Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black

The real Henry

Practically Family
Yeah, I can't understand that either, I'd say it came with the more skinny lapels and since DBs are out of fashion since the 50s or 60s(?), the taylors don't see a reason to change anything.

That's also the only thing I really dislike on the 'Washington' suit.

Regards,
Henrik

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
Double breasted suits were enormously popular in the 1980s!
Especially with the a one button closure. I hate that style and yet have them. :mad:
The fact that I have seen vintage suits button this way does not make it look any better. The fit has to be just right or it looks floppy.

I know what you mean about that look, Feraud. it was done so badly so recently that it still carries baggage. I have 2 of 'em. One looks good (below), the other less so (not shown). The one that looks better is late 30s, the other is probably early 40s . . .

HWood4.jpg
HWood7.jpg

bk

I came into a 4x1 that was dated 1976 but was definitely made by a tailor who was still using a 40s pattern. What makes it work is that he used overcoat buttons instead of small jacket buttons. I had Mytailor copy the suit in grey flannel and when I asked for the oversized buttons, he thought I was nuts. After I received the suit, when I next saw him here in New York he said, 'I didn't think those buttons would look good at all, but actually they make it look perfect.'

You'd probably be happier with the 4x1s if you open the buttonholes up and add the larger buttons.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I like the 4x1 look- it seems very golden era. The suit that reetpleat is selling me is the same cut as BK's in a darker gray-blue shade and I think the cut will be nice. I have a 4x1 early 50's blue flannel blazer that I wore to Camp Hollywood with Matt Deckard and Trickeration. It's all in the waist definition and the bellied wide lapels and the higher button stance- the 80's stuff tends to be low and close and looks sloppier. For example, there was a fad in the 40's that involved only buttoning the bottom button on a 6x2 suit, and it looks quite dashing with the wider, higher button placement and leaving the inside button undone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner