Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best of Moderns that might compare to vintage

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bakers44 said:
The only two variables that matter to me are,

Durability: how long it takes for the felt to develope holes, ect.

and

Denseness: how much water can the hat take before it starts losing shape.

If the hat lasts a long time, and I can go out in the rain I'm happy.

After seeing men in hats standing in the heavy rain in the movies of the 40s and 50s, I used a vintage hat I had, rather thicker felt, in the rain. Once I purposely went into a downpour that lasted an hour or more with the hat on.

No problem with any part of the hat. Eventually a hole somewhere in the crown leaked water on my head, but it wasn't earlier than 30 minutes into the downpour. Afterward I put the hat upside down on a newspaper, let it dry, and it was the same as before.

With other hats I had a waving of the brim happen--for example to my Open Road and a Borsalino--but pressing the brim seemed easily done by my local hatter. No problem. Brims are easy to fix, apparently. I wouldn't go out in a downpour with my best hats, but it would probably be OK if you put them upside down and nothing touches them while they dry.

A problem you might get is shrinkage of the leather sweat band while the hat dries, which would be unfortunate, but that might be the extent of the real damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart