Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Boot Cut Jean

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Mav said:
Because a designer hat is an over- priced luxury,with a certain market, but jeans, no matter all this selvedge crap, are cotton farm/ ranchwear. I wear them when camping, pulling weeds, and greasing up my truck axles.
$150 for a pair of jeans is unfathomable and unconscionable.
And makes me laugh. Buy 'em if they make you feel better about yourself- I'd prefer to spend that on groceries or ammunition.

You're really not a Fedora Lounge kinda guy, are you?

kyboots

Practically Family
Boot Cut Jeans

Boot cut jeans are a " new " item. "Rodeo Garments" are Wrangler jeans straight cut (as they all are) and they fit over boots. It's only because of this skinny jeans s.crap... that "stealth flares" appeared. I agree with ya' ! Also a comment. What difference does it make regarding a price on jeans? Some folks spend money on different things that are high priced like certain brands of leather jackets. Whether it's jeans or jackets, I don't care so why should anybody else? Get a grip people! John

The Good

Call Me a Cab
In regard to jeans: I could see both sides of the argument, but as for me, I think I'll just stick with $40.00 Levi's, or maybe Wrangler. There's no way I can possibly justify myself spending that much on jeans, as nice as a pair may be.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
This is what worked for me. Go to a thrift store and you'll find a wide variety of brands and cuts. I ended up with a pair of Old Navy jeans and a pair of Worn jeans that retail for around $100. I got two great-fitting pairs of jeans for $10. The Worn jeans needed hemming and repairs, which my tailor did for $14.

Truth to tell, the Old Navy jeans look and feel almost as good as the pricier Worn jeans.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
kyboots said:
Some folks spend money on different things that are high priced like certain brands of leather jackets. Whether it's jeans or jackets, I don't care so why should anybody else? Get a grip people! John

Man speak with unforked tongue! It doesn't really matter, to tell you the truth. Each to their own.

One thing I find a bit pointless, though, when you see people wearing a really top end leather jacket with a pair of stonewashed mall jeans and a pair of 'orthopedic'-looking leisure shoes - I just think, what's the point? It's like wearing a 1940s suit with a cheap shirt, polyester tie and plastic shoes – it just totally negates the craftsmanship (or craftswomanship) of a superb item of clothing!

If money is an issue, I just think that many people would be better off buying 'dry' (ie dark) classically-designed jeans like the Wrangler Rodeo jeans or Shrink-To-Fit 501s, both of which are pretty widely available in the US for $30-40 a pair, and then wearing 'em in simply by washing and everyday use. IMHO, this would dovetail nicely with any philosophical and monetary issues, and be a big aesthetic improvement!

KnoxvilleRoxie

New in Town
BIG E's

I personaly like my 501 Big E's and they have the salv edge but any levis will do to be honest - if your looking for something more casual I know a few rockin' guys that have got some jeans from GAP that work pretty well with boots.

Edward

Bartender
Mr Badger said:
If money is an issue, I just think that many people would be better off buying 'dry' (ie dark) classically-designed jeans like the Wrangler Rodeo jeans or Shrink-To-Fit 501s, both of which are pretty widely available in the US for $30-40 a pair, and then wearing 'em in simply by washing and everyday use. IMHO, this would dovetail nicely with any philosophical and monetary issues, and be a big aesthetic improvement!

I agree. A lot of course depends on how often you wear jeans... I'm certainly not anti-denim (I tend to bridle at the anti-denim snobbery that rears its ugly head within the vintage community on occasion), but I do find myself less inclined to spend big money on a pair of jeans than might be the case if I wore 'em all day, every day. (Actually wearing a pair today for the first time in maybe six or eight weeks.) You're right, though, that if you're not too fussed about selvedge and finer details like that, it isn't hard to get some really nice jeans at a much more affordable price. Even here in the UK.... my Prison Blues were in the region of £50 a pair, and I've had those two and a half years now, better wearing than anything else I've ever owned (including a couple of pairs of modern Levis which wore badly on the inner thigh within a year). Tempted to experiment with a pair of 40s-cut US military denim jeans from Soldier of Fortune next...

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Curly W said:
Looking for a good boot cut jean with regular rise for my new Black Jack Boots ( alligator).

Don't know what you mean by regular rise. Levi's 517 is a good pair of boot cut jeans with high rise, and 527 with low rise. I like them both.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I haven't worn 501's in YEARS, like 25 of them, BUT I remember then being too slim to wear over my boots. Of course, this was before the whole Calvin Klein vs sagging thing got started.

Later

theinterchange

One Too Many
Mr Badger said:

I agree with this, and think it's the perfect way to have "custom" worn/distressed jeans at a non bank breaking price. I prefer spending as little as possible on jeans, but not discount store Wrangler or Levi Strauss Signature jeans.

KnoxvilleRoxie said:
I personaly like my 501 Big E's and they have the salv edge but any levis will do to be honest - if your looking for something more casual I know a few rockin' guys that have got some jeans from GAP that work pretty well with boots.

Gap mens jeans are, in my experience all a little flared, and would work well with boots.

Atomic

One of the Regulars
I'm hard on jeans and I tend to like the Lucky's I've had. Most have a small flare for boots, which I wear Frye boots and cowboy boots often and I think they look great. I pretty much refuse to buy most of jeans at full price and just pick through the stuff on sale which you can usually find them for about 60 bucks. I find that price fair considering I will burn through cheaper denim pretty quickly. I never really liked the fit or feel of Levi's 501s, too boxy and rub funny on my hips and inner legs. Maybe I'm just a sissy.

Big Star are also good tough jeans, although sometimes a little too designer looking with the stitching on the pockets, and also pricey. Again, you can find them on sale pretty often. Nordstroms Rack will have them for dirt cheap at times, and luckily I'm really skinny and tall, so my size is usually left over.

For what its worth, I ride and work on motorcycles, occation rock climb, work around the house and such in my jeans and they are constantly being subject to various oil and chemical stains. The Lucky's and Big Stars hold up well.

kyboots

Practically Family
I am wearing Lucky's today to the office and cowboy boots. As I stated earlier they look good and hold up to everyday activity. I have not seen Big Star before will have to look for some on sale. I don't know what size in Big Star I would wear since these darn things vary so much. In Lucky's it's 34x34 so I have a "jeans quest". John

Atomic

One of the Regulars
Big Stars feel a little stiffer than my Lucky's, but a tad bit roomier. Not much, just a smidge. I'm wearing the same size in both, however I've tried on plenty of Lucky's where I have wanted to bump done a size in the waist. I am built weird and have to try jeans on in order to make sure they fit, the tailoring is never the same even by the numbers.

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
Ariat has jeans now and I'm told they hired someone from Seven for all Mankind to design them. Anyway, I have several pair and they are my fav to wear with boots. The M3 and hard to find M4 are both boot cut, but not as flared as a boot cut from Lucky. One thing, please, please please get them long if you go with a big flare. Nothing is tackier than highwaters with boots, imo.

Atomic

One of the Regulars
Ariat has jeans now and I'm told they hired someone from Seven for all Mankind to design them. Anyway, I have several pair and they are my fav to wear with boots. The M3 and hard to find M4 are both boot cut, but not as flared as a boot cut from Lucky. One thing, please, please please get them long if you go with a big flare. Nothing is tackier than highwaters with boots, imo.

+1 on getting the jeans long. Not so long that they pile up on the boot in a mound, but a fold or two at the bottom is ideal.

I'll have to look at the Ariat jeans. How expensive are they?

kyboots

Practically Family
I will have to look at the Ariat too. They sound great. Another option { not "vintage"} you should look at is Cinch jeans, when you look at the Ariat . They are sized true to life, wear well, and are snug. I love the look with boots, and have several pairs. I think you true cowboy boot wear'ers will like the Cinch jeans and they make a mean tan color dressy looking jean. Sharp! for everyday casual. I also agree long jeans, to the point that some of mind fold over too much Sorry Atomic! John

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
I'll have to look at the Ariat jeans. How expensive are they?[/QUOTE]

I think they run about $50-60.

Second on the Cinch jeans. Although I think the Ariat has a more modern cut than most Cinch models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner