Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Aero linings.

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
Just to throw another lining choice out there, Aero does have Harris tweed available. The pattern and color schemes depend on what they're able to get from the crofters, but Holly says they'll only install what goes with the color of the jacket.

My next Aero is going to be a Bootlegger with a complementary HT lining. I'm trying to come up with a unique hide for it ... any suggestions from you guys? Pioneer in analine steer; LHB in cordovan FQHH (I think!); Hercules in brown FQHH; and HG5 in cherry FQHH lined in my family tartan. What would be a good/unique addition??

Thanks!

I've had/have Alpaca, Tartan wool, and drill from Aero.
I like the tartan the most. Alpaca was tow arm for SoCal and was a tad itchy for a T-Shirt only. Was very nice though in the UK, Scotland, and France during the winter. I had it in an Aero HG-5.
Tartan is my favorite for looks and decent warmth, without being too hot.
Drill is of course what you get for a warmer weather jacket as it's just not warm. I don't like the heavy drill in my Aero 50's HBD as it tends to pull down to the cuff and is hard to pull certain shirt sleeves through. I should have gone with satin/sateen or the like.
Light drill/cotton for the A-2 is very nice and durable for a warmer weather jacket.
Tweed I would like to try sometime. I like the inside of the jacket to have some style like the shell, so for me, I prefer a little oomph inside :)

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
And moleskin, too! They don't have it on the website, but it's evidently available, as the Hercules I got on the sales site -- it was an overrun for KenTaurus.de leathers -- was in black moleskin. It's VERY classy against the Aero brown FQHH, but in the sleeves, it tends to be a bit grabby, as would corduroy, in my opinion.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
double alpaca under and full satin over it warm and sleek

If that level of warmth is needed, why not just go with shearling lining? Do you have a jacket with double alpaca under and full satin , and if so, how does it work for you?

schitzo

Suspended
yep, it's doubtful. I've also heard earlier on this evening that Ken doesn't want to do cord hems anymore. Whether or not that means he has another solution in mind, I don't know. But if you ask me I've always thought they don't look quite right

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I like mine, but I think don't think it's historically accurate. I recall Holly saying that the six inch cord hem was originally found on sheepskin linings.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think that maybe Ken's primary objection with the cord lining relates to his aesthetic aversion to the overall appearance. I have a 2" black cord hem with my black HWM and black cotton drill that is hardly noticeable, and I like the feel of the cord hem on my belt line. If I lived in the UK, I would have perhaps ordered my vintage brown Teamster lined with Weathered Grant tartan without a cord lining. However, lining replacement or repair done by Aero incurs shipping cost from Texas to Scotland more expensive than a lining replacement. Hence, I decided to go with a cord lining to help protect the lining at the bottom of the jacket. The most difficult decision regarding my order was deciding on how to proceed with the lining. Everything else was fairly easy and straight forward. I came within an inch (pun intended) of going with a corduroy body lining and cotton drill sleeve lining, and would have done so if I lived much further north of the Texas/Oklahoma state line.

schitzo

Suspended
but Fanch, surely you could find someone over there to re-line it if necessary? For example, who are the people Worf said he would ask to shorten the sleeves on his newly acquired 'cossack'? I would have thought they could manage it

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
but Fanch, surely you could find someone over there to re-line it if necessary? For example, who are the people Worf said he would ask to shorten the sleeves on his newly acquired 'cossack'? I would have thought they could manage it

My plan is to have Aero jacket linings outlive me.:D

Zaxxon

New in Town
I am thinking of ordering a C.H.I.P.S. as my future motorbike jacket. Reading all this about the cotton drill being the least warm option, I start thinking whether Aero might realize a quilted satin version which I would prefer. Not too warm, not too cold and a very good feeling.
Has anyone heard of such an option?

Best regards,
Zaxxon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner