Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Besame cosmetics

RetroQueen

Familiar Face
Shearer said:
I'm really happy to hear they are doing full sized lipsticks at last, but at what cost?! :eek: :D

Yeah, and I wonder if they will still offer the smaller "bullet casing" lipsticks?

If they do make bakelite packaging...that may also add to the cost. Even "new" bakelite products themselves are expensive!

Shearer

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Indeed...and will many people (besides us crazies) go to a -separate- company just to buy lipstick instead of say sticking with MAC or whatever.....

Right-o! Funny, lipstick might be the thing I like least about Besame, anyway. Whatever Besame shade you like, trust me, there's a cheap alternative somewhere out there! ;) And since one application of Besame lasts for an eternity, it doesn't matter so much that they're tiny... I bought the red set and they will last me into my Golden Years, I presume :rolleyes:

Foundation, OTOH, is tricky, and Besame's worked out for me better than any I've ever tried. Oh, well.

Shearer

Practically Family
Pina Bridgette said:
Thanks for all the updates, ladies!

I recall hearing that they were coming up with some bakelite molds for their products, I thought I missed them but maybe its the new packaging?

The Bakelite thing rang a bell for me, too. Someone posted this article to this thread last March. It talks a little about Gabriela designing a Bakelite piece:

Next spring, Hernandez is introducing a new product line housed in Bakelite, a material first invented in the early 1900s and now highly coveted among vintage and antique jewelry collectors. She spent three months coming up with a mold for a Bakelite lip and eye pencil sharpener in the shape of a hummingbird that can also be worn as a brooch.

However, that article is from October 2006, so make of it what you will [huh]

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Panic!

Hi gals! I'm panicking too, but perhaps for other reasons than you:

I had never tried Besame products and thought I would wait until later to do so. Then I read this thread and thought I could make a bargain. Unfortunately for me the shipping costs to Sweden are higher than my entire order (and I splurged!).

Anyway, they didn't have any samples so I just went and bought the bisque souffle foundation AND the light powder compact without the faintest idea if it will match my skin! Now I'm worried I've wasted my money. I have moderately fair skin and use clinique's "just neutral" clarifying make-up. I'm a brunette, and I love the pale look.

Now I'm afraid I'll end up with a white face and a brown body or something else terrible that happens when you wear make-up that's too light for you skin!

I read through this entire thread before I ordered, but it's hard to tell who has the exact same skin as me. If anyone has any comforting or reassuring words that would be a great help.

RetroQueen

Familiar Face
cherry lips said:
Hi gals! I'm panicking too, but perhaps for other reasons than you:

I had never tried Besame products and thought I would wait until later to do so. Then I read this thread and thought I could make a bargain. Unfortunately for me the shipping costs to Sweden are higher than my entire order (and I splurged!).

Anyway, they didn't have any samples so I just went and bought the bisque souffle foundation AND the light powder compact without the faintest idea if it will match my skin! Now I'm worried I've wasted my money. I have moderately fair skin and use clinique's "just neutral" clarifying make-up. I'm a brunette, and I love the pale look.

Now I'm afraid I'll end up with a white face and a brown body or something else terrible that happens when you wear make-up that's too light for you skin!

I read through this entire thread before I ordered, but it's hard to tell who has the exact same skin as me. If anyone has any comforting or reassuring words that would be a great help.

I use the bisque foundation with the loose powder, and I do touch ups during the day with the light powder compact. I am wearing it in my picture here. I have fair skin, and I like how it looks on me. I can't tell from your photo if your skin is like mine. But here is another photo of me wearing it:

http://a742.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/43/l_03ba40764cae1fdcac285c8b507cd7ed.jpg

RetroQueen

Familiar Face
Shearer said:
Whatever Besame shade you like, trust me, there's a cheap alternative somewhere out there! ;)

Once I start to run low on the eye shadows, rouge, and maybe the lipsticks if they stop making them (I am a fan of Besame lipsticks, I love the shades and they stay on so well and don't make my lips feel dry), I plan on maybe taking them to Sally's or the drug store and seeing if I can match up the colors to another brand.

Shearer

Practically Family
RetroQueen said:
Once I start to run low on the eye shadows, rouge, and maybe the lipsticks if they stop making them (I am a fan of Besame lipsticks, I love the shades and they stay on so well and don't make my lips feel dry), I plan on maybe taking them to Sally's or the drug store and seeing if I can match up the colors to another brand.

RetroQueen - Someone posted this link on the Lounge last year (I forget who... whoever you are: thank you!) and I've been holding on to it for an occasion just like this! :D

Three Custom will blend you a perfect match or your favourite lipstick/eye shadow/nailpolish etc. if you send them a small sample.

Not cheap, but it may be worth it if you ever have a signature colour you just can't bear to part with!

RetroQueen

Familiar Face
Shearer said:
RetroQueen - Someone posted this link on the Lounge last year (I forget who... whoever you are: thank you!) and I've been holding on to it for an occasion just like this! :D

Three Custom will blend you a perfect match or your favourite lipstick/eye shadow/nailpolish etc. if you send them a small sample.

Not cheap, but it may be worth it if you ever have a signature colour you just can't bear to part with!

What a good idea! Thanks for posting that link! :)

RetroQueen

Familiar Face
Any of you ladies receive tracking numbers yet for your orders from Besame? I have not...although I only just ordered on Monday evening. But in the past when I ordered from them they got my order out the same day or next day. I wonder if they are going to take longer to ship because of all the orders they are getting? I placed my first order at 5:44pm eastern on Monday, and my second order at 3:06pm eastern yesterday. If their order numbering goes up by 1 for each order, then in less than 24 hours, they possibly had 227 orders. I don't know how big their packing and shipping dept. is...but that sounds like a lot to me!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Call me a creature of habit...

but I am not thrilled that they are retooling to focus on FULL size lipsticks. I love the retro bullet cases. AND I am totally dependent upon their eyeshadows and rose lotion!

Honey Doll

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I have yet to try this makeup as it is not sold anywhere in Denmark and the shipping from the US is very expensive, but I also think that the small lipsticks sound perfect, cute and easy to fit in your purse and the smaller they are, they better they apply to lips, imo. I have a small mouth and always just use the tip of a lipstick anyway.

RetroQueen

Familiar Face
Do any of you ladies who placed an order this week know if your order has shipped yet? I still have not gotten tracking info, and I have not received a response yet to an email I sent on Tuesday evening checking on the status of my orders.

Also, I just tried calling Besame, and I either get Maria's voicemail, or I am getting disconnected after it rings a few times.

I wonder if they are overwhelmed with all the orders. [huh]

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Audrey Horne said:
I ordered it in light. The website is still showing it as available. Is it not coming up for you?

When I went to order it last week, it was only in dark. Now I will go and order it in light. (if there are any left.. hahaha)

I think, with the quality and level of detail that the current Besame products provide.. the new redesigns and reformulations might be just as good quality wise if not better.

I think having the bakelite and more of a 1950's style will be just as charming. (Although I will always love the Besame of today.)

I am pretty open minded about new formulations and such.. but with that said. I did place a monster order and plan to hermetically seal what products I can't use right now. lol lol

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Miss 1940's said:
what would I do without my Besame Red Lipstick? its the best lisptick ever, even though I graduated from the Jack Benny School of Finance! it was well worth the 25.00 Smack a roos

Are they doing away with the lipsticks? THey haven't dropped the prices on those yet.. or have they?

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
RetroQueen, I placed my order on Tuesday morning and got a confirmation that my order had shipped yesterday afternoon.

I ordered a couple of shadows and two crimson rouges- which, with the almost-full one I already have, ought to keep me rosy cheeked and/or slightly feverish-looking into my 70s. I hope they don't discontinue the product, all the same. :(

On an unrelated Besame note, I guess I didn't replace the cap properly on my cherry red lipstick - found it rolling around in my handbag, open. What a mess! At least it isn't broken (just fuzzy)

RetroQueen

Familiar Face
I just got a hold of someone at Besame, and she said my first order that I placed on Monday did ship yesterday. YAY! :eusa_clap

However my second order that I placed on Tuesday afternoon has not shipped yet, and she said it should ship within the next 36 hours...she said that they have had lot of orders which is causing the delay in shipping. I also asked if there may be a problem in filling my order...if things may run out before my order was shipped, and she said that there should not be a problem filling the order at this time.

So just to let you all know, if you placed your order on Tuesday afternoon or later, there will be a delay in shipping, and hopefully everyone's order will get fulfilled! :)

Added: I just got my tracking number for my second order.

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
I just received an email from Besame notifying me that the Bisque Souffle Foundation has sold out and will not be included in the order that I placed on Tuesday. It's just slightly too dark for me anyway, so I'm not overly disappointed.

I had ordered the Crimson rouge and a refill for my powder compact in Light which I assume are still available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy