Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bogie's best movie?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
What do you guys think was Bogie's best movie? I'm going to go with the obvious choice and say Casablanca.
Also, I'm trying to get a friend into Bogie. She's watched Elvis movies before and some Monroe pictures, so she's open to 'retro' things but her era is mainly the 1950s - she'd love to live in the '50s if she could. What movie of Bogarts do you think would be best to start her off with? She's 22.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
It seldom gets mentioned but I am a big fan of Beat The Devil (1953) which stands out as the funniest Bogart picture. The cast includes Bogie, Gina Lollobrigida, Jennifer Jones, Robert Morley and Peter Lorre with script by Truman Capote and director John Huston.

She might get a kick out of Sabrina (1956) in which Bogart plays against type as a company CEO attempting to steal a girl from his playboy brother. It is a comedy too but I don't think it is as funny as Beat The Devil.

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
The 'Maltese Falcon' for me, brilliant script, well acted & directed & Bogart at his cynical best. I always find the endings of Bogie's movies a little abrupt but I guess it was the norm back then.

The 'Treasure Of The Siierra Madre' would be my second choice if only for that hat !

Last edited:
I'd say Casablanca is arguably the best of the movies Bogart appeared in, but The Petrified Forest, The Maltese Falcon, Sahara, The Big Sleep (preferably the original 1945 version), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and Key Largo are all good choices as well.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
For several years, I have believed my favorite to be The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. I'm got a thing for well-made westerns, and that is one of the best. I was able to accept Humphrey Bogart's characterization of Fred Dobbs as an opportunistic tramp that gradually deteriorates to become more rough and uncaring of others around him, to finally become morally bankrupt. I still don't like what happened to him at the end, even with his faults. I also consider the B. Traven novel to be one of my favorites, along with his other work, The Death Ship. He was a very good author, from what I've read so far. I even own Jonah Raskin's book, My Search for B. Traven, which is an interesting in how it documents his search for leads to the author's whereabouts, of a life so shrouded in secrecy.

I just saw "Tokyo Joe". I liked it. Maybe not as good as "African Queen", but enjoyable.

I enjoyed that movie too. It's one of the least mentioned of Bogart's films, but I thought it was well done.

Sometime the obvious answer is the answer - "Casablanca"

But really also enjoy both the movie and Bogey's performance in (and might get your friend into him / old movies):

"Petrified Forest"

"Key Largo"

"Caine Mutiny"

A few less famous ones that I also really enjoy him in:

"Dark Passage"

"Dead Reckoning"

And if the '50s are where she's at, as Stanley Doble notes, "Sabrina -" a very '50s movie that is beautiful to watch with an engaging enough story.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
High Sierra is an overlooked, but superb film. And extremely entertaining in its own demented way is "Swing Your Lady," a western-oriented musical set in the realm of professional wrestling. Bogart himself didn't like it much, but I do.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I don't think anyone's mentioned In A Lonely Place, which is one of my favorites.

Others include the usual suspects: The Petrified Forest, Dead End, High Sierra, The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The African Queen, Sabrina, The Caine Mutiny...

emigran

Practically Family
"We'll always have Paris..."
Big Sleep
Maltese Falcon ... " You're a good man, Sister..."

And Lonely Place is great especially Gloria Graham

cm289

One of the Regulars
For me it's Maltese Falcon and Treasure of the Sierra Madre. I also really enjoy watching him go completely against type inThe Caine Mutiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DNO

One Too Many
Tough to choose, but I'd certainly include Key Largo , Treasure of Sierra Madre and The Caine Mutiny, but I'd also include the one film that no one ever seems to mention.... We're No Angels. A 22-year old may enjoy the last film. It's a good natured comedy and it's in colour. Bogart was excellent in a comedic role.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Bogart had a much better sense of humor than he ever gets credit for, and could be very funny when he wanted to be, as the "I'll take my panda out for a drink if I want to" affair well attests. In "Swing Your Lady" he gets into a wrestling match with the no-hold-barred comedienne Louise Fazenda, and if you aren't distracted by the whole "OH MY GOD THAT CRAZY WOMAN IS BEATING THE SNOT OUT OF HUMPHREY BOGART" reaction that people will often get, it's uproarious to watch.

Best? I do not know. He was in quite a few entertaining movies. Dead Reckoning, Dark Passage, and In a Lonely Place do not get enough praise to my liking.
:D

And "Dead Reckoning" is the one movie where Lizabeth Scott was a full on leading lady and handled it well - she never seemed to be able to really do that again.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Bogart gets a chance to deliver some neat one-liners in Across the Pacific. And I recently saw and enjoyed Sahara, where he plays the sergeant to the tank crew in Africa.

Still, High Sierra has got to be up there with his best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff