Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best FL-er costumes 2009

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
You two both look fantastic!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Snookie said:
We didn't make it to Cicada on Sunday, but I thought I'd post our Halloween costumes here: Carmen Miranda and Charlie Chaplin!
4060248388_b0408a9826_o.jpg

The Chaplin costume was about the easiest costume I've ever done - thank goodness for the closet full of ill-fitting clothes! :eusa_doh: ;) I made my Carmen outfit - using fabrics from my stash and borrowing jewelry from friends kept the cost to about $30. Not bad, huh?

Any more vintage-inspired costumes out there this year?

Snookie

Practically Family
Thanks Carey! You look fantastic too - I'd have a hard time returning that outfit to my husband if I looked that good in it!:eusa_clap

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Gosh, thanks Snookie- Its been a kick altering and wearing this, so totally different for me! I love all of it; the clothes, the vintage hairstyling, the eyelash extensions, the red pointed oval nails, and the fancy PL shoes too.

I'm now inspired to look for a vintage tailcoat, shirt, vest and tie and have them custom fitted for me... For many years I've had a vintage ad for Chesterfield cigarettes that showed Fred Astaire AND his sister Adele Astaire both wearing white tie and tails.

Snookie said:
Thanks Carey! You look fantastic too - I'd have a hard time returning that outfit to my husband if I looked that good in it!:eusa_clap

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I took the precaution of preparing early for handing out treats and the late night haunted house circuit. Not saying I'm the best, but I'm pretty darn proud:

Halloween3001.jpg

I had just finished reading a book about vamps of the 1920's, so Vilma Banky and Theda Bara were my last-minute inspiration.

Come on, stretch out your necks! ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Snookie said:
We didn't make it to Cicada on Sunday, but I thought I'd post our Halloween costumes here: Carmen Miranda and Charlie Chaplin!

The Chaplin costume was about the easiest costume I've ever done - thank goodness for the closet full of ill-fitting clothes! :eusa_doh: ;) I made my Carmen outfit - using fabrics from my stash and borrowing jewelry from friends kept the cost to about $30. Not bad, huh?

You know Carmen Miranda never wore undies? Not that I'm suggesting anything or . . . uhhhh . . . errr . . . I mean . . . that is . . . (backs slowly out of the door and disappears . . . )

Snookie

Practically Family
I did come across a rather compromising photo of her when I was researching my costume...I will say that I was *not* going for complete authenticity...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
You know Carmen Miranda never wore undies? Not that I'm suggesting anything or . . . uhhhh . . . errr . . . I mean . . . that is . . . (backs slowly out of the door and disappears . . . )

Have you by chance read Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon? ;)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Snookie said:

And the whole night I thought he was hitler.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I started this year's costume with my old Renaissance Faire gear, along with a floor-length trench coat. I added hat and boots, a leather belt from my closet, a few sashes and a head scarf, a borrowed scabbard and blunderbuss, some cheap costume jewelry, and copious amounts of eye makeup. The mustache was inspired by Errol Flynn.

I took a few pictures before going out tonight...
IMG_3300_CROP_Small.jpg

IMG_3324_CROP_Small.jpg

IMG_3312_CROP_Small.jpg

And then more at the party I went to, where I met a very cute Willy Wonka.

IMG_3330_CROP_Small.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Decided to play around with trying to create my own version of an online pic I had found of Marlene Dietrich, so last night we went over late to the Standford Theater in Palo Alto. A fabulously restored 1926 Art Deco movie palace. They graciously allowed us to take photographs in their lobby stairwell area. In my full white tail and tails regalia; with gardenia pin, silk pocket square, vintage pocket watch and vintage watch chain. I'm holding my vintage 40s AO eyeglasses
377083484.jpg

The back view, showing off the vintage suspenders here, and how nicely these vintage 30s tuxedo were altered to fit me like a glove. A good alterations gal is worth her weight in gold!
377083440.jpg

Forgive the red eye here in this first pic- I don't know how to do that fix on Photoshop yet! Usually pics taken with my not wearing my eyeglasses don't come out so well, but I liked these
377083381.jpg
377083315.jpg

The parting shot, very late or very early rather-my hair is a bit of a mess from wearing the hat all evening, but I don't care...
377083294.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
Marc Chevalier leaving his mimeograph machine for a moment to yell up to me that the stock market is crashing, and that all our dreams, all our money is gone... forever!

Detachable collar, real ticker-tape distressed appearance and all.

12436_162710378810_642563810_2901859_7361140_n.jpg

Is that at the Oviatt Building?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points