Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Overall Motorcycle Jacket

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
At Eastman they're wearing sheepskin

2958E4A8-0295-4B11-8373-CB75E165ACF2.jpeg

Don in Indiana USA

New in Town
I've got some really sweet Vanson pants headed to the classifieds soon, might change your mind!
Schambach, if your upcoming Vanson pants happen to be size 36/37/38 PTEP (with patch pockets in back rather than zipper pockets), in Vanson's old (black) competition weight leather, and either uncut/unhemmed or with 31-32 inches inseam, please let me know when you post them. (Thanks! I'll keep watching the FL classifieds too.) I would just order a pair from Vanson but don't like their 'new' CW material.

Schambach

Practically Family
Schambach, if your upcoming Vanson pants happen to be size 36/37/38 PTEP (with patch pockets in back rather than zipper pockets), in Vanson's old (black) competition weight leather, and either uncut/unhemmed or with 31-32 inches inseam, please let me know when you post them. (Thanks! I'll keep watching the FL classifieds too.) I would just order a pair from Vanson but don't like their 'new' CW material.
Hi Don,
Good news & bad. They are in the old comp weight, a very nice example of it, and in great shape. But they are marked 35, and fit a good bit smaller than the number would indicate, I'm assuming they are not vanity sized. I wear 34 in most jean brands, and these are too small for me. The front pockets are zippers, the back is a snap. They appear to be the P100 from the vanson site, but with zipper front pockets. I'll see if I can get an ad up today at some point.
Cheers,
Eric

Don in Indiana USA

New in Town
Hi Don,
Good news & bad. They are in the old comp weight, a very nice example of it, and in great shape. But they are marked 35, and fit a good bit smaller than the number would indicate, I'm assuming they are not vanity sized. I wear 34 in most jean brands, and these are too small for me. The front pockets are zippers, the back is a snap. They appear to be the P100 from the vanson site, but with zipper front pockets. I'll see if I can get an ad up today at some point.
Cheers,
Eric
Thanks for your kind reply, Eric! Though the sizing is wrong I'll still be interested to see them when you post.

Edward

Bartender
Not made in the uk. Not 100% sure where. As Monitor said, great jackets for the money regardless of country of origin. Fully safety rated for riding with removable armour. I’ve tried on a couple, nice stuff. They are only 30 miles from me.

Yeah, at that kind of money - sub £400 - against very decent quality, I can't honestly imagine they're made in the UK. I don't know where exactly either; my best guess would be one of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Thailand, or possibly somewhere in Eastern Europe. The company itself is based in and run from the UK, though, which makes communication much easier. For something with a classic look and also modern safety features, and PPE ratings, they're hard to beat at any price. Surprisingly few competitors in that particular niche, despite retro / vintage having been such a huge style thing for bikes themselves over the last twenty odd years.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, at that kind of money - sub £400 - against very decent quality, I can't honestly imagine they're made in the UK. I don't know where exactly either; my best guess would be one of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Thailand, or possibly somewhere in Eastern Europe. The company itself is based in and run from the UK, though, which makes communication much easier. For something with a classic look and also modern safety features, and PPE ratings, they're hard to beat at any price. Surprisingly few competitors in that particular niche, despite retro / vintage having been such a huge style thing for bikes themselves over the last twenty odd years.

Their Highwayman is a particularly cracking value, at half the price of an Aero, third the price of a Lewis. Provided good pattern and hides I can't imagine they're poor quality.

The Lightning-style jackets don't look quite as nice.

What was Goldtop's signature jacket, so to say, like the Lightning and Bronx were to Lewis and the Highwayman to Rivetts?

Spiney

One of the Regulars
Their Highwayman is a particularly cracking value, at half the price of an Aero, third the price of a Lewis. Provided good pattern and hides I can't imagine they're poor quality.

What was Goldtop's signature jacket, so to say, like the Lightning and Bronx were to Lewis and the Highwayman to Rivetts?
I tried on a few but the 1958 was the winner for me. Looks great on and feels very substantial. £349

Edward

Bartender

Not honestly sure what their sig model was, to be honest. My understanding is that all of the models in the current line-up are (save for the adaptation to take armour) reproductions of their original line-up, but I'm not aware as to what was considered the flagship model back then.

Edward

Bartender
At Eastman they're wearing sheepskin

View attachment 460748

Great for warmth on the bike, but I'd hate to see what a spill would do to that expensive shearling! Very good, on-point post-war look, though. My paternal grandfather's motorcycling days were long behind him when I knew him, but back in the fifties he rode (as workingman's transport; my dad had his first car before my grandfather did) in this sort of thing I'm told. Tragically I'm not aware of any photos, I wish I did have them. I somewhere have the RAF goggle and leather gauntlets (the latter civilian) he wore on the bike. I believe at one point he might have had a sheepskin of some sort, though I never saw it. This sort of stuff was cheap and plentiful as surplus post-war, and there were lots of knock-off "Irvins" of varying quality and accuracy to satisfy what market demand there was. Much, much less in the way of protective gear in those days, but then - from the way my dad tells it of his early motorcycling days - markedly fewer cars about on Irish roads, and those there were were an awful lot more aware of motorcyclists than now, so less likelihood of a spill.

I like the American-style tanker boots in this photo too. Always been halfway tempted by a pair of those.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking for options for the best all-rounder Leather Motorcycle Jacket. I want something that is wearable on and off the bike (no armour), tough but nice leather and functionally beautiful. I've bought and sold many jackets in the past as I never seem to get it quite right.

Basically I'm looking for the Rolex Submariner of Riding jackets.

Really looking forward to your opinions and advice.

Cheers,

Morgan
Without reading beyond the original post it’s clear from your wjaywt post that you found it. Congrats.
P.s. that pic sent me down a langlitz rabbit hole last night

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points