Boot resole: what to request from cobbler

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Hobbes1, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 One of the Regulars

I've been doing some online searching in an attempt to determine what exactly I want from a local cobbler. I have a pair of Frye Prison boots and it's time to resole them. I do not want lug type soles nor crepe. I don't really care for the cork/rubber mix that I've seen pictures of online. Dainite? Mmmmm....not too sure about that.

What I want: leather midsole and some sort of rubber or harder wearing outsole. I love the look of the Role Club type resoles but I want to A) support a local business and B) not wait two years to get my boots back. Stacked leather heel would look good, too, I think.

So: what sort or rubber or hard wearing outsole to I want? I'd like to sort of know what I want and how to best express it when I visit the shop. I don't want to have to fumble around, wasting time and not get what I want do to failure to communicate. Thanks for any constructive help with this.

2. Hobbes1

Attached are a few pictures of what I'd like but I'm not really sure of what a good brand of outsole would be or if there are any other considerations.

Screenshot_20210413-143140.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  3. jdbenson

jdbenson One of the Regulars

Hobbes1 likes this.
  4. Ernest P Shackleton

Ernest P Shackleton One Too Many

Vibram makes differing degrees of wearing soles. I remember their website being helpful. I'd also 2nd that Reddit recommendation. They know their stuff.

Hobbes1 likes this.
  5. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Why not just ask - in person - your local cobbler what options exist?
    In my experance folks prefer this - they know thier trade and thier options, and generally prefer being asked what a customer thinks, instead of being "told" what they are to do.

Good work wanting to support local businesses! Need more folks doing this... :)

Last cobbler I worked with actively was 80 years old - 40+ years of experance.

6. Aerielle Max

Aerielle Max Familiar Face

Oh your local guy would know a lot. It is time to build good relationships with them.

7. Hobbes1

Thanks. Yes, you are both right. I am planning to tap his expertise. However, I'm trying to be informed/educated as to what is being talked about so that I can know I'm getting what I want.

8. jpto

jpto New in Town

Brian sources his soles from Dr Sole a company out of Taiwan. Dr Sole makes a variety of good soles. Some cobblers carry Dr Sole and they can be ordered online if you want to bring them to your cobbler.

Vibram has a couple of good options for half soles as well, the 430 is a low profile mini lug sole and the 700 is a flat sole.

Hobbes1 likes this.