Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Books signed by the author

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I have a paperback copy of John Waters' Crackpot that I bought at a used bookstore for about $4. I flipped to the title page and there was a signature, "To [some dude], John Waters."

The novelist Stuart Woods was originally from Manchester, Georgia, and I grew up near there, so sometimes he would come back and have book signings promoting his new books. My mother bought an autographed copy of Chiefs, and I read it, often just throwing it in my book bag to take to school with me. Because of that, it was only in decent condition, but I managed to sell it on eBay years ago for over $200, which surprised me.

Later on Woods came back promoting his book Deep Lie, and my mother had him autograph two copies, one made out to her and one to me. I have both of them still, both in much better condition than Chiefs because I thought Deep Lie was just a Hunt for Red October knockoff and never made it very far into it, whereas I enjoyed Chiefs a great deal at the time.

Foofoogal

Banned
In my travels as an antiques dealer I have picked up quite a few signed books.
Makes it interesting to find the find. I don't pick up a book much anymore unless there is a signature.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Edward said:
I have a few signed editions, most acquired in person - among them books by Leonard Nimoy, Tom Baker, Nick Cave and Reggie Kray. I would love to have something signed by Bogart... I was looking at signed items - photos, though, not books - by Marlene Dietrich recently, but alas those were rather outside my budget.

And The Ass Saw The Angel?

Love Nick Cave...

Annichen

Familiar Face
I only have one book signed by the author,RC Sherriff - "Journey's End".
It was made into a film in 1930,an excellent war movie!

bradford

Familiar Face
I have several books signed by the authors...

I have a few signed Robert B. Parker from a book signing I attended a few years back. He is one of my favorite authors and I'm sad that he recently passed away.

I have a book by Warren Miller given to me as gift by my in-laws because I enjoy his extreme skiing movies.

And having been involved in politics for over 20-years, I have books signed by Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, John McCain, Oliver North, Dick DeVos and Markos Moulitsas among others.

Rainsfan89

New in Town
I have several of the Milan Jacovich novels signed by the author Les Roberts, including his latest one King of the Holly Hop signed personally by him when I met him at a local bookstore a couple years ago.

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
The apogee of my collection:
James Cagney's biography.
The last autograph he signed before he passed away.
Obtained by me.
I keep it in a safe deposit box.
Best,
Toots

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I own a second hand book, printed in 1968 called "Silent Star - Colleen Moore Talks About Her Hollywood" signed by Miss Moore.

my book has a similar cover to this one
51XmloNNS4L_SL500_AA300_.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Annichen said:
I only have one book signed by the author,RC Sherriff - "Journey's End". It was made into a film in 1930,an excellent war movie!

That was also a play, recently revived on Broadway. I was able to see it and very much enjoyed the production.

Edward

Bartender
Adcurium said:
And The Ass Saw The Angel?

Love Nick Cave...

No, I don't have the novel (it's on my list...)... the signed editions I have are his The Ink Thief I & II - his volumes of poetry.

skyvue said:
I have a few signed non-book items -- photos signed by Groucho Marx, Myrna Loy, Ginger Rogers, Lauren Bacall, Jimmy Stewart, and Woody Allen, among others, cards signed by Kay Francis and Ann Harding, and books signed by Fran Lebowitz and Richard Avedon.

Nice collection! I have a number of framed photo prints in my hallway, all signed, though predominantly of a later era (Johnny Rotten, Tim Curry, Patricia Quinn, Richard O'Brien, Nell Campbell, Dick Dale, Debbie Harry, Anthony Head, Leyla Rose & Missy Malone....). Next framing project is actually a Pogues drumstick....

Mojito

One Too Many
I have a whole set of "Mary Poppins" books signed by PL Travers (I believe I've heard she did not do many signings...these were given to me by one of my childhood mentors, who was also her friend - one of the most precious things I've been given). I have a whole slew of books on maritime history signed for me by the authors, who are often friends and/or research associates...many political tomes signed by the journalists or politicians who authored them...Works by Alan Levy, a family friend...assorted novels like "The White" by Adrian Ceasar...

RetroPat

Familiar Face
I don't have any retro signed books, but I do have a small collection of signed first editions. My mom has a massive collection of such books and I've caught the bug as well. Among the books in my collection are...
City of Dragons-Kelli Stanely
The Scarpetta Factor-Patricia Cornwell
Official Book Club Selection-Kathy Griffin
A Girl Named Zippy-Haven Kimmell
Haunt Me Still-Jennifer Lee Carroll
So Cold the River-Michael Koryta
When You Are Engulfed In Flames-David Sedaris
Post Secret-Frank Warren

Edward said:
Nice collection! I have a number of framed photo prints in my hallway, all signed, though predominantly of a later era (Johnny Rotten, Tim Curry, Patricia Quinn, Richard O'Brien, Nell Campbell, Dick Dale, Debbie Harry, Anthony Head, Leyla Rose & Missy Malone....). Next framing project is actually a Pogues drumstick....

Among the cast of Rocky Horror Picture Show the rarest autograph is that of Peter Hinwood (Rocky Horror). I believe he's now an antique dealer in London.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I don't have any golden era books signed, but have several of Ian Rankin's Rebus novels signed. I also collect Charles Dickens first editions, but it's enough to bankrupt one's self just getting regular copies. I've seen a letter of his on offer for 10,000 pounds!

Edward

Bartender
V.C. Brunswick said:
Among the cast of Rocky Horror Picture Show the rarest autograph is that of Peter Hinwood (Rocky Horror). I believe he's now an antique dealer in London.

He is indeed. One of the reasons that the autograph is so rare is that for years a persistent myth was peddled to the effect that he hated Rocky, and would throw people out of the shop for trying to mention it. Supposedly he took offence at not being given a voice in the film (unlike the stage show, where Rocky has quite a lot of dialogue, he speaks no lines in the film and Hinwood didn't sing, merely lip synching to someone else's voice). In an interview a few years ago, however, (I think it was in Scott Michaels' From Concept to Cult) he put that one to rest himself, saying that he loved it. He has, to my knowledge, never appeared at any fan events.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Autographed books I own:

Frank Herbert - Dune
Terry Brooks - The Sword of Shannara (first edition)
Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle - several novels
Neil Armstrong - Carrying The Fire: An Astronauts Journeys (Authored by Michael Collins)

Annichen

Familiar Face
skyvue said:
That was also a play, recently revived on Broadway. I was able to see it and very much enjoyed the production.

Yes, I know, I have many photos of the actual play as well as numerous Journey's End programmes from 3 different theatres.
I am a big big fan of the actor who played Capt. Stanhope.
I would LOVE to see the play, preferably at the Savoy in London :)

Here is one of the many different programmes:

programcopy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner