Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Tie Waistcoat Material

Blackl3232

New in Town
I've just recently gotten into buying suits and tuxedos and what not, and I don't have a whole lot of money to devote to it, so I've been looking around on everybody's favorite auction site, and I recently bought a couple tuxedo jackets, and I've been looking for a black waistcoat to go with them. 99% of the ones I find are the dumb looking 3-piece suit style, but I found a good looking low-cut one, which just so happens to be in my size.

It appears to be wool, which bring me to my question, is it alright if the wool in the jacket and the waistcoat don't exactly match, or will it not be noticeable or not matter if they're a little bit different?

Also, my first tuxedo purchase was a white dinner jacket and some black pants (they were polyester, :whistling). My black jackets haven't arrived yet, but this brings me to a related question: what if the pants and jackets don't exactly match? Are polyester pants with a wool jacket completely off limits, or if not, does it matter if they are slightly different shades? I could buy a pair of tropical wool pants, but the same issue comes up, will the fabrics match exactly, and does it matter if they don't?

I'm new to this, so go easy on me. :cool2:

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Not sure how to answer this - the jacket and trousers should match and be jet black. Anything else will be instantly noticeable. If the lapels on the jacket are silk, the trousers should have a silk stripe down the outside of the leg. If not silk lapels, then no stripe.

Waistcoat-wise, I would not try and exactly match the wool in the black tie suit. Maybe go for a black silk or deep burgundy. Some subtle, but complementary? A waistcoat should only be worn with a SB jacket, never a DB. Also remember to wear a cummerbund with an SB jacket if not wearing a waistcoat (not necessary with a DB, as the jacket is always worn closed). Always wear a black bowtie!

David V

A-List Customer
If the black wool is standard worsted as used in rental gear then they should match.

I picked up a former rental and found that it was easy to match to a 3 button vest I bought new.

I was really supprised when I held the new vest and old tux jacket next to an old black wool worsted suit of my sons. They all matched!

Justdog

Practically Family
Helpfull

Max Flash said:
Not sure how to answer this - the jacket and trousers should match and be jet black. Anything else will be instantly noticeable. If the lapels on the jacket are silk, the trousers should have a silk stripe down the outside of the leg. If not silk lapels, then no stripe.

Waistcoat-wise, I would not try and exactly match the wool in the black tie suit. Maybe go for a black silk or deep burgundy. Some subtle, but complementary? A waistcoat should only be worn with a SB jacket, never a DB. Also remember to wear a cummerbund with an SB jacket if not wearing a waistcoat (not necessary with a DB, as the jacket is always worn closed). Always wear a black bowtie!

Verrry helpful

DerMann

Practically Family
Does anyone have a source for three button, low gorge waistcoats for black tie use that are modern production?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner