Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater assistance

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I use the towel / fabric method with my felts and Milan's. I ended up using the iron. I was hesitant, because I was unsure of what the heat would do to the thicker straw. Thankfully, it was fine. Will continue to work it. So far so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mystic

Practically Family
I post this just as input and my experience. I bought a late 30s early 40s AdamRoyal boater in the spring last year with the brim slightly turned up in front.
i hesitated buying it for several days because of this issue. I wasn't sure how or if I could correct it. Finally made an offer, it was accepted.

I laid out a very thick dry towel on a flat hard surface. I reasoned that the soft thickness would allow the brim movement. Placed the hat on the thick towel. I laid another dry thick towel across the front of the brim and another across the back portion of the brim. Then placed a average weight book on the front and a book on the back potions of the brim to flatten the brim and not raise the back up.

Left it for a week. Brim flattened out nicely with out any bends or flat spots in the weave. Stayed flat the rest of the summer.

Just got it out last week. It's still nice and flat all around.

Mystic's method sounds good to me. I'd try it that way first, because it sounds like it poses the least risk. I've done essentially the same thing myself and had similar results. I just hate to see any harm come to a boater that has survived intact for longer than all but the most elderly of us have been alive.

But, it sounds like your experiment came out well, Alive'n'Amplified. Glad to hear it.

Last edited:
Just yesterday I requisitioned another antique boater. (I convinced its former owner that he didn't need it nearly as urgently as I did.) Brim was all wonky, though. Water from a spray bottle, some books and a flat table top addressed the problem quite satisfactorily.
S'posed to be in the 80s and sunny here today. Good day to wear a boater, no matter what the calendar says.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy