Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best 21oz denim?

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Can I suggest you drop a line to these guys

http://www.denimio.com/samurai-jeans-s510xx-21oz-straight-selvage-denim.html?___SID=U

As they're japan based, the prices are much cheaper and include free postage. You may have to pay customs charges & local VAT on entry to wherever you are, but even with that they'll work out significantly cheaper.

They speak good english too so you won't have any language/translation issues.

Thank you very much, this is a lot cheaper indeed! Will definitely drop them a line.

Mr black

Familiar Face
Another bonus is that you get them with the red tab intact. If bought from Europe or US they'd have to be cut off.

(shakes fist at Levis!!)

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you for the very informative posts and links. I am sold on the Samurai 510xx in 21oz. Does anyone know of a quality US dealer? Son of a Stag's prices are a tad high, otherwise I'd have to order through Rakuten.

Craig, the belts on that website are awesome! Do you know what leather weight they use?
Some of the shops on Rakuten do not charge Japanese consumption tax. e.g.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/2nd/item/sj-s510xx19oz/
The price include 8% tax and you will be billed less.
http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/2nd/info_en.html

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Another bonus is that you get them with the red tab intact. If bought from Europe or US they'd have to be cut off.

(shakes fist at Levis!!)

Yeah... I'm not intimately familiar with the details, but as I recall this is largely because Japanese trade mark law offers rather more wriggle room for reproductions than what we typically have in the West, with regards to marks still in use.

devilish

A-List Customer
http://blueingreensoho.com/ This is the best and possibly only place to get Samurai in the U.S. and you might be pleasantly surprised by the appearance of a certain red accessory but don't mention that to anyone. They offer chain stitched hemming and will give you good sizing advice.

Levi's couldn't make the lawsuit stick in Japan so that's why they compromised and tried to stop the Japanese makers sending pairs with arcs and tabs to the rest of the world.

Go to the Superdenim section on Superfuture. There you'll find a Samurai thread of over 700 pages with all the info and pictures you could ever want. A member named beautiful freak has posted a fantastic fit guide on there.

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
Besides the 23 ounce Gustin also has an 18 ounce in the store right now. As others have mentioned once you wear heavy weight denim normal denim seems very flimsy and cheap. They do mould to your body like a good leather jacket .
I don't think you can go wrong with most of the brands mentioned. Just take a look at the style, denim color and any designs on the back pockets to see you what you like.
Keep an eye on Ebay as barely used heavy weight come up quite often for about half the price.
Most important measure a pair of jeans that you like and match to that. Waist, rise, leg opening everything.
Let us know what you go with.

Last edited:

mendelboaz

One Too Many
In about 2 months I'll be purchasing a pair of 510xx's through Denimio. Way cheaper than Blue in Green. The Superfuture Samurai thread is awesome, very informative and I love those pics.

injunjack

One of the Regulars
I own 2 pairs of 21 oz Iron Heart, the IH634s and 461sp and one pair of 21oz duck IH804. "s" stands for sanforised. So if you find a pair of 634 (without the s) then they are raw. Samurai uses natural indigo and very raw denim cloth and they fade very quickly. Iron Heart's cloth feel smooth and the indigo colour looks modern. Kojima Genes Japan offers some pretty heavy stuffs like 21, 23 and 29oz and they are cheaper than Samurai or Iron Heart. Kojima is closer in terms of colour and cloth to Samurai. I picked Iron Heart because I hate jeans that bleed indigo all over.

WRONG

S stands for selvedge. 634 and 461 without S are non-selvedge fabric. To my knowledge they are only available in Japan atm.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WRONG

S stands for selvedge. 634 and 461 without S are non-selvedge fabric. To my knowledge they are only available in Japan atm.
You are right. My mistake about the "s". On the other hand, the non-s model are available outside Japan as I have seen and tried them in shops outside Japan but I guess the non-selvedge japanese jeans have close to zero appeal to overseas buyers. The shop I was in have stopped stocking non-s and was selling off their last few pairs but one can still order through them.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Just found out that Ironheart had 21 oz. jeans in my size now. I was thinkin' about a pair till I saw the price plus delivery was north of $350 dollars. Sorry... can't justify that one.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy