Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bit of Drinking Advice

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
I mentally throw up at the concept of an Apple Martini. :p

Please tell me someone here has seen The Kids in the Hall sketch, 'Girl Drink Drunk'??

That's what this thread has triggered in my brain -- a picture of a desperate man hiding in a broom closet with a blender maniacally mixing daiquiris and popping little umbrellas into them.

Cacklewack said:
Are chocolate martinis in the same boat? My roommate orders them without shame...

Matt

Maybe I'm not the right one to ask.
You've seen me, I drink Bourbon neat.

I think I've ordered a chocolate martini twice and even I was disappointed in myself.

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
beaucaillou said:
Maybe I'm not the right one to ask.
You've seen me, I drink Bourbon neat.

I think I've ordered a chocolate martini twice and even I was disappointed in myself.

Next time he orders one I will confront him with the fact that Beaucaillou is more manly than he is.

Matt

Chanfan

A-List Customer
beaucaillou said:
Please tell me someone here has seen The Kids in the Hall sketch, 'Girl Drink Drunk'??

Why, yes, yes I have.

Still, it wouldn't stop me from trying an apple "martini". While I do agree that "martini" is overused to describe the various concoctions that are branded with it's name, and that a vodka based drink probably shouldn't be called a martini - I've had a few specialty "martinis" that while perhaps on the frou-frou side, were quite tasty. I guess they were more frou-frou in trendyness/flashyness than sweetness.

I certainly enjoyed it when they used to have the Seattle (later International) Martini competition here. Various bars each produced one classic martini, one "specialty" martini, and one appetizer. The lucky, lucky judges were ferried around via limo from joint to joint, tasting. Friends and I would get dressed up and follow the event around - it was great fun. The fact that each place would give away one of the two martinis and the appetizer to the crowd didn't hurt! Many of the specialty martinis were pretty darned good. Of course, some were a bit odd, but one must experiment to make great discoveries.

Many of the cocktails I enjoy have more than two ingredients, I suppose - normally three or perhaps four. Two is often just a mixed drink, not a cocktail. Still, perhaps I could skate in by saying they do only contain two ingredients - hooch, and deliciousness!

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
my rule is if it doesnt burn the throat going down it isnt right. If a drink goes down and i say aah that was so pleasant then it needs taken back, immediately! :-D drinks have one purpose..

lindylady

A-List Customer
Although I like to keep my mixed drinks from getting too frou frou and sugary, I do like some of the new martini drinks. I never acquired the taste for the classic martini, so the new, sweeter ones work for me. But not too sweet. And Fletch, I can do without those appletinis as well ;)

Chanfan

A-List Customer
olive bleu said:
I like my martini so dry that it's really just a glass with Gin in it anyway:)

Just put the olives on a plate.

My boss was mentioning that when he worked at a higher end restaurant in DC, they were famous for winning various classic martini competitions (and generally getting customers saying how much they loved them). Turns out their "secret" was they basically didn't use vermouth at all, and they rinsed their olives.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Chanfan said:
My boss was mentioning that when he worked at a higher end restaurant in DC, they were famous for winning various classic martini competitions (and generally getting customers saying how much they loved them). Turns out their "secret" was they basically didn't use vermouth at all, and they rinsed their olives.

:eek: :eek: oh my, sacrilege!

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
:eek: the only drinking advice I have is...

...try not to get captured by your comrades...:eek:

I was 'captured' at the recent WWII event...and needless to say, I learned very fast how comfortable Southern Comfort shots can make you.

:eek:

I wound up having 3 of them (and I don't consider myself a 'drinker' really) on a mostly empty stomach.

Surprisingly, I didn't lose anything...but trying to navigate through a dining hall filled with tables that have folks seated all the way around them...while the room tends to be going around...

...I managed to make it to a table in an obscure place in the far back corner...where I could sit out the rest of my inebration and try to eat to get it to not be so bad.

...thus concludes my one experience.

Humbly Submitted...:eek:

Prien:rolleyes:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Chanfan said:
Turns out their "secret" was they basically didn't use vermouth at all, and they rinsed their olives.
Hey, I've got it - rinse the olives in the vermouth.

I'm no connaisseur, but I like a hint of vermouth taste in my tinis. Where's the art in just pouring a cold gin with olives? In the coldness and the pouring, I suppose.

I'll bet the secret martini was served supercold in an extra big, extra chilled glass, and shaken and presented with serious flourish.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Rinsing the olives in dry vermouth is one solution. For those who choose no vegetables or fruits in their martini, rinse / coat the inside of the glass by swirling the dry vermouth and then pour out the excess before adding the gin. A chilled glass is also quite important. It is good to keep them in the freezer with the gin.

Fletch said:
Hey, I've got it - rinse the olives in the vermouth.

I'm no connaisseur, but I like a hint of vermouth taste in my tinis. Where's the art in just pouring a cold gin with olives? In the coldness and the pouring, I suppose.

I'll bet the secret martini was served supercold in an extra big, extra chilled glass, and shaken and presented with serious flourish.

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
newspapercowboy said:
Saw the "favorite cocktail" thread, had to add this bit of advice from my deceased Pop, born in 1920 and a bit of a sport.

"A man never drinks anything with more than two ingredients...and ice counts."

What kind of man uses ICE?!:p

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
beaucaillou said:
Story: true, but when a man orders an Apple Martini and he's not doing it while standing next to his boyfriend, I do internally roll my eyes.

My brother has a bit of a taste for an Apple Martini. I am not sure how he pulls off the whole, ordering girly drinks thing. Maybe it has to do with being 6'8" and with shoulders that take up an extra seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot