Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black CXL vs Black Vicenza: Showing Their Age

Mr Knight

Familiar Face
Evening all,

I've started this thread partly due to it being a spin off query of another thread whereby I'm interested to see the difference in wear between the classic black Horween chromexcel horsehide and the still fairly new to the game black Vicenza horsehide, both leathers offered by Aero.

I've seen the occasional picture of both leathers with some wear to them but it would be nice to see them in the same thread, especially given plenty of people are interested to see the differences between the two leathers when making a purchase from Aero (myself included as I've currently got an order in the waiting list).

From what I've seen black CXL tends to show some age very quickly due to its nature, a stark difference from the equally noticed 'stubbornness' of Vicenza to show any real age.

So I'm asking anyone who either owns or has owned a black CXL/Vicenza jacket and would like to post up their feedback or even some pictures then by all means!

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I own both Vicenza and CXL blacks. My experience has been if you want a jacket that looks "newer" longer and stays basically black, just graining up with character, than go Vicenza. My Blizzard in the classifieds is Vicenza. If you're after the two-tone / tea core kind of look where the black starts yielding to brownish tones underneath, then definitely go CXL.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
The answer of TFL experts usually is: if you aren't sure which one to choose from two - buy both, cause it usually means you're trying to choose one jacket/leather from two totally different ones. Even if the color is the only difference. What to say about such very different (but both are being absolutely gorgeous) leathers as CXL Horween and Vicenza? The answer is obvious - buy both and welcome to the TFL club!)

Mr Knight

Familiar Face
For clarity I’ve already owned a jacket in each hide so I’m aware of the characteristics of each one to the point of having zero preference to each one. The only thing I’m not aware of how they will age which is the reason I’m interested to see what other TFL members have experienced with their own jackets.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
For clarity I’ve already owned a jacket in each hide so I’m aware of the characteristics of each one to the point of having zero preference to each one. The only thing I’m not aware of how they will age which is the reason I’m interested to see what other TFL members have experienced with their own jackets.
With lots of wear Vicenza is usually going to get more creases/wrinckes to look more grainy and charismatic,
CXL is going to get more creases and wrincles too, possibly not as sharp looking ones as Vicenza but with brownish undertones showed through.

Mr Knight

Familiar Face
With lots of wear Vicenza is usually going to get more creases/wrinckes to look more grainy and charismatic,
CXL is going to get more creases and wrincles too, possibly not as sharp looking ones as Vicenza but with brownish undertones showed through.

Appreciated, this thread was mainly raised for people to throw in pictures of their black jackets to show potential buyers (myself included) how they will age, as opposed to simply describing it.

Edward

Bartender
Haha, well unfortunately you got none of that.

The thread @Carlos posted is great for pics of the CXL. Don't seem to be so many photos of aged-up Vicenza in the wild, but then it's not been an Aero offering for nearly as long, and I don't think has had the same 'reach' here yet as CXL did/does. Be great to see some, though. I'm another in the camp that prefers my black leather to stay black rather than go brown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21