Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boardracer: Standard or J100?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I want an Aero Boardracer, but am not (yet) sure whether I want the standard version, or the J100.

For the standard speaks: slanted pockets, kidney panel.
For the J100: back yoke, no back seam.

Against the standard version: the back seam.
Against the j100: maybe the inner kidney panel will be pressed off at some point?
Maybe a little "naked" on the bottom?

Maybe you can give me some opinions to help me decide?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I personally prefer the J-100 style. The simple back and straight pockets look more classic and understated to me, which is what I like about a cafe racer.

Also, this is probably just me, but a jacket with two slanted chest pockets always looks cross eyed or angry when I see it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have a custom one with the center seam. It makes the jacket fit nicer, better contouring. Without it there could be unwanted horizontal creases or rolls especially on heavier leather. But yeah J100 is classic design with the plain back. Tough call.

What leather you thinking?

Board Racer 002.JPG

MrProper

The simple back and straight pockets look more classic and understated to me

but the one I got custom is a J100. IMO J100 looks better
But yeah J100 is classic design with the plain back.
Thanks for your opinions and pictures. After these I tend to the J100 , because of the back. Kidney panel and back seam somehow „pulls the weight down“ visually.
As leather was chestnut Badalassi or unfinished HH in the plan. After I was now two days with my CXSH on the road and I found that super comfortable, I am considering brown CXSH. Doesn't make the choice any easier. Always these luxury problems. lol

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Thanks for your opinions and pictures. After these I tend to the J100 , because of the back. Kidney panel and back seam somehow „pulls the weight down“ visually.
As leather was chestnut Badalassi or unfinished HH in the plan. After I was now two days with my CXSH on the road and I found that super comfortable, I am considering brown CXSH. Doesn't make the choice any easier. Always these luxury problems. lol
Glad to be able to help

Carrie gave an advise when I was ordering the black J-100 - to use lighter/thinner leather for Board Racer, since the style runs very slim and close to the body

I was quite keen on CXFQHH, so I kind of ignored it, but after getting the standard BR in Aero's thinner CXFQHH Cordovan, I certainly appreciate what she said.

CXSH is thicker, so pls do take extea care of the sizing. If I was ordering a BR in future in normal weight CXFQHH, I would either size up to a 44, or probably align my expectations that this style is not for me

Damon141

Practically Family
The only suggestion I could make would be to have the measurements comparable to your 2 recent premier HWM with that trim look and mean back taper.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I prefer a kidney panel. It looks more „functional“ as compared to the „shirt-style“ back yoke.

Will be interesting to see how Aero gets this one to fit your physique.

Momein

One of the Regulars
I personally prefer the J-100 style. The simple back and straight pockets look more classic and understated to me, which is what I like about a cafe racer.

Also, this is probably just me, but a jacket with two slanted chest pockets always looks cross eyed or angry when I see it.
Taste can be so different. For sure J-100 is an old time classic. Nevertheless I like the slanted pockets much better, because they look way more dynamic, which I find very suitable especially for this type of MC jacket. But I would combine it with the J-100 back as I like the "shirt style". Always admired the jacket worn in the pics.

Attachments

• Board racer 2.JPG
    Board racer 2.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Borad racer.JPG
    Borad racer.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Taste can be so different. For sure J-100 is an old time classic. Nevertheless I like the slanted pockets much better, because they look way more dynamic, which I find very suitable especially for this type of MC jacket. But I would combine it with the J-100 back as I like the "shirt style". Always admired the jacket worn in the pics.
I can see what you're saying about slanted looking more dynamic. I do sort of like it on the Freewheelers Cafe racers, but if I ever bought a Cafe racer, I wouldn't go for slanted chest pockets.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
What Trainspotter said above about the leather on the BR/J100 Aero pattern. It's a very slim pattern, especially the sleeves, which also curves. I love thicker leather but I don't think the heavier leather works on the Aero BR/J100, which is really like a shirt and less like a jacket. Comipel would be a better candidate than the other Aero horse hides for this shirt jac.

MrProper

What Trainspotter said above about the leather on the BR/J100 Aero pattern. It's a very slim pattern, especially the sleeves, which also curves. I love thicker leather but I don't think the heavier leather works on the Aero BR/J100, which is really like a shirt and less like a jacket. Comipel would be a better candidate than the other Aero horse hides for this shirt jac.
Thank you very much.
However, I have now settled on the chestnut Badalassi and I trust that Aero makes me fit the jacket. They know my preferences in the meantime.
Denny said that the Boardracer is similar to my PHWM from the sleeves and armholes.
Aloysius once wrote somewhere that the Boardracer would have the same pattern as the Ridley (aka slim motorcycle jacket)?
I think that will work fine.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thank you very much.
However, I have now settled on the chestnut Badalassi and I trust that Aero makes me fit the jacket. They know my preferences in the meantime.
Denny said that the Boardracer is similar to my PHWM from the sleeves and armholes.
Aloysius once wrote somewhere that the Boardracer would have the same pattern as the Ridley (aka slim motorcycle jacket)?
Yeah they know what they're doing. I can't wait to get my chestnut Badalassi too.

But I am somewhat confused now. Your PHWM have sleeves like the one on the right, correct? Thanks. Boardracer sleeve has more curve that's what I meant.

sleeve.jpg

MrProper

Yeah they know what they're doing. I can't wait to get my chestnut Badalassi too.

But I am somewhat confused now. Your PHWM have sleeves like the one on the right, correct? Thanks. Boardracer sleeve has more curve that's what I meant.

View attachment 496103
Yes, probably more to the right than to the left. In any case, I'm curious.
7B8D4092-435C-4358-A1D5-CD4A20D10A79.jpeg

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thank you very much.

I am sure it will work out fine for you.

Wondering about the armholes, though. I never had any problems layering with a sweater under any of my PHWM. However, with my BR, a T-Shirt is the max. due to the armholes being so high. All size 44.

ProteinNerd

I have a custom one with the center seam. It makes the jacket fit nicer, better contouring. Without it there could be unwanted horizontal creases or rolls especially on heavier leather.
I've had multiple BRs with and without the back seem and the centre seem on the back made no difference to "contouring" or fit.

Just go for the one you like the look of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana