Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Tie optional events...

Blackl3232

New in Town
Assuming it's not too expensive, I'd definitely go with the notch DJ. The notch lapel, while worse than the peak or shawl, is still acceptable...it's things like 3 buttons, neon four in hand ties, etc, that cause the real problems.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The owner of the shop offered it to me for £20 on top of a part exchange for a 70s suit I have and would just never wear. Since it's nearly NOS I don't consider it too much. It has one button and two at each cuff so it doesn't commit any faux pas as far as that goes. As for my bow tie, it's black silk and I personally think the dimensions are just within the acceptable region for my face. I have an appropriate white turn down collar shirt and the shop owner said he'd see about a black cummerbund.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
avedwards said:
Can I get away with notched lapels
PrincePhilip.jpg

Edward

Bartender
That'd be a 'no' then. ;) Seriously, though.... they're not in fsavour in these psrts, but they are sufficiently common nowadays that they won't look glaringly out of place or anything if the details of the jacket are otherwise correct. I should have thought a competent tailor could get rid of the flare to the leg, and at only £20, it's certainly affordable enough that you can consider buying something more vintage in style later on. I wouldn't worry too much about being associated with Prince Phillip, though - I doubt outside of this hallowed space anyone else would notice you'd hasve the notch lapels in common. ;)

Dan D

Familiar Face
Go with the DJ!

Avedwards: I'd highly recommend going with the DJ, even with notched lapels: the opportunities to wear black tie are few and far between these days, and I'm in favour of wearing one whenever the opportunity arises: not least because many other chaps often wear something else, and one immediately sets a higher sartorial standard at these events by sporting a timeless and classic item of clothing. Go for it!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I just needed to actually see that while uncommon notch lapels were allowed in vintage times. The same as 6 on 1 DB suits, more common on modern suits but some vintage ones had them. I'll pick up that DJ next Thursday then, take them to a tailor to remove the flair and all going well I'll wear it next week.

And before you ask me to, I will post pics as soon as I've put the outfit together. I have the correct shirt, tie and will have a cummerbund. The only point I'll be bending the rules with is that hat as I will wear the one in my avatar rather than a homburg but as some will point out a grey fedora was worn with a DJ in the 40s and 50s.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Suit vs. tux

When I see "black tie optional," I read that as, "wear your tuxedo." And I do. If you don't have one, prowl about eBay or (dare I suggest this) a large thrift store. Big thrifts always have tuxedos whose owners have died, gained weight or who decided they weren't going to any more weddings, balls or other fancy events.

I got a screamin' Brooks tuxedo from this site. It set me back $70.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
SamReu said:
When I see "black tie optional," I read that as, "wear your tuxedo." And I do. If you don't have one, prowl about eBay or (dare I suggest this) a large thrift store. Big thrifts always have tuxedos whose owners have died, gained weight or who decided they weren't going to any more weddings, balls or other fancy events.

I got a screamin' Brooks tuxedo from this site. It set me back $70.
I don't see it quite that way. I see black tie optional as wear one if you have one but don't bother getting one if you don't. At least that's the advice I gave my friends for the prom when I wrote a facebook note to disuade them from nasty faux pas mistakes (eg. clip on or coloured bowties).

Dan D

Familiar Face
Economy

I'm with SamReu on this one: whenever the option is there, take it. I can see your point, though, it gives one the freedom to exercise one's right to choose to wear a dinner jacket or a suit; but if the opportunity is there to wear one, it's always worth taking.

It also means one gets more economic value out of a DJ in terms of cost measured against number of times worn, which in these times is no bad thing...:)

Edward

Bartender
Myself, I tend to read BTO as meaning that "blak tie is welcomed, but don't worry too much if it's not practical for you." I see it as providing an 'out' for those who aren't able to get hold of one in time for the event for whatever reason, as opposed to giving 'permission' to those who want to to wear one. That said, I can see how even within my own soial circle it could achieve both those purposes quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo