Books about the Looks

Discussion in 'Beauty' started by Lady Day, May 6, 2007.

1. bambina

bambina New in Town

Thank

Thank you so much.

2. MegamiOrchard

MegamiOrchard Familiar Face

Books about building a retro look?

As well as being fashion obsessed, I am book obsessed, an often combine the two. Can anyone recommend any good books on retro/vintage/pin up fashion? Specifically looking for books that help put a wardrobe together. I have a few reference books about the general fashion at the time and designers of the period, but I was just wondering if there was a book out there for those of us who want to 'live the look' so to speak?

3. Snookie

Snookie Practically Family

Are you looking for fashion or hair&beauty? For beauty, I almost think the internet is the best resource -- old threads here on the lounge, the Vintage Hair Livejournal, and old beauty manuals that people have scanned and posted are all available for free.

For fashion resources, the most popular books are the Everyday Fashions as Pictured in the Sears Catalog (by decade). I also like books that museums publish on their collections (the V&A in London and the Kyoto Costume Institute both publish great coffee table books). I also came across a great new book recently -- I think it was Vintage Fashion: Collecting and Wearing Designer Classics, 1900-1990. It had a great breakdown by decade, giving examples of silhouettes, popular colors and patterns, and the trends of each era.

Primary sources are the best, though. The Sears Catalog, old movies, old photos. I think it's important to see the real deal for yourself, rather than only seeing someone else's interpretation.

4. pennyseranade

pennyseranade One of the Regulars

I would suggest catalogs to get a good idea of how outfits were put together from daywear to evening wear incuding shoes and accesories. They give you a broader range of what was available than what we find in vintage/thrift shops. They also give you a guide as to how the clothing should fit and where hemlines should fall for particular styles.

5. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

*merged threads*

We had 3 book threads about looks, so they are all here.

Enjoy.

LD

6. MegamiOrchard

MegamiOrchard Familiar Face

Thanks for putting these all together Lady Day - I am still learning how to best use the search option!

There are some great suggestions here ladies, thanks for all of your help

7. Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty My Mail is Forwarded Here

Another book not yet mentioned is Kevyn Aucoin's The Art of Makeup, which includes a single or double pages about the 1920's- 1990's. ISBN #0062730428. This books lists as much as $70 on book sites; but watch ebay, because I've seen it go for considerably less. Just be patient and you can save some money.

I was given it a couple weeks ago for FREE! :D

I might be listing books of interest in my thread: Vintage Betty's Book of the Week, so check there occasionally too.

Vintage Betty

8. Fancy Mouse

Fancy Mouse Familiar Face

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, MegamiOrchard, but I just borrowed a recently published book from my local library. The title is It's Vintage, Darling!: how to be a clothes connoisseur, by Christa Weil. It's quite interesting for me, as a newcomer to vintage, because it talks about sewing and tailoring methods, fabrics, shopping for vintage, cleaning vintage clothing, building a useful wardrobe, and a few other things, although it doesn't focus on any particular period.

I already knew some of the things the book covers, and some were great to learn, so I thought I'd mention it here.

9. NoirDame

NoirDame One of the Regulars

I have the 40s one and the Nocturne website actually taught me more about how I do my hair. It's not a bad resource but NOT worth the price tag it's getting. That should make you all feel better.

10. TessTrueheart

TessTrueheart Registered User

11. Smuterella

Smuterella One Too Many

its a good book that

12. JazzBaby

JazzBaby Practically Family

What a shame! I was in love with that hairstyle on the cover. Very Grace Kelly!

13. Mary

Mary Practically Family

books about shoes

Have anyone seen a really good book on 30's and 40's shoes? I've only been able to find one with lots and lots of shoes but it's illustrated and I prefer photos.

Then there's these books with shoes of the century but there's not enough shoes that are from "my" era.

I'd love to hear what you have found!

M

14. Darhling

Darhling Call Me a Cab

15. TessTrueheart

TessTrueheart Registered User

I have that book! It's mostly a visual reference book, with lots of pictures from catalouges etc. It doesn't really give instructons on how to create hairstyles, etc, but I kinda like it. Maybe the scandinavian ladies should have a get together and bring our best books on style!:)

16. RitaHayworth

RitaHayworth One of the Regulars

17. Lola Getz

Lola Getz One of the Regulars

I haven't seen those! They look fun--thanks!

18. LelaViavonie

LelaViavonie Practically Family

OH I have never seen the 40's one!
    THanks for the tip! I will have to take a look to see if I can order it :)

19. Josephine

Josephine One Too Many

I did notice on the Amazon site, one reviewer gave it a not so hot rating, mainly because she wanted it to be a "this is how you do it" instead of a "this is what it was like". I have to agree a bit with her, I want a book to tell me how to do it! :)

20. Darhling

Darhling Call Me a Cab

I have that book, recieved it yesterday from the slowest seller on amazon. To me it is more of a collection of style/clothes/ration pages from magazines. There isn't really tutorials on makeup or hair that much. I have only skimmed it though. I do not regret getting it, but I too would like : this is what you do and how you do it and this is how the end result should look like.