Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Vicenza Veg. Tanned water resistance and care routine

JoeChicken

New in Town
Hi.
I ordered a new Board Racer from Aero Leathers made from Black Vicenza.

I read a lot about the water resistance/repellent of chrome based tanned leathers, especially FQHH seems to be described as pretty water resistant. However, sometimes HH in general is listed as water resistant and sometimes as „get water stains“.

This jacket will be my first proper one and i do not have any idea how i should threat it. Is rain an issue? Will water stains be a permanent issue or are they „removeable“ by drying the jacket (room temp. - no heater)
Do i need to condition the leather after every rain?

I am afraid my question are bit to much/ to general… but i am grateful for any help you can provide so my first leather jacket will survive

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi.
I ordered a new Board Racer from Aero Leathers made from Black Vicenza.

I read a lot about the water resistance/repellent of chrome based tanned leathers, especially FQHH seems to be described as pretty water resistant. However, sometimes HH in general is listed as water resistant and sometimes as „get water stains“.

This jacket will be my first proper one and i do not have any idea how i should threat it. Is rain an issue? Will water stains be a permanent issue or are they „removeable“ by drying the jacket (room temp. - no heater)

I am afraid my question are bit to much/ to general… but i am grateful for any help you can provide so my first leather jacket will survive
simply wearing it and not babying it is care enough.

zebedee

One Too Many
I've worn Vicenza in very heavy rain and I don't think it's noticeably less water-repelling than other HH leathers, goat, steer, etc. Not sure whether water stains would apply to dark seal (which is what I have); I've had no water stains on it, but have had them on any paler leather at some point or other. I wear it in monsoons :)

The only thing is to allow wet leather to dry naturally away from any heat sources. Good leathers (such as Aero, Vanson, etc.) won't need any treatment for about 15 years as they're packed with waxes and the like and intended for hard wear.

J.

Last edited:

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
I have a Vicenza jacket that I wear in the rain. Rain is not an issue. Let it dry normally. I never treated my jacket in anything. Veg Tan leathers in rain is fine. If it was a natural leather then MAYBE I'd worry about water stains, but in black? Nothing to worry about.

CombatWombat

Familiar Face
I've got a Aero Highwayman that was from the "Connelly Era" and I've never been afraid to wear it in a downpour.....granted I don't actively seek a storm, but I've never once worried about water stains because it's a dark colour and the quality you're paying for means the jacket shouldn't have to be babyed

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Is rain an issue?
No

Will water stains be a permanent issue
Not on black jackets.

drying the jacket (room temp. - no heater)
This is the only way to dry a jacket. You can give it a tug here and there while it's drying too. To keep the shape.

No. But it doesn't hurt to care for them. You can't over condition either, the jacket will just spit it out what it cannot take in. It will let you know. Invest in a horsehair brush if you have not got one yet. Works on any leather boots and jackets.

I don't want to use the word shrinkage. Instead I will use the word "tightening". I do find veg tan leather will tighten as time pass by, with out without water. To me this is natural progress. So don't buy over tight leather jackets. It may be a bit loose on the first wear but will eventually form to shape.

Another fun fact is that all leather are technically created in a big tubs of water. The raw hides either sits in a pit full of water to carry the tannins into the hide or in a drum to speed up the process. So water is part of the leather making process. It's the drying process that differs and can make hides shrink. Just dry in room temp slowly and you will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner