Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boot Repair Question

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

I found my old pair of black Corcoran jump boots with the "Cat's Paw" sole in a box in the garage (finally!!) but they've seen better days. Much better days...

The leather between the "bump toe" and the laces is HEAVILY cracked and creased on both boots. In one place on the left boot, there are two HOLES that go completely through the leather....I'd take pictures, but the camera card doesn't talk to this computer.

I am very sad about this.

Does anyone know if this problem can be corrected affordably?

Can (the operative word) this even be fixed?

Has anyone had experience in this kind of repair on your own shoes?

Can anyone recommend a shoe repair shop that could perform the work in the Central Valley, CA (Stockton/Modesto/Sacramento, etc.)?

I'd like to keep them and fix them.

Thanks,

dv

dnjan

One Too Many
From my experience, cracked leather is beyond hope. It has lost both strength and flexibility, and will just disintegrate to powder.

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Rats!!!

I was hoping for an answer that was more encouraging.....

Like "I know a guy who'll replace the offending parts for $3.00 and they'll be good as new."

Oh well, too many motorcycle rides I guess.

dv

dnjan

One Too Many
Unfortunately, cracking almost always comes from a loss of flexibility. And no "magic cream" will make dead skin (leather) come back to life.
There are a number of leather treatments that will significantly slow down the loss of flexibility. But once it is gone, it is gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran