Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biking with hats

email68

One of the Regulars
I've recently started to bike to work. I need a way to carry my hat safely to and from work.

I have a bike rack on the back, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to use it. Right now I'm using a canvas bag tied to the back of my seat. But I'm wondering if there is a better way.

Tim

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
They make some good sized hard case pannier and back rack compartments for bicycles that might do the trick. You could also get a plastic travel hat case and mount it to your back rack.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
pletscher-kcs16-med.jpg

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
Contact Bencraft. http://www.bencrafthats.com/

They have a really good hardsided case. It is flat with a raised hub for the crown. Has a built-in handle. I have seen Traditional Jews carrying them in airports. It is hard plastic and could take some knocking around. They are something like $35 if I remember right.

They do not have these listed on their site, for whatever reason, but if you call them on the phone they are happy to ship them immediately.

email68

One of the Regulars
Some good options guys. Thanks.

I'd love to just wear it on my head, but for starters its really windy where I live. Plus I ride a recumbent bike and use a helmet because I need to attach a mirror.

I'll check out some of these hard cases.

-Tim

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I don't ride a bike to work cause I wanna live more than two days, but I do own one of Hammer Plastic's hat carriers. They're less expensive from Cavendar's Western wear (even mail order), and from Amazon. Amazon's price depends a little on when you get it. Cavendar's has free shipping for large orders, but I don't know the cutoff. The $89.00 double hat carrier gets free shipping.

http://www.cavenders.com/product.asp?cat=1&dept_id=4599&pf_id=CLSSCTAN

Later

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Let's see... where to put a hat... hmmm...think think think....

IMG_6431.jpg

Yep, I'll go with 'on head,' as well. PC, safety, or whatever, I don't wear a bike helmet unless I'm off-road, as in mountain/trail riding, because there falling is a given. And my fedoras stay on my head when it's windy, so that's my choice.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I don't ride a bike often (been a couple of years since the last time) - the reason being that I could not wear my hat while doing so. And that's because you are supposed to use one of those ugly safety helmets these days and I would feel obliged to do so because adults' example is the only way the young kids of today will learn to wear one.

So, since I cannot set an example without sacrificing my hat (or getting awfully sweaty since I don't know how to ride slowly), I choose to not ride a bike at all.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
I don't bike often myself, but when I do I wear my fedora - IF it's a fedora type day. Luckily, I'm of an age where my children are grown and able to make their own decisions in life - that way I don't feel bad NOT wearing, as Wolfwood stated, "one of those ugly safety helmets". My kids and I never wore helmets and (GASP) survived quite well without them.

Before too long we'll be wearing full hockey gear just to go grocery shopping, "if it would save just one life".

Cliff

When I ride, it's usually for exercise, so I wear biking clothing and a helmet.
I will say that the Amish around here ride bikes all the time with their hats on, and their hats don't even have wind trolleys, so I don't know how they stay on when it's windy.

email68

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. I went with the one from Bencraft. It will be able to serve double duty for my biking to work and traveling.

Great tip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael