Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best MA-1 repro?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
See...now look at the can of worms you've opened! Here's 1972 Alpha...size XL. As you can tell, its a shade larger than the Skyline. BTW...that's frozen Lake Michigan in the background. The temperature that balmy Wisconsin day was just below zero. But the jacket was plenty warm…as long as I kept moving.

winterdec09123.jpg

AF

Edward

Bartender
Also, the F-series MA-1 was the "ground crew" jacket. So, evidently, poly insulated MA-1s were never designed or intended to be used in fight conditions.

AF

Not as warm as the wool / wool-cotton insulation, or bulkier (even if lighter)?

See...now look at the can of worms you've opened! Here's 1972 Alpha...size XL. As you can tell, its a shade larger than the Skyline. BTW...that's frozen Lake Michigan in the background. The temperature that balmy Wisconsin day was just below zero. But the jacket was plenty warm…as long as I kept moving.

winterdec09123.jpg

AF

I've found that with my B15c / B15C Mod jackets, as compared to the Irvin and the B3. The nylon is also handy for wet, cold days.... much as I love the sheepskins, the Irvin especially can smell a bit 'wet labrador' if it gets caught in heavy rain.... (of course, none of them wre designed with walking around in the rain in mind...).

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
What about Gibson & Barnes? They make fine leather jackets, the satin flight jackets should be nice as well. Plus they do not have that agent-orange lining!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
TXFlyGuy said:
What about Gibson & Barnes? They make fine leather jackets, the satin flight jackets should be nice as well. Plus they do not have that agent-orange lining!
Why does everyone dislike the orange lining? I realize it's everywhere, but it's genuine.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Oh good, then I'm not alone, ha ha! I rather like the visual contrast of sage green shell with orange liner.

Yeah, me too.
Recently, I saw a photo of an MA-1 with it's orange lining UV bleached almost yellow from being worn inside out at altitude. Maybe it was on the Lounge somewhere. Or was it eBay?
Anyway, I love that UV faded look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou