Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blueprints of Fashion

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Looking online, I found these books I thought you might all be interested in!

Blueprints of Fashion: Home-Sewing Patterns of the Twentieth Century 1940

16647264.JPG

Once upon a time, most clothes were sewn at home. Now and ever after, home-sewing patterns will provide the best blueprint to a time when suddenly everyone could dress like the models in magazines. The most popular 1940s styles rom couture to everyday workclothes, ensembles, sportswear, lingerie, and evening dresses, plus toys, needlework and gift are presented here in 550 color photographs of pattern envelopes from companies like Advance, Butterick, Hollywood, McCall, Simplicity, Vogue, and others. For the home seamstress, this will be a trip back in time. For artists, costume designers, and collectors it's an invaluable guide. The text outlines the beginnings of the huge pattern industry, its evolution and impact on fashion. A wide array of pattern-related items is presented including publications and advertising, display dolls, tools, and various forms of packaging. The pattern envelope illustrations are wonderful period drawings of '40s fashions. A refreshing approach and an important first book on this growing field of interest.

Blueprints of Fashion: Home Sewing Patterns of the 1950s

15778312.JPG

During the 1950s, many women used their sewing skills to recreate the incredibly feminine styles that were adapted into commercial sewing patterns. The 1950s saw renowned designers such as Lanvin, Fath, Schiaparelli, and Givenchy licensing their names and designs to pattern companies in record numbers: designers from Paris to New York to Hollywood can be accounted for in the pattern catalogs of the 1950s. Any woman who could sew could have the latest designer styles for a fraction of the cost. Using over 600 color photos, this informative and enjoyable text outlines the beginnings of the huge pattern industry, its evolution, and continuation through the 1950s. Numerous examples of pattern-related ephemera are pictured along with different types of fashions—from dresses to separates to evening gowns to lingerie. Also included are accessories, needlework, gifts, and toys. This is an invaluable guide for all who are interested in sewing or designing.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Blueprints of Fashion?

I own the 40's one. It has a great guide in the back that shows the breakdown of pattern numbers versus what year they were printed. It really helps when you cruise Ebay for patterns!
On the down side, the book barely touches down on men's patterns. I think it has what, 3 or 4 pages? Some of them are robes too. The women's section(s) are better.

Snookie

Practically Family
Another cheer for the 40s book! (I don't have the 50s one, but I'm sure it's similar.) There's a good chapter at the beginning, talking about the history of sewing in that decade, as well.

I think the men's section is pretty weak, too, though, I've even got better patterns than are in there.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Nice to hear good feedback about these books! I have a Barnes and Noble gift card and am going to pick up the Vogue Sewing Book and the Vogue Alterations Book. Glad to hear that if I put the extra on the card toward one of these Blueprints books that it'll be well-spent! I'll probably pick up the 50s one.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I've got them both and I love them. The list of which pattern numbers were released in each year is so useful. Lots of inspiration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner