Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best TV Themes (music)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My favourite TV themes...

- Lord Peter Wimsey (1970s series with Ian Carmichael).
- Jeeves and Wooster (1990s series with Fry & Laurie).
- Poirot (1990s- series with David Suchet).
- Upstairs Downstairs.
- Fawlty Towers.
- Midsomer Murders (1990s- series with John Nettles).
- The Addams Family (1960s series).
- Dragnet (1940s radio, 1950s-1970s TV, Jack Webb).
- Casualty 1900s (2000s series).
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1990s series with Jeremy Brett, David Burke, Edward Hardwicke and Rosalie Williams).

I nearly forgot this one...

The Dick Van Dyke show's theme-tune.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Without a shadow of a doubt and by an amazingly long chalk, the theme for "The Professionals"...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PCFVEvZvo3g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PCFVEvZvo3g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Ok, this is by no means the best TV theme song, but the lyrics always made me smile and Billy Connelly singing the song is abit of a bonus too.
"After her they're all big girls blouses, she got more front than a row of houses! Hang about, look out, it's Supergran"
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/afQl3SdFAIc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/afQl3SdFAIc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Dr Who
Dad's Army
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
X-Files
M*A*S*H
The Muppet Show

A few of you have mentioned the Professionals - I will have to go home and watch the DVD again, because I remember the car smashing through the window but I cannot remember the theme!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Shaka Zulu (okay, it was a mini-series, shoot me)
Doctor Who (I like most of the variations)
Big Bang Theory (yes I do sing along)
And from my childhood...
Magic School Bus
Wishbone
Bill Nye the Science Guy. I still break out singing these sometimes.

Home Town Blues -- Hizzoner

Hizzoner was a short-lived sitcom that aired on NBC in 1979 that starred David Huddleston as the mayor of a small Midwestern town. I recall that the show always opened with David Huddleston performing the song which he also wrote.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My favs:

Monty Python's Flying Circus (Liberty Bell)
Jeeves and Wooster (1990s with Fry and Laurie, scored by the Art of Noise's Anne Dudley)
Corner Gas (Canadian sitcom, scored by Craig Northey of the Band "The Odds")
Hogan's Heroes (anyone know that Bob Crane played the drums on that? He was a great band drummer)

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Let's see...a few of my favorites (debatable as being 'best of'):

- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer (The theme from the Nerf Herders rocks!)
- Carnivale's theme music (definitely fits the theme of the Dust Bowl era)
- Firefly - I love the theme song so much, I'm learning to sing/play it on my guitar
- Doctor Who theme song (extremely recognizable to me)
- A-Team theme song (I'm a child of the 80's...looked forward to hearing it every week)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy