Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bomber Jackets???

Stony

New in Town
Come on now, anyone that's just a little bit in the know about flight jackets knows better than to call them "bomber jackets".

:rolleyes:

Paddy?

:eek:

ldmax

Familiar Face
Yeah, I always wondered why department stores called the A2 style "bomber jackets". I can see calling a sheepskin jacket a bomber jacket.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
<ladida>
Because calling it a fighter jacket sounds like it's made for hoodlums, and because calling it a flight jacket makes people think of airports, and airports are soooo not stylish, and because you caaan't call it an aviator jacket because aviators are suuuunglasses!!!
</ladida>

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
It seems the term "bomber jacket" has been around for a while. I wonder when it really came into common usage?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, here's one explanation;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomber_jacket

-dixon 'bomber' cannon

...and another: http://www.bharattextile.com/outer-wear-glossary.php

A loose, zippered jacket with fitted waist and cuffs, resembling those worn by American bomber pilots in World War II. Can be made from nylon, woven blends or leather. Usually has a fur or pile collar, double-entry cargo pockets, and set-in sleeves with a pocket on the sleeve. Traditionally, this is a heavier-weight jacket with a shearling or quilt lining. Also called a flight jacket.

Stony

New in Town
Replies acknowledged, but let's call them what they are. A-2's are not Bomber jackets, nor are B-3s. I've seen and heard of bomber crew or fighter crew wearing either/or in their respective mounts, so neither is unique to the other.

"Bomber" jackets are just what Eastman and Aero have described, "civilian made" inspirations of the jackets "issued" to flight crews. Since none of the issue jackets had side entry pockets or removable collars, they aren't even close IMO.

dr greg

One Too Many
bombed

I seem to recall that in the 80's, a 'bomber' jacket was any black waistlength jacket with pockets, usually made out of drill, it was de rigeur with the funny haircut set who didn't want to go as far as the Issey Miyake look, which for my money most resembled a bundle of used spudbags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran