Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BN vintage English Brown Oxfords/Balmorals 8.5 UK

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I've decided that these shoes, beautiful as they are, have to go. I can't bring myself to wear them, being NOS vintage, but I can't justify keeping them simply as a collectors' item either, so here they are:

Picture388.jpg

Picture391.jpg

Picture394.jpg

Picture393.jpg

They are a simple but classic plain captoe Oxford, with a channelled sole and all leather heel secured with brass nails. The laces are the traditional flat style.

Inside they are marked 8 1/2, width fitting 6, which I would say is average - F - in UK terms. the other markings I assume denote the last, and are HC8 G28 and 2227. They measure 11 5/8" from tip of heel to toe, and 4" across the sole at its widest point. the welt is fairly narrow - between 1/8 and 1/4".

The insole has a heraldic style crest, containing the words "City Craft" and "De luxe", which appears to be a clear as the day it was impressed.

Overall, I would say they are near mint, only minimal creasing, no sole or heel wear, probably having sat at the bottom of a wardrobe for the last 40-60 years. I have treated them all over with a neutral dubbin to preserve their pliability, but otherwise have left them untouched, apart from inserting shoe trees to preserve their shape.

I imagine that they are probably 1950s-60s products but could easily be rather older.

Were I to list them on eBay I would probably start the auction at £75 plus shipping - however, if any forum member would like them, boxed and on their trees (sturdy brown plastic!), for £75 shipped anywhere in the world, please PM me.

Anthony.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
This site (http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html ) seems to suggest that a UK 8 1/2 equates to a US 9, and I've seen Cookie make the same comment on the Spectators thread in the General forum, but I've no personal experience of the conversion. (Inter alia, I'm happy to provide the inside measurements, as the owner of the sizing website suggests, just say the word.)

Hope that this helps,

Anthony.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Thanks.

Unfortunately, I was hoping it'd go down to an 8 instead of up to a 9. Oh well, that's what I get for having small feet. Thanks anyway!

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Final reduction - £50/$99 plus shipping

I need to shift these, so I am offering a final, 2 day pre-eBay reduction, priced down to £50/USD 99, plus shipping at the following rates:

UK: £5
Europe: £8/$16
Rest of the world: £15/$30 airmail, £8/$16 surface.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters