Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boldly going.........

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
......where no probe has gone before.(yes, split infinitives ain't what they used to be) You may not of heard or indeed be interested but today, if all goes well, NASA will be launching a solar probe to shed some light onto a few of our star's unfathomable quirks & hopefully we will also understand why the sun's corona (several mllion degrees) is considerably hotter than it's surface (around 6,000 °C)
Incidently, this probe named Parker, will after 7 Venus 'fly bys' to gain maximum speed, be travelling at over 430,000 miles per hour which wil make it the fastest ever man made object. At that speed, a flight from Philadelphia to Washigton, DC would take 1 second, excluding checking in, security & various delays. :rolleyes:
I thnk Icarus would have been a better name for it though.....too obvious prehaps.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/parker-solar-probe

EDIT: Apparently today's launch has been delayed until the wee small hours tommorrow morning. I think they're planning on sneaking up to the sun at night while it's asleep. :D

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What if the speed of light is not as “constant” as they say it is?
Indeed, the ramifications would be H-U-G-E.
I was recently directed by a shady character dressed in black to a BANNED Ted Talk* by one Mr Rupert Sheldrake.
I will listen to anyone named “Rupert”.
Anyway… something I had never heard before… apparently the speed of light actually dropped between 1928 and 1945 (i.e., during the golden era.)
Yes, I was as shocked as you are to hear it. Worth a 15 minute investment of your time if you wish to question one of humankind’s very basic assumptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHUaNAxsTg

* I suppose there must be a reason why it was banned. They say there is "little evidense" to support his views.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn