Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best primer for oily skin?

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Help! [huh]

My fave primer (Kiss Me Magical Pore Care) has been discontinued.

What is your fave primer for very oily skin? I am looking for something to keep the shine away with no silicones.

thanks for any help! :)

Smuterella

One Too Many
I use an anti-chafing gel as primer (Monistant/Lanacane) its exactly the same stuff as most primers and works a treat.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
I use an anti-chafing gel as primer (Monistant/Lanacane) its exactly the same stuff as most primers and works a treat.

Me too - but that is silicon-based.

I thought the thing that made a primer a primer was the silicon, so it might be tricky to find one that doesn't have it.

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Hmm, I think for a primer to act as a primer and allow your foundation to go on smooth, it needs silicone. Unfortunately.

But to give my 2 cents, I swear by Smashbox's version with SPF. I have combination skin, but my T-zone gets really oily. Not sure if Smashbox advertises their primers as mattifying, but they usually last me till I get home from work. That says a lot considering the constant humidity here.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I like the feel of Philosphy's "the present". After using it for a little while, all I needed was that and a little powder. I don't think it has silicone in it.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys-

I know what you mean about the silicon, but there are some that don't have it for those of us who can't tolerate it.

I'll check out the Philosophy one!

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Oh no! Thank you Puzzicato for making think about this. I've looked up safe sunscreens and was horrified by the ingredients, don't know why I didn't do it before with the makeup products I use everyday on my skin. I'm off to the Enviromental Working Group site to get informed.

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Korres

vampygirl13 said:
Thanks guys-

I know what you mean about the silicon, but there are some that don't have it for those of us who can't tolerate it.

I'll check out the Philosophy one!

I was at Sephora yesterday and was reminded of your question - I got really curious to see how many of the primers there have silicone in them. So I wandered the whole store, reading ingredients and testing them out on my hand and arm. It was kinda fun. ;-)

Found out these two things:
- There are ones that don't have silicone, but they seemed a lot like a simple moisturizer with SPF. No particular smoothing qualities.
- The majority of the ones specifically marketed as anti-shine had silicone in them.

I did find two you may want to try. Korres Quercetin & Oak Age-Reversing Primer. LORAC aquaPRIME. And Tarte ReCreate.

They dried very smoothly on the skin. Korres in particular is a "natural" makeup line. Don't know how far they go with that tag, but their products seem nice.

If there's a Sephora where you live, you may want to get samples of some products. They usually send you off with about a 2 day supply. And they're always good with returns if you decide to buy and are underwhelmed with the oil-combating properties.

shebagrl

Familiar Face
I have very oily skin and use MAC Prep + Prime Face, though it does have silicone. However, they do have a Prep + Prime transparent powder for setting/priming. Perhaps that doesn't have silicone?

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have very oily skin and find the Smashbox one to be excellent, i did buy the L'oreal Studio Secrets one to try, and it was horrendous. Ok, no shine at all, but my face has come out in dry patches, aaaah! It also didn't apply at all well and made my foundation look really patchy.:mad:

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys!

Jillybean--I ended up getting the LORAC Aquaprime at Ulta last week. Still have a teeny bit of my Kiss Me stuff left then I'll try it out!

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Milk of Magnesia

Has anyone tried using Milk of Magnesia as a primer for truly oily skin, or truly oily patches?

I've been told it's an amazing holy grail product as a mattifying primer. Have also been warned that it is only for really oily spots otherwise the skin will suffer, and to only use the Phillips Original Formula, and also advised to dilute it a bit in a spray bottle and spritz onto a cotton ball and lightly apply to skin.

I am very tempted to just buy a bottle, but since my skin has been quite schizophrenic lately, and all the other research talking about how stripping your skin of oil will only make it produce more oil, I wanted to get ya'lls opinion.

Thx!
~jillybean

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have fairly dry skin, but in the summer it does tend to get greasy. When I use primer, I use Smashbox Photo Finish. It keeps my skin matte and flawless all day. I've also used the Monistat gel, which is the same thing as Smashbox for about 1/4 the price (very popular on MUA), with good results... once you get past the stigma of having a Monistat tube in your makeup case. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner