Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best HOT CURLERS/ROLLERS out on the market

The Shirt

Practically Family
Seriously - they work way than anything I found to replace them. They get super crazy hot and the curls tend to stay a lot longer. I would be able to roll my whole head up and as soon as I put in the last roller I would start taking them out again. No waiting/cooling time.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Shirt, you're right, they work great. I did a quick little practice set yesterday and I think it came out really good.

outfits001.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks Inky! Well, I didn't use enough in the back and the curls were a lot looser. I thought I was going to run out, but there were plenty.

KateSpenser

New in Town
PS said:
Has anyone used these?
Remington TStudio Tourmaline Heated Clip Hair Setter

I own them and they are ok...[huh] but I wouldn't recommend them....my mother bought them for my birthday because I had wanted some rollers. They always feel like they are falling out of my hair. They don't have the curl I want. I want the rollers that she has they look similar to the Remington tight curl. She won't give them up.
Also, I have medium textured hair and she has coarse textured hair and they stay in her hair.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Texasgirl-
You look darling! That curl length really looks great on you. I think the curls last a lot longer on me as well. Did they last for you?

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks! Yes, they seem to hold great. And I use a thermal setting spray which helps. Here's another set I did, not super vintagey but cute :)

ry3D480.jpg

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Remington Tight Curls

OK, are they worth shelling out the money for? I've been wanting a set of 1/2" - 3/4" rollers and I want at least 12 of them. The Tight Curls set and a vintage ebay Windmere set is the only set I've seen with so many in this size. These are wax core, the Windmere are not. The Windmere are 1/2 the cost. Any opinions? Any ideas for other sets with small rollers (but not Hot Sticks).

The Shirt

Practically Family
I love the tight curls set as I stated - but I think they are way overpriced at the the current time. I refuse to spend $75 for them. I have heard to keep my eyes open at thrift stores and the like. Currently I have 2 sets of standard multi-sized hot rollers. Generally I take the smallest ones to do my whole head. It works just ok. They certainly don't hold the way the wax cores do.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the reply Shirt. I've seen them go for closer to $55, and even a bit less if they don't have the clamps (but have the metal clips). But that is a lot for a set of used rollers! Still looking at the Windmere sets. I wish Ebayers would put the diameter of he rollers in the listing instead of just small, medium, and large.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I can't say enough good things about the Tight Curls. I paid about $35 for my set, maybe a got lucky? It didn't have all the clips, but I bought a dozen pack of the small butterfly clips and they work perfect. I actually like them better than the metal clips.

I did my hair again on Saturday with the Tight Curls, a 40s hairdo this time. I used about 14 rollers I think.

wax09001.jpg

wax09003.jpg

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Aggh! That is such a cute hairstyle Texasgirl! :) I have hair that is a similar texture and just a bit longer. Maybe I'll look for a set without clips (those seem to go for a lot less) as I already have a bunch of hot roller clamps.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Inky said:
here's my hotsticks tips:

I let them get good and very hot - at least 20 minutes warm up.

I make sure when I put the end through the hole that at least 1 inch of end is sticking out - in other words, squish it down real good :)

I do find that any hot set (with sticks or rollers) works best on at least day old hair, not freshly washed hair.

Leaving them in 40 minutes is great - i've leave them in 45-60 minutes - just make sure they are stone cold.

It sounds like you got good results one one side - give them another go on 1-day old hair and see how that works.

Very good tips, this is how I use my hot sticks, and usually have great results! I couldn't have said this any better :)

Inky

One Too Many
hello ladies! i have one set of 14 hot sticks but now that my hair is past my shoulder (but not bra length and i don't plan on letting it get any longer), I am finding I need another set - do any of you have one you want to get rid of? thought I'd ask here before I go trolling ebay.

pinkshoes

New in Town
Inky said:
hello ladies! i have one set of 14 hot sticks but now that my hair is past my shoulder (but not bra length and i don't plan on letting it get any longer), I am finding I need another set - do any of you have one you want to get rid of? thought I'd ask here before I go trolling ebay.

You can get a set of Conair Hot Sticks from amazon for under 15$!
http://www.amazon.com/Conair-HS18W-Hot-Sticks-Hairsetter/dp/B002DMMS6W

roots66

One of the Regulars
kymeratale said:
Ah, if only they would ship them to Canada. I am having some trouble finding any up here. Must be something about regulations because the Canadian Conair site doesn't carry them.

Try Sally's if they have a location in the Ottawa area--I've found the Babyliss/Jilbere 40-stick set here at their T.O. locations.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I STILL adore Caruso!

Now that I have shorter hair, it is getting pretty speedy to put them in and take them out. And the new haircut really does need a bit of curl to look right.

Here I am with no curl, slightly damp hair (that is the natural wave)
IMG_0112.jpg

And here it is curled up (and suitably for this forum, serenading a fedora):
SaraTiara.jpg

And, here's a closer shot of the curled version (kind of dark and blurry as it was evening, and kind of messy in the back as I was dancing!):
IMG_0185.jpg

My Caruso tips:

I find dirtier hair makes for a much better curl. Especially if it already has some product left in it from the day before.

I wind the curls very tight to begin with, then looser as it gets close to the head. I only usually need to let it cool off for about 10 minutes, but typically will leave the curlers in until I am done making up and dressing, so the hair arranging gets done last.

I take out the curlers, and before I do anything, hit them with a light coat of super holding hair spray (Sebastian freeze seems to be best). Them I let that completely dry for a minute, then arrange the hair and give it another light shot of spray.

If your hair is getting to big and frizzy, you probably need to comb the curls into place, after brushing it, as the comb will make the hairs line up better than a brush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR