Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boot width question

Dennis Holt

New in Town
Got a question. Just got a pair of Red Wing 1178 Pecos boots in a size 11.5 D and am not happy with the fit. Everything is fine except for the instep is loose and the heel lifts a lot. I always figured I had a normal width foot but now I might be wondering if I might require a narrow size like maybe a C width. Its worth mentioning that I have flat feet. I've tried insoles and that tightens them up some but then they cramp my toes. Even tried the 3/4 length one....lots of heel slippage. So I went to the Red Wing store and tried some similar boots made on the same last but smaller sizes. 11D and 10.5D. The 10.5 felt secure but was tight aroung the little toe area. So would I be better off to get C width or would that be too narrow in the toe box. Or should I just roll the dice on the 10.5 and stretch the tight areas. Also how much size difference is there between the C and D width.

P.S. Anyone want to buy some very lightly used Red Wing 1178s. 11.5D? Can't return them.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Got a question. Just got a pair of Red Wing 1178 Pecos boots in a size 11.5 D and am not happy with the fit. Everything is fine except for the instep is loose and the heel lifts a lot. I always figured I had a normal width foot but now I might be wondering if I might require a narrow size like maybe a C width. Its worth mentioning that I have flat feet. I've tried insoles and that tightens them up some but then they cramp my toes. Even tried the 3/4 length one....lots of heel slippage. So I went to the Red Wing store and tried some similar boots made on the same last but smaller sizes. 11D and 10.5D. The 10.5 felt secure but was tight aroung the little toe area. So would I be better off to get C width or would that be too narrow in the toe box. Or should I just roll the dice on the 10.5 and stretch the tight areas. Also how much size difference is there between the C and D width.

P.S. Anyone want to buy some very lightly used Red Wing 1178s. 11.5D? Can't return them.

Hold onto those boots, perhaps I can give you some help. I own a ton of Redwing Boots and shoes. Now I can tell you, a new pair of Western Boots should have some of the "heel slippage" you make mention of, and I myself have a high instep and I have flat foot issues as well.

It would help if you can tell me what size shoe (not boot, but shoe) do you normally wear? If you stand on a measuring tape, so that you can actually see in INCHES how wide your foot is, what do you come up with?

There are a few things to do with boots that are new. The Redwings will shrink just a touch when they are new, but not too much. The Pecos is a heavy built boot and may not shrink too much, but they will to some degree. If you normally wear a size 11 shoe, I would stick to this size you have in the Pecos Boots.

If you want to try to make these fit you a bit better, grab some distilled water, spray the entire boot both in side and out. Let them dry (not near any heat or furnace source) but just let them dry room temperature. You can soak them fairly good with the distilled water as it will not hurt those boots at all...but spray not dunk the boots. Next, you need to get yourself some leather conditioner. NOT mink oil for this but just leather conditioner. Why do you need this? You are going to spray the boots again inside and out with more distilled water. Let them dry again. When they are totally dry (may take a full 24 hours) and don't be in a rush, when they are totally dry, then use the leather conditioner, put it right inside the entire boot, all over every surface of the inside of the boots, everywhere and then do the same on the outside. Don't be shy about really slobbering up the insides of the boots with the leather conditioner. Lexol, Cadillac, any leather conditioner that will look like hand lotion will work. Let the boots soak it right in. Let them dry 24 hours, and then take some paper towel or Kleenex and wipe inside the boots to make sure there is no conditioner puddled up any where, it should have absorbed all into the leather.

Next, grab a clean pair of cotton boot socks,put them on, and wear them boots. See if they are fitting better. They should. If you think the boots fit better but you need to do the water spray again you can do that. However, the general rule of thumb with a boot is you wear a half size larger then a shoe size. My advise also for the future, try a few pair of boots in a store before buying them...walk around in the store and then think are they fitting well or not? You will not hurt the boots by spraying them with distilled water a few times and letting them dry. Just make sure you do the leather conditioner before you wear them.

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
Hey Dennis,

I have a similar problem and it was only after many pairs of ill-fitting boots that I learned my feet were narrow and "low volume." I recommend finding someone in your area who is experienced in fitting cowboy boots and get his/her opinion on your sizing. From your description, you sound like you need a narrower width because that means the boot will also have a tighter throat along the instep. Keep in mind, with a cowboy boot that's what keeps it in place. If you have slop there, it'll never fit correctly. You want the boot to "pop" when you pull it one. If you can easily slip it on (regardless of how it feels in the toe area), it's too big.

I learned from several fitters that often times those of us with skinny, flat feet need to go longer and narrower for a correct fit.

The downside is very rarely do we find something on the rack that fits (I'm an 11.5A in Lucchese and Rios with cutter toes).

I hope this helps and best of luck.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I got my first pair of cowboy boots from my grandpa when i was 2 and have been in western boots ever since [I'm 51 now] and you have had good advice so far. I now have to wear orthotics and have switched over to a lace up style boot for a better fit. I'm at the opposite extreme a triple wide foot, so i sympathize with finding the proper fit. Good luck in your search!

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family

God help you if you have a narrow foot. I take a B width and they are almost impossible to find from any bootmaker, unless you want to spend some hefty $$$. Go in a shoe store or the shoe department of an upscale department store and have them measure your foot. Hopefully you have a more common width, and it's the Redwing last that's the problem. I've tried on shoes that are the correct width but the last just isn't right for my foot.

Dennis Holt

New in Town
Thanks for the advice folks. Thought about saving my bills and maybe buying a pair of custom made boots one day. Anyone have any experience with that route? I really like the roper heel and just a low profile looking boot. Any boot makers anyone might recommend? Looked at Wesco's website and a few others. Really liked the look of the Morrison boot on the Wesco site.

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
You have a common problem. If the D width boot fits in the ball but is loose in the instep and heel going to a narrower last will just move the poor fit from the heel to the ball. You may be able to stretch them but it is not likely that you can do enough with out real boot model stretchers. If you go to a custom boot you have to find some one that understands that he will have to start with a narrow last and build up to fit. Also few factories make anything but d and ee widths as they are trying to fit the 90% that can cram a foot into them. Probably 50% of my clients have narrow heels and very wide in the ball of the foot.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
I had a similar problem with my Red Wing Engineers (2268): My heels was slipping and the instep was too tight, especially when I was sitting down for a longer period. After a few days of regular wear (I even wore them inside the house when they were brandnew!) the heel-slipping went away. Now it´s only the instep that will take a bit of stretching. The wear-in period of Red Wings can be painful on some models.... :eusa_doh:

kyboots

Practically Family
I had a similar problem with my Red Wing Engineers (2268): My heels was slipping and the instep was too tight, especially when I was sitting down for a longer period. After a few days of regular wear (I even wore them inside the house when they were brandnew!) the heel-slipping went away. Now it´s only the instep that will take a bit of stretching. The wear-in period of Red Wings can be painful on some models.... :eusa_doh:
The heel slipping is normal for a while until you break in the boot and it conforms to your foot. In fact I would worry if they did not slip when new; they might be too small. It's like buying your A2s with the sleeves long enough to have the space to wrinkle and conform to your arms. The ends will eventually pull up. The instep is a different problem. Granted there is always a limit to heel slippage, but when the boot wrinkles and conforms to your foot most of the slippage should stop or diminish. I would not sell or give up on my new boots for several months.--John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic