Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bidding Farewell to Old Hats

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Will do Blackthorn! Actually, I was excited to post some photos of the FED IV and me at Angkor Wat but I came down with a flu and had to miss going to the temples this time. I've been once before so it was okay that I missed it, but I bet the Fed IV would have looked really cool there!
Indeed it would! I look forward to seeing those when you go there again. That Cambodian sun is going to be very hot in that Fed IV, though! No vents in it to cool it off. :)

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
Indeed it would! I look forward to seeing those when you go there again. That Cambodian sun is going to be very hot in that Fed IV, though! No vents in it to cool it off. :)

Here I am with the Banjo at Angkor over three years ago. This was just before my shift to a wholly Asian wardrobe.
IMG_0923.JPG

I subscribe to theory that the felt insalates against the heat as well as cold, but I am finding that it works way better with a high crown. I read in the Lounge a few folks say that the ventilation holes don't make so much of a difference anyway.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Here I am with the Banjo at Angkor over three years ago. This was just before my shift to a wholly Asian wardrobe.
View attachment 81620

I subscribe to theory that the felt insalates against the heat as well as cold, but I am finding that it works way better with a high crown. I read in the Lounge a few folks say that the ventilation holes don't make so much of a difference anyway.

Agreed. My summer felt is a relatively huge FED III that stays remarkably cool in hot weather.

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
If I were in the U.S. I'd be tempted to purchase a Bushman to try the ventilation holes. I'm curious if there would be a noticeable difference for me.

Agreed. My summer felt is a relatively huge FED III that stays remarkably cool in hot weather.

So far the FED IV is keeping me cool and dry. It is more effective than the Banjo at the cooler part, for sure. How much bigger is the FED III from the IV?

eric feinblatt

New in Town
Eagerly waiting for pics of the new hat Nathan. Can't quite picture it adorning a sarong. When in South Asia I leave my Akrubas at home and travel work a Tilley. You seen to be able to pull it off though. I've had a Bushman for years. It's actually not a bit cooler than my Woomera. Retired it a few months so, and the only thing I miss are the attachments for a strap.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

...How much bigger is the FED III from the IV?
I don't have a Fed III, but after a little research it appears the differences are relatively minor:

Open crown height: Fed III - 6"; Fed IV - 5-1/2" to 5-5/8"
Brim dimensions: Fed III - 2-5/8" to 2-3/4" on the sides, 2-7/8" to 3" front and back; Fed IV - 2-1/2" on the sides, 2-3/4" front and back.

So while the Fed III was only a little larger than the Fed IV, you know hats--the smallest difference in measurements can seem huge.

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
Eagerly waiting for pics of the new hat Nathan. Can't quite picture it adorning a sarong. When in South Asia I leave my Akrubas at home and travel work a Tilley. You seen to be able to pull it off though. I've had a Bushman for years. It's actually not a bit cooler than my Woomera. Retired it a few months so, and the only thing I miss are the attachments for a strap.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the request. I don't actually wear sarongs, and the only item I own which could be used like that is in the wash. I do wear Asian clothes, though, along with my FED IV. Here's what I'm wearing today, for example:
IMG_1054.jpg

Life is too short for boring clothes! :D

Cheers,
Nathan

p.s., I had many moments with my Banjo Paterson wishing I had a chin strap. I just never could bring myself to put two rain holes in the brim for a stampede string. Eventually I affixed a safety pin to the sweat band with a small nylon cord tied to it so I could hang the hat from the front hook of my motor scooter while wearing the helmet.

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
So while the Fed III was only a little larger than the Fed IV, you know hats--the smallest difference in measurements can seem huge.

Yes, I am learning this rule! Plus taper, the size of the ribbon, the shape of my beard (or lack thereof), even what shoes I'm wearing can greatly impact the impression of crown size.

For me, I want to be able to really bash the heck out of my crown. I find, for example, that the crown of the FED IV is still not big enough for me to put a properly deep center dent in (which is what I really want). It must be the shape of my head, but I had to settle for a sortof Maltese instead:

IMG_852.jpg

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
Yes, sorry about my lack of response. The differences, although small on paper, are big when you see the hats on my head. The III has considerably more room inside, and looks more stovepipe on the outside. It looks almost cowboy hattish on my relatively small frame.

How does the bigger crown do in hot weather, Scotty? I noticed a marked improvement in coolness when I shifted from the Banjo to the FED IV (I live in year-round 31 Celsius / 90 Fahrenheit heat.)

Edit: never mind, I just realized you already answered this question! :)

Have you got a photo of the FED III on your head Scotty? I could do a search, I suppose....

Last edited:
...For me, I want to be able to really bash the heck out of my crown. I find, for example, that the crown of the FED IV is still not big enough for me to put a properly deep center dent in (which is what I really want). It must be the shape of my head, but I had to settle for a sortof Maltese instead...
I've mentioned this somewhere here before, but I have the same problem. Even the Fed IV and the Campdraft, with their taller-than-most crowns, aren't tall enough for me to wear a Center Dent crease--my head pushes 'em right back out to an open crown. Good thing I like Teardrop, C-Crown, and Diamond creases. :D

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
I've mentioned this somewhere here before, but I have the same problem. Even the Fed IV and the Campdraft, with their taller-than-most crowns, aren't tall enough for me to wear a Center Dent crease--my head pushes 'em right back out to an open crown. Good thing I like Teardrop, C-Crown, and Diamond creases. :D

I don't like them as much as I like the good old center dent. I thought about getting a woomera and shaving half the brim just to have enough crown to put a proper center dent in!

Maybe I'll just have to save my money for a bespoke 6.5 incher.... ;D

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
Teardrops, C crowns, and diamond creases all seem to me to take up more crown space then a simple center dent even with a decent rake.

I reckon it must the shape of my head, but like Zombie's my scalp pushes out anything on the FED IV except the shallowest of center dents. So I have to have a dent that provides the bubble, whereas what I'd like to have is a deep center dent with no bubble.

If I accept the bubble, I agree with you of course, I can for sure eat up tons of crown with all kinds of bashes.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
How does the bigger crown do in hot weather, Scotty? I noticed a marked improvement in coolness when I shifted from the Banjo to the FED IV (I live in year-round 31 Celsius / 90 Fahrenheit heat.)

Edit: never mind, I just realized you already answered this question! :)

Have you got a photo of the FED III on your head Scotty? I could do a search, I suppose....

My III allows my head to remain cooler than under any of my other felt fedoras.

Here are a couple of shots from a few years ago, but the hat looks basically the same.

1107121353a_600x800.jpg
0707131356a_600x800.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana