Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black dinner jacket / white trou?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OK, here's a testimonial, from Ethel Waters' back up group, no less. Note, I think they're wearing ties that are NOT black, but it's hard to tell.

[video=youtube;gkLhX9W39To]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkLhX9W39To&feature=share[/video]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Betcha anything those ties matched the lapels - probably some natty color like pearl grey. I find such a look acceptable only as a uniform.

Nosing around on the Ask Andy forum suggests the ducks 'n tux fashion involved plain whites without a stripe. However, matching trou were briefly favored with ivory DJs in the early 30s. Striped or not? I don't know.
1933_AA_v2_n3_p82_1_edit.jpg

There is plenty of good general info on men's formal customs at blacktieguide.com, the source of the above pic.

Last edited:

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
I believe that there is an analogy between warm weather dinner dress jacket and trousers - there are self faced lapels on a white jacket, so I think that there should be no stripes on white trousers.

Best regards, Dr

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I puppied out

I wore my plain peak SB tux and went a little Hercule Poirot, with an optimo hat, dove grey vest and spectators. You can't see it, but my bow tie has pin dots and my collar is detachable Linene. I was easily the best dressed straight guy there. lol
IMG2175-M.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo