Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best sweatshirts in the world?

Edward

Bartender
I'd love to compare a Buzz one directly to my TU. I'm sure the Buzz is lovely; it'd be intersting to compare them on the basis that the new price for the Buzz seems to be ten times what I paid(!). I've never handled anything substandard from Buzz, though - and of course it's always going to cost more for something done in small production runs in Japan.

I see the Gap currently have a run of sweatshits almost like this (though the lower V part of the 'x' at the next is asymetrical - presumably a brnading thing, to mark it out from all others). No idea of the quality, though I think the price seemed reasonable for the UK high street (and will doubtless be a fraction of the UK price in the US).

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to say, I bought one but sent it back because I just didn't feel it was worth the money they go for. I've just bought a red, second hand Buzz Rickson and it's in mint condition.

I purchased a Pike Bros sweat too...expensive for what it was & I couldn't get on with the fit (moved it on). I'm not knocking Pike Bros generally though, I own several of their products that are daily wearers :) Shame most Buzz Rickson products are too small for me.

bn1966

Apart from my recent venture into M&S Sweats (shrunk & chopped elbows) I've found it difficult to get a good sweat at a good price & I like them as functional work-wear not something that I've paid cashmere prices for & need to treat with kid gloves :)

breezer

Practically Family
been wearing the classic sweatshirt and hoody for as long as I can remember and to be honest I can't see the point in splurging on an expensive import…….especially now that its become a high street staple. In the past I've had Reigning Champ, Carhartt, Edwin, Adidas, Russell Athletic, YMC, Penfield and they've all been fine. My favourites these days is a plain black hoody by the GAP that i bought in a charity shop for £3- It's made from thick cotton and fits perfectly. Having said that I would like to try a Nike Loopwheeler or Real McCoys to see what the fuss is about.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
IMG_0977.JPG

Plumbline

One Too Many
Have to say I've been unimpressed by both BR ( Navy XL) and Pike ( Navy M and Marle Grey M) .... stiff cotton ( thick and medium weight but much lower stretch than current cotton sweats and quite inflexible and uncomfortable especially in the collar and body). Add to that the inconsistancy in sizing ( I'm an XL in the BR and a Medium in the Pike Bros ... go figure) and quite frankly I'll take a cheapie from Uniqlo any time.

Favourite sweat currently is a Fat Face one very similar in style to the two above ... but with none of the issues ....... my conclusion is that if BR and Pike Bros are representative of sweatshirts from yester year then things have improved considerably ( then again maybe I just had some bad ones ) :)

barnabus

One Too Many
Picked up one of these in Sainsburys for £14 recently. I've not worn a sweatshirt in over twenty years, but the design of this one really tickled me and I've worn it a lot over an undershirt just recently as the weather gets warmer.

https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk...966-Blue?searchTerm=:relevance&searchProduct=
(for those in the US, Sainsburys is a supermarket chain in the UK that also does its own clothes under the 'TU' brand. Like a less posh St Michael for M&S.... Very good reputation for ethical production, and if you buy the right bits, they're really good quality and long-lasting. This has washed well already.)
This post caused me to stop at Sainsbury's on the way past this morning to check out their sweats. I didn't see any that I liked I'm afraid, but I have accidentally come away with a pair of slim fit raw indigo selvedge jeans for a bordering-on-stupid £7.50

wild_balls

Practically Family
There was two versions of the pike sweater, early one and the later! I don't remember the difference between them! The best sweater fabric I have is a pair of sweat pants from John Lofgren!

I purchased a Pike Bros sweat too...expensive for what it was & I couldn't get on with the fit (moved it on). I'm not knocking Pike Bros generally though, I own several of their products that are daily wearers :) Shame most Buzz Rickson products are too small for me.

Cheers Joakim

bn1966

I only own their flannel-lined canvas pants (which are incredible) but when I was enduring cold wet south of France winters I really wanted one of these.
https://www.arborwear.com/products/sweatshirts/double-thick-full-zip-sweatshirt

I've got some fantastic Pike Bros canvas 'Hunting Pants' (trousers for our UK members) & 60's style indigo denim pants. Love their leather accessories too...lanyard & wallet.

Great avatar by the way SB..'Jimmy' has been a major influence in my life & I've seen the Who perform Quadrophenia :) In fact I was in Bristol today for Auto-Italia digging those Vespa's & Lambretta's (I've been a Vespa owner since the 1980's)

Surferbruce

Familiar Face
bn I had at one time 3 old Vespas. The best was a 77 Rally 200 that sadly got crushed by a pickup truck going the wrong way down a busy boulevard (while I was on it, I got lucky). They are so much fun to ride.

Quadrophenia is to me the best album of all time, hands down. As they say, you can bury me a mod!

bn1966

bn I had at one time 3 old Vespas. The best was a 77 Rally 200 that sadly got crushed by a pickup truck going the wrong way down a busy boulevard (while I was on it, I got lucky). They are so much fun to ride.

Quadrophenia is to me the best album of all time, hands down. As they say, you can bury me a mod!

I hear you Brother, the Rally 200 was the best Vespa ever made in my opinion! My earliest was a Douglas Sportique (put together in Kingswood Bristol). Currently I own a late Vespa PX 210 Malossi with SIP upgrades :)

IMG_0269.jpg

bn1966

My Father used to watch the 'High Numbers' at his local Youth Club early 60's! My cousin learn't to drum from the guy that taught Keith Moon, my Auntie went to school with Keith Moon :) I'm a Chad fan & that album helped shaped my life

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
This is honestly the best sweatshirt I've ever found. I bought it after I was soaked during a torrential rainstorm I got caught in while hiking in South Dakota in 2011. It's roomy, thick, and the hood provides my head great protection from the elements! It's definitely my favorite hooded sweatshirt I have:
PW5Kb0q.jpg

HPA Rep

Vendor
Have to say I've been unimpressed by both BR ( Navy XL) and Pike ( Navy M and Marle Grey M) .... stiff cotton ( thick and medium weight but much lower stretch than current cotton sweats and quite inflexible and uncomfortable especially in the collar and body). Add to that the inconsistancy in sizing ( I'm an XL in the BR and a Medium in the Pike Bros ... go figure) and quite frankly I'll take a cheapie from Uniqlo any time.

Favourite sweat currently is a Fat Face one very similar in style to the two above ... but with none of the issues ....... my conclusion is that if BR and Pike Bros are representative of sweatshirts from yester year then things have improved considerably ( then again maybe I just had some bad ones ) :)

The inconsistency in sizing you mention is consistent among many, many brands today: there is no sizing police compelling clothing manufacturers to adhere to some established standard, which is why obtaining measurements of the item and also supplying your measurements to the merchant can be so useful, though nothing will work 100% of the time.

You are the first I know of to ever refer to a BR sweatshirt as being made from stiff cotton, but such characterizations are largely subjective: I think they are fairly soft as vintage-style sweatshirts go - vive' la difference! Obviously the two brands you mention didn't work for you. If Pike Bros. is producing their sweats on vintage loop-wheeling, tube-body looms, it could be that this production method, in conjunction with other production elements such as cut and fit and fabric, etc., is not good for you and/or your body type considering a "cheapie" that you care for would likely be made on projectile looms. The main thing is that you found something that appeals to your taste and needs: no brand and/or product will prove to be a hit for everyone. Sometimes, the cheapies win. Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt