Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blue Nosed Basrds of Bodney A-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Estevan said:
I have decided to contact the family and see why they sold the jacket and if there are no sentimental ties or no-one wife etc. that would cherish the jacket I am going to contact the 352nd directly and see if they would like to have it for display on permanent loan (not sure how that works)I don't want to donate it as I know museums sell off items to pay overhead and operating costs.

Steve,

Congratulations and salud on your stance.

I have been in a similar position with a number of WW2 items that were given to me over the years by RAF veterans because they knew I would appreciate them and would cherish them.

In the last couple of years, faced with 'downsizing' drastically for retirement, I 'bit the bullet' and found good homes for them gratis with family members of the late owners, original unit associations and museums etc. It wasn't easy at first but I haven't really regretted it, and I don't think you will...

You are doing the right thing.

Alan

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Allen,

After I received the email back from Bob. He's right, I might not be able to trust the very people that sold the jacket in the first place. The only way I will give it to them is to get confirmation that it will be well taken care of and not sold off. I have seen numerous items on eBay that have been sold by the very museums that we entrusted to care for these items. They sell them off to pay light bills for god's sake. I know what this jacket could bring on a good day so I want it to go to a good home and be displayed and not sold like I said before to someone in Japan (or anywhere for that matter) for their collection. I mean hell, I don't even deserve to have it. It's a little hard to do all this from here in Spain, but I imagine if I can get one of the 352nd to take possession and assure me it will be cared for then I will let them have it, otherwise, it will stay with me.
I have about hit my collecting wall, I really don't know what I would do with more jackets, original or otherwise. (Yes this sounds crazy, I know.) So, I was thinking the only way I could give back a little was to try to preserve this very one, this one and only jacket and the name of "Red" as much as possible. I have bought and sold for years and profited on the very thing I am trying to prevent. We have a saying here in Spain "Una puta repentida" "A reformed whore) I will not have it rotting away in a basement, nor do I want it sold by some grandson who could give a rat's butt about the jacket and all he wants is a couple of grand. Anyway, still working on it......

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Estevan said:
Allen,

After I received the email back from Bob. He's right, I might not be able to trust the very people that sold the jacket in the first place. The only way I will give it to them is to get confirmation that it will be well taken care of and not sold off. I have seen numerous items on eBay that have been sold by the very museums that we entrusted to care for these items. They sell them off to pay light bills for god's sake. I know what this jacket could bring on a good day so I want it to go to a good home and be displayed and not sold like I said before to someone in Japan (or anywhere for that matter) for their collection. I mean hell, I don't even deserve to have it. It's a little hard to do all this from here in Spain, but I imagine if I can get one of the 352nd to take possession and assure me it will be cared for then I will let them have it, otherwise, it will stay with me.
I have about hit my collecting wall, I really don't know what I would do with more jackets, original or otherwise. (Yes this sounds crazy, I know.) So, I was thinking the only way I could give back a little was to try to preserve this very one, this one and only jacket and the name of "Red" as much as possible. I have bought and sold for years and profited on the very thing I am trying to prevent. We have a saying here in Spain "Una puta repentida" "A reformed whore) I will not have it rotting away in a basement, nor do I want it sold by some grandson who could give a rat's butt about the jacket and all he wants is a couple of grand. Anyway, still working on it......

Steve,

100% agreed - I like the Spanish phrase and feel the same way.

In going around some museums in the UK I was horrified at the way they treated their wartime clothing exhibits, compared to their equipment. A few of them had maintainence departments working constantly on conserving the 'hardware' (e.g. the 'planes) but just left their helmets, jackets and uniforms in glass cases under hot lights. One Irvin jacket on display was so dry it was cracking visibly - it had deteriorated noticeably since my last visit two years ago. A rather embarassed curator told me that they had never made any attemps to conserve or treat it, nor did they seem to know how to do so - frightening for a museum!

Be careful...money talks. You can demand a covenent that says the institution will receive the item but can never sell it. That's what I did.

Good luck.

Alan

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Rest assured you are doing the right thing about it.

It has been fascinating to hear all the history regarding this jacket and to have that tangible link with the past.

All the best and I hope the jacket finds the right home.

Cheers,

Smithy.

Rufus

Practically Family
Steve, thank you for sharing a remarkable story...brought to life by this serviceman's old jacket...

What more fitting epitaph than to have someone's name live on by telling their story... The tale of his squadron's takeoff for D Day is inspiring stuff,and best not forgotten...and I, for one thank you.

That's why I've been so pleased to find this forum. I value a bit of civilty in discourse, and am also thrilled to discover the breadth of knowledge displayed by members of this Board.

Again, thank you for sharing, I hope your jacket finds an appropriate home.

Kind regards,
Rufus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk