can! :)

Sparafucile

New in Town
Berets

NonEntity said:
Berets came up on the caps thread, and someone there said he was going to start a thread dedicated to them, but I did a search and did not find anything.

So, I'm starting one.

Well, I'm coming in late on this thread, but I bought my first Basque beret in the early 60s, replaced it in the late 80s, and after I foolishly had that one dry-cleaned and it shrunk, I bought a Borsalino beret about five years ago. The Borso is wonderfully soft, and a bit larger than a Basque...

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I checked out the Borsa beret at a local hattery, and, as NonEntity said much earlier in this thread, I found it to be neither up to par with the Borsa reputation nor competition for top-notch berets in general.

It DID have a nice, soft hand, but the black leather hat band was very thin and did not look like it would hold up. Actually, the whole beret was rather delicate. The diameter--about 11 1/2 inches--was too wide for my taste, as well. The hatter had a whole stack of them, so I was able to try on many sizes, and I discovered that sizing was extremely inconsistent, all over the place, in fact: One 57 would be way too large, while another 57 was be tight as heck.

I finally found a 60! that fit, but didn't get it because it was too broad and flimsy. Further, the only one that fit was black, and I already have a very dark blue beret. However, if you like the Borsa but cannot select the very one you plan to purchase in person, and so must get one online or by catalogue, it probably will not fit once it arrives.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
I will try to take a picture of the inside of the beret! the gut of the beret so to speak :p it is pretty faded because the lady i bought it from said it was vintage, from the 1950s ,but i will try some time soon if i can! :)

Nice photo. The color is very complimentary it works well with your hair and skin tone; and naturally your smile...:)

I was thinking what the color itself signified. As it appears the labels are faded and possibly unreadable, the following may apply:

In addition to a generic beret, uniform berets feature a headband or sweatband attached to the wool, made either from leather or silk, sometimes with a drawstring allowing the wearer to tighten the hat. The drawstrings are, according to custom, tied and cut off/tucked in or else left to dangle. The beret is often adorned with a cap badge, either in cloth or metal. Some berets have a piece of buckram or other stiffener in the position where the badge is intended to be worn.

Berets are often lined with silk, imitation silk or other material. In military berets, the headband is worn on the outside, but that is part of the natural design, since military berets often have external sweatbands of leather, pleather or ribbon. The traditional woolen beret (also worn by selected military units, such as the Belgian Chasseurs Ardennais), usually has the "sweatband" folded in. In such a case, these berets have only an additional inch or so of the same woolen material designed to be folded inward for a more snug fit.

The maroon beret is a military beret and has been an international symbol of elite airborne forces since it was chosen for British airborne forces in World War II. This distinctive head dress was officially introduced in 1942, at the direction of General Frederick Browning, commander of the British 1st Airborne Division. The color of the beret was reportedly chosen by his wife, the novelist Daphne du Maurier. It was first worn by the men of the Parachute Regiment in action in North Africa during November 1942. Although maroon, the beret of the British Parachute Regiment is often known as the "red beret."

Another example is the United States Air Force Pararescue and United States Air Force Combat Control Team. Pararescuemen (known as PJs) perform combat search and rescue duties. That service employs the use of a maroon beret.

I hope this helps with your beret...Happy Holidays..:)

Big_e

Practically Family
Really nice beret Hadley. Kinda makes mine look like snoopy.:) I can see the difference between a quality beret like yours and the cheap one like mine. My beret isn't lined nor has a headband. Mine may not see halfway to next year. I'm already trimming off those "pills" or rolled up wool and lint. I need to upgrade to a basque.
Rather than buy lots of cheap replacements. I'd rather just get 1 or 2 really good berets.
Ernest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24