Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best M-422(a) repro?

Brettafett

One Too Many
Any of you guys with the Cockpit Vintage G-1, have it in a size 40? Or, are any of you around 6ft, athletic build? What size are you wearing...?
I have come very close to getting one, but have received so many differing measurements... I am also in the arm length issues group ;-) but believe with this jacket, its more an issue of body length. I don't want it to sit too high and believe, again, that they are made that way, as were most later G-1s ???

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm exactly the opposite! I always have sleeves that are always on the long side, and kills me. It's the reason I started getting suits made for me, just to get the sleeves to set right, otherwise they never quite look right.

IMO the sleeve length is probably the most critical factor in a great fit, at least for me. Last June I bought an Aero HWM in brown steerhide in size 44 from their sale page and thought that a 26" sleeve would be long enough. All I can think of when I am wearing it is how the sleeves just "feel" too short. However, my more recent black vintage FQHH HWM has 27.5" sleeves that just "feel" great. So which HWM do you think that I pull out of the closet to wear?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's the reason I started getting suits made for me
That is a risky bit of revelation sir - at least among us Yanks. The intersection of high-end suit and jacket customers over here is a virtual empty set. To us the garments represent not just styles but entire subcultures - ones that don't get along too easily.

Last edited:

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Any of you guys with the Cockpit Vintage G-1, have it in a size 40? Or, are any of you around 6ft, athletic build? What size are you wearing...?

I have a very athletic build and I need at least a 46. I decided to try Cockpit jackets because they have larger sizes. The bi-swing back offers plenty of room.

I have come very close to getting one, but have received so many differing measurements... I am also in the arm length issues group ;-) but believe with this jacket, its more an issue of body length. I don't want it to sit too high and believe, again, that they are made that way, as were most later G-1s ???

When I purchased mine, I asked the seller to grab a meter and find me a jacket with the the back length and shoulders width that I wanted. Maybe you could try this :)

I'd show you some pictures of the jacket but unfortunately I'm still with no camera. I tried to purchase a camera phone and I was sent to faulty cells in a row :eusa_doh:

pauleway

Practically Family
This jacket runs a little small. Iam 5'7" and 165Lbs and have a size 44. I always wear a sweater or sweat-shirt under it and it fits me really well. Whatever your suit size is, I would order one size up unless you want a tight fit!

kojax

Practically Family
i have the cockpit g1 vintage goatskin jacket size 38. one of the best jacket i bought. just wore it today to shovel my yard with 30 inches of snow

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi,

I've recently aquired a new USN ELC BuAero M422A in goatskin, quality & handle is superb (closely matches the original it's base on). The 50 cal treatment offered by ELC has broken it in a bit. Just waiting for it to be returned with nautical nose art designs from the paintshop. Some cheap (cheap compared to new) ones are thrown up on e-bay & also on the ELC website "Guestbook" area.

Regards Lee

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The ELC sizing is very good (if you've a reasonably athletic build). The M422A seems to run true to size, I'm a 46 chest & the jacket in 46 looks tailored but still comfortably allows you to wear an RAF sweater underneath should you so wish.

thor

Call Me a Cab
The ELC sizing is very good (if you've a reasonably athletic build). The M422A seems to run true to size, I'm a 46 chest & the jacket in 46 looks tailored but still comfortably allows you to wear an RAF sweater underneath should you so wish.

I agree. I have an older ELC M-422a in 44 long. Great jacket, however when I ordered it I ordered a 44 long (1" added) and didn't know they also have an extra-long (1.5 inches added to regular length). I'm cursed with those blasted gorilla-arms and could have used that extra length!

Probably end up selling the 44long and hunt around for a 44 XL (maybe even size up to a 46).

a1a

New in Town
I used to own a Real McCoys New Zealand M422a that I thought was fabulous, flawless stitching, great collar and spot on hide color.

Edward

Bartender
I've acquired some patches I want to have put onto an M422a, for an AVG repro. Anyone know if BK would install them for me, should I go the road of a new jacket from them?

I've acquired some patches I want to have put onto an M422a, for an AVG repro. Anyone know if BK would install them for me, should I go the road of a new jacket from them?

I think he just may do that for you especially if you're getting one of his jackets. Just ask for Platon, I do some trading and email with him regularly and he's a pretty up front and good guy.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
I know this is probably a dead thread but wanted to try anyhow. I just bought an ELC m422a with a leather blood chit on the back and it came with an AVG patch to sew on the chest but I’m unsure as to which side of the chest it would go on. My initial instinct was left but then I thought that’s where the name tag would normally have been so perhaps it’s right but that feels awkward kinda. Any advice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy