Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best "hat movie" ever?

TopSpin

New in Town
To tell the truth, I haven't seen enough old cinema to pick a best hat movie, but I've always enjoyed the panama fedora worn by Clyde Barrow during (duh) Bonnie & Clyde.

Great movie, too--moved America away from classical Hollywood to American New Wave. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hollywood)

bonnieclydemovie.jpg

indycop said:
:eusa_doh: Now I have to go and get that movie!
IC, It's a good'un...ride for the brand & all that = pure Louis L'Amour. Has Ken Curtis, too, not in Festus mode. His other one I liked was Quick & the Dead, NOT the Sharon Stone piece of crud...His flick on Bill Tilgman(sp?) was good too.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
You know Ken Curtis was a singer as well. He replaced Frank Sinatra as the vocalist in the Tommy Dorsey Band. Curtis also sang with the Son of the Pioneers for several years.:eek:fftopic:

carouselvic said:
You know Ken Curtis was a singer as well. He replaced Frank Sinatra as the vocalist in the Tommy Dorsey Band. Curtis also sang with the Son of the Pioneers for several years.:eek:fftopic:
:eek:fftopic: Oh definitely. He did that song in John Wayne's the Searchers. Great voice.

Tampahound

One of the Regulars
I think my favorite hat movie is Guys and Dolls.

clip 1

or this scene...

clip 2

Great movie...but I must comment on the casting of this movie...Brando as Sky and Sinatra as Nathan? Seems backwards to me![huh]

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
tracyam said:
Once Upon a Time in America. I just watched it for the first time. What an amazing movie. It has an enormous collection of caps and fedoras and all of them look great.

The music in that film is great too.I was finally persuaded to get a newsboy cap after seeing Noodles wearing one when he came out of jail.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Road to Perdition

Without a doubt the Greatest Modern Hat movie is:
Road to Perdition
First, it showed us hat can take a beating
Road20To20Perdition2.jpg

road_to_perdition.jpg

There are many shots where the rain is guttering off of the hats.
Next it showed style:

ea6186ac.jpg

RoadToPerdition.jpg

"Brother can you Spare a Dime"

And finally there were so many hats

road_to_perdition_xl_05--film-B.jpg

This shot covers several blocks of Downtown Chicago showing Hundreds of hats (it goes on and on :D :D )

Plus it is a Great Movie

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
tinmanzzz said:
Found the missing picture

ROAD_TO_PERDITION-1big.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

:D You made me go rent it again for the umpteenth time today. I may have to just buy it eventually. What a great movie..........and the hats:eusa_clap

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Any of the Thin Man films.

We watched "Another Thin Man" (1939) last night. What struck me was the men's natural casualness with the hats. The Assistant DA's homburg with a stray dent on the right side, for instance.

Fun movie but I kept getting distracted by the hats! :eusa_doh:

Cheers,
Tom

RHY

One of the Regulars
NY City

The original movie, "The Naked City", had the best variety of hat since most of the scenes were filmed in the actual streets with the public as the back drop. The people in many of the scenes were not "extras" but ordinary people on the streets of New York. The camera was hidden in a panel van with a one way mirror. Amazing they got away with this, without getting releases from all the people in the crowds, another era I guess.

TimBer

New in Town
Baseball

The new MLB channel has been replaying Ken Burns' Baseball documentary. While it is not a "movie" in the traditional sense, there are a lot of great hats in the photos and footage from the early years. It is amazing to see so many hats at those ball games.

jpbales

Practically Family
the costume designers must have been very busy with all those hats. Can you imagine what it would be like to go down a street in a city and see every single man wearing a hat like that??

tinmanzzz said:
Found the missing picture

ROAD_TO_PERDITION-1big.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

theinterchange

One Too Many
ebb said:
I love the hats worn in the old tv show "Dragnet".

Of course you're referring to the 1950's version. There weren't near as many in 1967. When there were, it was usually older guys like Burt Mustin in one of his many roles in Dragnet [and Adam-12].

I'm a BIG fan of Jack Webb's work. I remember watching Dragnet at night before going to bed when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade [probably earlier, too]. I always thought Joe Friday was cool, heck I still do... Odd as it may seem, I've always counted Webb as one of my heroes.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy