Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best HOT CURLERS/ROLLERS out on the market

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
PS said:
I have been doing lots of research because sleeping in my rollers takes planning and I wanted the option to not sleep in them. But I am not really willing to do a lot of damage to my hair. I have thick, curly hair so I grabbed the Caruso Steam rollers...I've only used them once so far but I have some learning to do...here is what happened.........

My hair started out as slept in, with a tiny bit of leave in conditioner this am.
I steamed the rollers and left them in for 10 minutes. I used Large and Jumbo. Which gave me volume and not much else. I was hoping for large curls. The next time I do this I will use a setting lotion and remove all my natural curl before rolling. And certainly set for longer than 10 mins.
Before
2z3s27p.jpg
[/IMG]
During
Fairly Heavy, could tip
2eg5ikl.jpg
[/IMG]
Done
2gskhhs.jpg

Wow, those are some biiiiig rollers! lol Like orange juice cans!

Do they come smaller?

Thanks for the pics showing results, and before and after...this is really the kind of research I was hoping to see with this thread. :rolleyes:

PS

A-List Customer
yes the setter comes with 30 rollers. large down to small. i bought the jumbos as an add on. not sure about that choice!!! might be nice come summer when i just want to wear my hair in a straight pony tail and this will smooth out my kinks.

roots66

One of the Regulars
If you have a bonnet hair dryer, 10 minutes might be all you need to set the Carusos--provided those giant rollers would fit under the hood, that is. Also, you might want to try a different kind of clip, such as Conair Superclips. Whenever I tried the Caruso covers, my hair would still be damp over an hour later. The steam seems to evaporate better with the superclips, plus they hold the rollers in place more securely and don't leave a crease like the C. covers can.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I've heard that you should avoid rollers which are ceramic as they are designed to be gentler to the hair and may not curl too well. I have Babyliss ceramic hot rollers and they are useless but then my hair doesn't curl at all using hot methods so probably best to ignore my advice! I've got a vintage set of Carmen rollers which are slightly better but again, I don't really use them as they don't work well with my hair. The same with Babyliss Hot Sticks. I've heard that Clairol Lock & Roll ones are good.

dani

Familiar Face
i have wave makers by conair, but do not know how to use them should i put them on after my hair is dried, or while it is still damp? also which way should i roll them?

dani

Familiar Face
ok i tryed it, it didn't come out the way i wanted, but it was the first time i tryed so i will just have to practice. it was pretty though.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Hi Dani!
Hot rollers work best on dry hair, preferably hair that hasn't been washed too recently?
Try a blast of L'Oreals hot style spray, it works a treat with hot rollers!
And lets see some pics! Don't be shy!
K

MissHannah

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
OK, here are the ones I use. They have a wax core, so they get pretty hot!

1d5a_1.jpg

Hey red - I just got a set of these off ebay but I don't know how to use the pins to secure the rollers - any chance of a demonstration photo?!! Pleeease!!

x

Smuterella

One Too Many
I have the babyliss hot rollers with similar pins, you literally just stick the pin over the roller and over the hair, its hard to explain but logical once you try it. Perhaps I could take a picture later.

I am having quite good experiences with my babyliss cermaic hot rollers, they get hot enough and if I use them with setting lotion the curl stays in OK, a bit of flop but not too much. They key is to leave them in for at least an hour, you have to let them get totally cold. The good thing is that they are velvet coated so your hair seems grip nicely without kinking.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Hey red - I just got a set of these off ebay but I don't know how to use the pins to secure the rollers - any chance of a demonstration photo?!! Pleeease!!

x

Oh sure!! I'll be setting my hair with them today actually!! Good timing! Watch out, they get hot! You can often here me saying this, " Ow, ow ow , damn, ow , ah, s*&#!, owie mama!.. dang, that one hurt." lol

You know, I am just going to take a pic for you now.. so you don't have to wait another day to play with them.. I forget you are in the UK and it's probably already night time there. LOL

Please ignore my recently out of bed look.

rolled up section of hair, I am using the biggest roller and so I use the biggest "U" pin.
I stick the pin against the way I am rolling it. If I roll facing left, the pin goes in facing right (if that makes sense?)

DSC01314.jpg

Here is the pin all the way in, holding the roller in the hair.
Sorry if it's too big, photobucket was giving me hell this morning!

DSC01315.jpg

Let me know if you have any troubles. ;)

MissHannah

One Too Many
Aha! Got it! I've just washed my hair so I'll try it when my hair has dried. Thanks for the swift response Red x

Mary

Practically Family
Tell me what to buy??!

I can't decide what to buy. After reading this tread I have understood it's best to find rollers that have that old-fashioned pin but that's about it.

Have been looking on some 70's carmen curlers on the internet but they aren't cheap and I'm afraid they will damage my hair.

So which is the best new one?

And how should the rollers look? I saw some in a shop that had small ridges. Will that show on the curls do you think? The carmel curlers had small spikes that didn't show in my hair.

And what about steam, ionic and all that? Does steam work?

I hate to decide so I'm hoping you'll do it for me! M

PS

A-List Customer
Has anyone used these?
Remington TStudio Tourmaline Heated Clip Hair Setter

Mary

Practically Family
Lil' miss A. I don't know.

I looked all over to try to find which of the new ones where the best and ended up buying Babyliss ceramic hot rollers. Have only just got them but they work allright at least.

Don't know if it helps you in any way. But I think the 70's ones aren't so hard to find on the net or in flea shops.

M

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I am trying to find the Conair hotsticks on ebay - but I am finding lots of different ones :

pink and lavender colored ones, just marked conair hotstick

pink and lavender colored ones, marked salon series

pink and green ones, marked conair hotsticks

they are all from conair

does anyone know the difference between these ones and which ones is best to buy? I have really thick hair that can 'Carrie from SATC' curls on its own if manipulated by a hairdryer..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR