Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best "hat movie" ever?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I recall Jack Lemmon in both "Notorious Landlady" and "The Apartment" wearing a hat at various points. In "Apartment" he sports both a stingy-brimmed fedora and, later, a derby, which his character calls the "Young Executive" model.

Buddy Ebsen wears a relatively short-brimmed Open Road in his scenes as Audrey Hepburn's abandoned husband in "Breakfast at Tiffany's."

I have a dim memory of Henry Fonda, as the cop in charge of what we'd call a serial killer case today, wearing a fedora in "The Boston Strangler." That, I think, was '67 or so? And I'm pretty sure that Richard Widmark wore a fedora in his "Madigan" TV series, but that was later still.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
James Bonds Trilby

Dr-No_Sean-Connery_Jamica_grey-suit-trilby-front_bmp.jpg
DN_108.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilby

http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/index_clothing.php?m=cl&g=cl013

http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/index_clothing.php?m=cl&g=cl038

Last edited:

djd

Practically Family
Dull I know but I love Indys hat from the Cairo scenes in raiders. I also love McQueens hat from the Magnificent Seven. William Powell wore some great hats in the Thin Man films. I like to think that I now can appreciate a good hat on the screen but it's all down to my original love of Indianas Raiders fedora....

Indy_Rhodes

New in Town
How about "Out of Africa" for some tropical hats?

The whole film glows in period detail. Robert Redford has some nice wide brimmed hats (and Meryl Streep has some good ones too!). If I could work out how to upload an image or two...I would. I'm sure somebody will be able to sometime.

Last edited:

irb

Familiar Face
Apart from The Fedora Lounge II: Revenge of the Snap Brim Borsalino, I would offer Le Samourai and, well, Johnnie Depp looks great in a bowler: Dead Man.

I would also submit Kurosawa's Kagemusha as the best hat movie ever, but in a different forum. *grin*

rlk

I'll Lock Up
A movie where a major character happens to occasionally wear a hat is hardly "Best Hat Movie ever". Check out any 30's or 40's movie with a scene at the race track or a train station and you will see a greater variety of hats in one screen shot than most of the titles in this thread combined-- approaching the Douglas Epic...

Last edited:

topango

Familiar Face
"The Killing" staring Sterling Hayden, not only are there some hats, but Sterling recruits some hoodlums to help him rob a race track, and if I remember correctly, they are employed at a hat factory.

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
My vote would be for the Newton Boys, a movie about brothers who became bank robbers in the 1920's. The hats were varied and excellent.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Nice job mentioning James Bond's hat! I actually plan on getting a hat very similar to his someday. Maybe even this year...

Brim -- stingy brim.

Connery makes you think of the Will Smith line from "Men In Black" ... "The difference is, I make this look good."

You could put Connery in a narrow lapel suit with a stingy brim hat and he'd still own the screen. It's no wonder he was Indiana Jones' dad!

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy