Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Besame cosmetics

BonnieJean

Practically Family
verazasulich,
You can try and ask about the high shipping, but I imagine the rest of the $60 shipping cost (minus the actual shipping) is probably the handling fee. A lot of companies charge handling fees above the actual cost of shipping to cover shipping supplies, etc. But I do agree, that is a very high handling fee. As a businesswoman, I've shipped stuff all over the world and have a rough idea what it costs to ship stuff via UPS and other carriers. The high "shipping cost" that Besame charges reflects actual shipping PLUS a fairly large handling fee. I personally, do not charge huge handling fees in my business transactions, but it really is up to each company how much they want to charge. I don't like the high shipping cost, but I did want the cosmetics. Sometimes I can find another company selling the same items but with lower shipping costs.

On a side note, when Besame was first launched their shipping rates were much, much lower. These higher rates have been gradually increased.
I would like a good explanation of the reasoning behind jacking up the shipping as the packaging materials used are not that expensive.

[huh] Guess its the cost of doing business--but I feel your pain and frustration.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
WHAT A MESS PART II

Wow..

Well, I received my box last night, literally at the 11th hour and 59th minute.. and when I opened it up everything was ok EXCEPT my vanity cases.

I ordered two and both of them were dark ones (I have pale skin) and one of them was completely FUBAR. The chocolate eyeshadow was wrecked!!! It literally colored everything chocolate.. it was as if UPS or Besame THREW the box against the wall for a thrill...........then sent it to me.

They credited me for 1 vanity case which was nice.

But all is not lost. I tried the dark concealer and used it as primer and used the dark powder as eyeshadow. I am actually pleased with the results. It looks very 1940s.

Oh well.. better luck on shipment II I suppose.

On a positive note, the lip liner, moisturizer and lipsticks are fantastic!

Inky

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:

But all is not lost. I tried the dark concealer and used it as primer and used the dark powder as eyeshadow. I am actually pleased with the results. It looks very 1940s.

Desi I am glad it finally arrived!! Welcome to Club Besame lol!!

It's good to hear they took care of you by crediting for the messed up vanity case and that you like the products.

I ordered lip liner in my second order, can't wait to try it out.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
:D
Inky said:
Desi I am glad it finally arrived!! Welcome to Club Besame lol!!

It's good to hear they took care of you by crediting for the messed up vanity case and that you like the products.

I ordered lip liner in my second order, can't wait to try it out.

Thanks Inky! I think my husband belongs to Club Besame too...as he had to lay down on the bed in the shape of an 'S' around all of my displayed goods.. LOL

I love the products.. they smell so goood.....and I am actually wearing eyeshadow to work today..

Lipliner.. lol reminds me of that song.."Lean like a chola."

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Wow..

Well, I received my box last night, literally at the 11th hour and 59th minute.. and when I opened it up everything was ok EXCEPT my vanity cases.

I ordered two and both of them were dark ones (I have pale skin) and one of them was completely FUBAR. The chocolate eyeshadow was wrecked!!! It literally colored everything chocolate.. it was as if UPS or Besame THREW the box against the wall for a thrill...........then sent it to me.

they sent me the dark vanity case too, guess by the time they shipped ours they must have run out, nice of them to credit you too (they credited me $6 for mine). I've been using the shadow and the rouge, but I didn't think to use the dark concealer as a primer, thank's for that, now I can make some use for it!

I recieved an email back in response to my email about my Nior Red missing, and Maria said the will send me a replacement and that she was very sorry for the mishap. yay, hopefully that is added along with my shipment that should arrive soon :)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I just received another email from Besame giving me my UPS tracking number and that my order was shipped today. (I placed my order August 6) I checked on the UPS website, but the tracking number only states that billing/shipping info was sent. Its got to come here in the Midwest, so I figure I'll get my order sometime early next week. Looks like Besame is trying to do their best with our orders. I'm sure they never anticipated the HUGE response they got to their closeout sale. Glad you ladies are getting your orders and things have worked out OK with you.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I just got my order today, and I can't, for the life of me, open my blush! I can get the eyeshadow open (a bit of a struggle though), but the blush just won't budge. It keeps popping out of my hands! Is there a trick to this???

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
ShesSoVaVaVoom said:
they sent me the dark vanity case too, guess by the time they shipped ours they must have run out, nice of them to credit you too (they credited me $6 for mine). I've been using the shadow and the rouge, but I didn't think to use the dark concealer as a primer, thank's for that, now I can make some use for it!

I recieved an email back in response to my email about my Nior Red missing, and Maria said the will send me a replacement and that she was very sorry for the mishap. yay, hopefully that is added along with my shipment that should arrive soon :)

serioulsy, try the dark concealer with some of the dark powder on top and then the light powder on the brow and it looks pretty danged fantastic. My skin is uber light and it looks like creamy beiges and tans and gives fabulous definition. I also have hazel eyes and it makes them pop.

BonnieJean, you will probably see tracking information on UPS tomorrow... and then shipped in two days. That has been par for the course for me.

Inky

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
I just got my order today, and I can't, for the life of me, open my blush! I can get the eyeshadow open (a bit of a struggle though), but the blush just won't budge. It keeps popping out of my hands! Is there a trick to this???

Thanks to the Darhling, she gave me a tip to put the case in the fridge for a while then it should open.

I put mine in the freezer for an hour and then still had to use a dull knife to help me along but it opened fairly easily. The Shadow now resides, not fully shut, in my make up case. I'm afraid I'll never get it open again lol

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:

Yes.. spinach!

Serioulsy, we all have the same problem. (and I have no nails) So I got my husband to get it for me.

Although, once you get it open it is easier to open every time after that, I guess hinge needs to be broken in.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Inky said:
Thanks to the Darhling, she gave me a tip to put the case in the fridge for a while then it should open.

I put mine in the freezer for an hour and then still had to use a dull knife to help me along but it opened fairly easily. The Shadow now resides, not fully shut, in my make up case. I'm afraid I'll never get it open again lol

Haha, I finally got it open, but now my hand hurts! I'm too scared to close it now too!

Inky

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Yes.. spinach!

Serioulsy, we all have the same problem. (and I have no nails) So I got my husband to get it for me.

Although, once you get it open it is easier to open every time after that, I guess hinge needs to be broken in.

Hopefully this hinge problem will be one of the "reformulations" that is a good and positive fix. I have nails and eat all kinds of spinach and was still duped by the pistachio eyeshadow container ;)

Good news y'all are getting your stuff though - if Bonnie Jean ordered on the 6th and got her tracking number today, maybe I will hear about my 8/8 order in a couple of days.

Because, of course, I NEED MORE MAKEUP like I need another hole in my head.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Inky said:
Hopefully this hinge problem will be one of the "reformulations" that is a good and positive fix. I have nails and eat all kinds of spinach and was still duped by the pistachio eyeshadow container ;)

Good news y'all are getting your stuff though - if Bonnie Jean ordered on the 6th and got her tracking number today, maybe I will hear about my 8/8 order in a couple of days.

Because, of course, I NEED MORE MAKEUP like I need another hole in my head.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I just don't buy that they are reformulating.. I bet they are closing shop.

I would of course, like to be proven wrong.....

It reminds me when Benefit started repackaging their makeup using more hokey 1970's ish type of graphics and I lost interest. Their sales actually plummeted. (According to the counter manager at Macy's in my town.) Their original 40s-50s style graphics are what roped me in the first place. I lost interest in it after that. I hope that doesn't happen with Besame.

And yes, more make up...! A hole in the head is good....! LOL

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
Am I analyzing too much???

I too made an order on 8/6 and received my tracking number today. I also made 2 orders on the 10th so I'll probably receive the tracking number for those in 4 days. Their newsletter is pretty acurate when they said to please allow at least 6 days extra because of the pile-up of orders.

As far as closing shop, I don't think that's the case as they tripled in annual revenue by the end of 2006. How much more now since then, especially with many of the Fedora Lounge ladies (including myself) spreading the word on our discovery? As for the vanity case and certain lipstick and foundation, they've been trying to sell them out since last year (if any of you remember their sale on eBay in April '07). I'm sure they have a lot of stuff cooked up but are waiting for the right time to introduce it. What better way than to sell out the old first, right? Do you guys remember hearing about the art deco 30s lipstick casing they never actually sold or the hummingbird sharpener with the refill lipliners? I called about this set back in '06 and they told me that it's not available yet but eventually it will be. I'm assuming these are gonna part of the new collection. I think they just want to get rid of the old stuff before introducing the new stuff.

When I went to Glendale for their sale in 2006, they were selling all different types of items. [Gabriela is a DOLL in person, by the way, and so very sweet]. They had a lot of stuff for sale that day that werent even make-up. I'm pretty sure it was to increase financial resource for upcoming items. There were make-up bags, also the red Besame satin roll and a pink one that wasn't branded Besame [which I believe they originally got the idea from], fans with the Besame Chrysanthemum design on it, several retractable lipstick brushes, vintage clothes and hats, just all types of stuff. I bought their little Besame vanity mirror (for $15) [see pic I've provided]. It's sitting on top of my dresser actually. Now, I wish I had bought the lipstick holder as well to hold all of my besame lipsticks.

besame-1.jpg

I wonder why they haven't had a sale at their botique as it was supposedly an "annual" thing. Anyone other than me remember when you used to have to call to set up an appointment to go there to buy their makeup? Besame has come A LONG ways from there. I really doubt they are closing shop. Like I said, they've been trying to get rid of some of this stuff for awhile. I'm guessing they want to make room and maybe hype up the new stuff. That's probably why they made their prices so low to sell out FAST so they could finally unveil their new items. I'm excited. Anyone else?

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Vix Vixen said:
I too made an order on 8/6 and received my tracking number today. I also made 2 orders on the 10th so I'll probably receive the tracking number for those in 4 days. Their newsletter is pretty acurate when they said to please allow at least 6 days extra because of the pile-up of orders.

As far as closing shop, I don't think that's the case as they tripled in annual revenue by the end of 2006. How much more now since then, especially with many of the Fedora Lounge ladies (including myself) spreading the word on our discovery? As for the vanity case and certain lipstick and foundation, they've been trying to sell them out since last year (if any of you remember their sale on eBay in April '07). I'm sure they have a lot of stuff cooked up but are waiting for the right time to introduce it. What better way than to sell out the old first, right? Do you guys remember hearing about the art deco 30s lipstick casing they never actually sold or the hummingbird sharpener with the refill lipliners? I called about this set back in '06 and they told me that it's not available yet but eventually it will be. I'm assuming these are gonna part of the new collection. I think they just want to get rid of the old stuff before introducing the new stuff.

When I went to Glendale for their sale in 2006, they were selling all different types of items. [Gabriela is a DOLL in person, by the way, and so very sweet]. They had a lot of stuff for sale that day that werent even make-up. I'm pretty sure it was to increase financial resource for upcoming items. There were make-up bags, also the red Besame satin roll and a pink one that wasn't branded Besame [which I believe they originally got the idea from], fans with the Besame Chrysanthemum design on it, several retractable lipstick brushes, vintage clothes and hats, just all types of stuff. I bought their little Besame vanity mirror (for $15) [see pic I've provided]. It's sitting on top of my dresser actually. Now, I wish I had bought the lipstick holder as well to hold all of my besame lipsticks.

besame-1.jpg

I wonder why they haven't had a sale at their botique as it was supposedly an "annual" thing. Anyone other than me remember when you used to have to call to set up an appointment to go there to buy their makeup? Besame has come A LONG ways from there. I really doubt they are closing shop. Like I said, they've been trying to get rid of some of this stuff for awhile. I'm guessing they want to make room and maybe hype up the new stuff. That's probably why they made their prices so low to sell out FAST and finally unveil their new items. I'm excited. Anyone else?

I would like to agree with you and do on some points, but the thing that I remember is that they JUST recently introduced their 1930's gingerbread mascara..................................and now it is being liquidated.

It doesn't make sense.....why discontinue the nostalgic styling and formulas that pretty much MADE the company what it is?

I just fear that if they are going to reformulate and repackage everything...and it looks like ho-hum crap you could buy at Walgreen's (no offense to Walgreen's.......Miss1940's) what would be the allure to buy it?

I mean, I bet the majority of us fell for the unique packaging and almost dead-on vintage color reproductions.

I love Besame as much as the next gal, I don't want to see them go, but there are so many inconsistencies up and down with the information given.

Yes, what happened to the deco case? Or the bird sharpener? I never saw any of those items....

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
desi_de_lu_lu said:
It doesn't make sense.....why discontinue the nostalgic styling and formulas that pretty much MADE the company what it is?

I just fear that if they are going to reformulate and repackage everything...and it looks like ho-hum crap you could buy at Walgreen's (no offense to Walgreen's.......Miss1940's) what would be the allure to buy it?

The reason for the reformulation is to make them more chemical free and so forth.....I don't necessarily see that as anything to do with drastically changing the packaging in style.

Remember, in terms of the cosmetics industry....Besame is still small stuff.....and in order to have a 'batch' of something made...its probably meant pre-ordering a ton of stuff.......which in order to change anything...they now need to get rid of....

and why we haven't seen some of the things that have been alluded to? My wager is that sometimes...they get excited about something...have a prototype...and mention it....only to realise that with -their- quantity ...would be a fortune to manufacture.....

and heck...we have all complained about the lipstick falling apart...the eyeshadow/blushes being hard as heck to open...etc.

So there is room for vast improvement -within- the same general style asthetic.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
The reason for the reformulation is to make them more chemical free and so forth.....I don't necessarily see that as anything to do with drastically changing the packaging in style.

Remember, in terms of the cosmetics industry....Besame is still small stuff.....and in order to have a 'batch' of something made...its probably meant pre-ordering a ton of stuff.......which in order to change anything...they now need to get rid of....

and why we haven't seen some of the things that have been alluded to? My wager is that sometimes...they get excited about something...have a prototype...and mention it....only to realise that with -their- quantity ...would be a fortune to manufacture.....

and heck...we have all complained about the lipstick falling apart...the eyeshadow/blushes being hard as heck to open...etc.

So there is room for vast improvement -within- the same general style asthetic.

I totally agree with the lipsticks falling apart and the cases being hard to open. That would be an improvement..

However, I read in an email in their newsletter back at the end of 2007 or early 2008 that they were discontinuing their current line. Then, a week later another email came out specifiying that they would list certain items as Au Revoir and it was the last time to purchase those products.

It am just saying that what (seemingly) they are doing now goes completely against what they started out to do. Do you think they would need to sell out of everything to reformulate their lipsticks without chemicals or take the parabens out of whatever makeup of theirs contains parabens?

And why get rid of the gingerbread mascara? That mascara is about as pure as you can get....

I don't know Miss Neecerie, I am not trying to be paranoid.. but it is so bizarre. I have been following Besame for years now and some of the "coming soon" items, never came.... :( I am just wondering if their reformulations will ever come too. That is all.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
desi_de_lu_lu said:
It am just saying that what (seemingly) they are doing now goes completely against what they started out to do. Do you think they would need to sell out of everything to reformulate their lipsticks without chemicals or take the parabens out of whatever makeup of theirs contains parabens?

In a word....yes.

A company this size...can formulate the new products in a lab on a small scale....but -manufacturing- them for actual sale would take capital.

And they probably don't have heaps of free capital sitting in the bank to just order batches, while their storehouse is -full- of old products, that they could not sell to us -after- introducing new formulations.

So two birds with one stone....a fire sale raises the $ to order the new products in batches large enough to sell....and it empties the storeroom for the stuff once it would arrive.

otherwise they would be -throwing- out old product and I cannot see that being good for anyone ;)

Even the big names....sell off as much of an old product as possible...before announcing it would go away....or introducing the
replacement....

But I -promise- to let you tell me "I told you so" a million times if you are right....deal? ;)

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
Miss Neecerie said:
And they probably don't have heaps of free capital sitting in the bank to just order batches, while their storehouse is -full- of old products, that they could not sell to us -after- introducing new formulations.

So two birds with one stone....a fire sale raises the $ to order the new products in batches large enough to sell....and it empties the storeroom for the stuff once it would arrive.

There you go! That's the point I was trying to make earlier. "Capital" was the word I was looking for! :):sigh:: oh, economics) Instead I said "financial resource" lol. But yea, basically, I was thinking the same thing and you were able to articulate it. :D Thank you Miss Neecerie

Blondie

Practically Family
I would imagine that they would have developed new lines to run along side of lines that were closing out. I really cannot think of any other cosmetic house that would sell everything, including a new line of mascara, at a discounted price to simply fund a new formulation, doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Makes me think they have run into financial problems and are about to shut up shop...........remember not so long ago there was a bunch of "bulk" Besame on Ebay for sale ???? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner