Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought Noble House „BF 109“ before knowing this forum ...

Bix B.

New in Town
Gentlemen,
after lurking some time around on this board of knowledgeable persons, I asked for stepping in.
Just before I discovered you and this board, I had ordered a leather jacket from the german Noble House Company, which got not the best reviews here, as I have seen.
I bought the brown horse leather variant of the „BF 109“ type:
http://www.noble-house.eu/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/91?osCsid=gdmub9bp2ht7mh9gqqgspfhb72
As they say in their catalogue, it`s the „best documented“ luftwaffe leather jacket. This, according to what I have seen of WW II Luftwaffe pics, isn`t really true. Has anyone a WW II pic showing german pilots wearing this "BF 109" style?
The „Hartmann Jacket“ -Style as sold by Eastman and in lesser quality also by NH and others seems to have been used much more.

I got the NH jacket by dhl 4 days after paying. It is heavy, the leather has a distinct smell, feels good and I think it doesn`t look too bad:
Noblehouse1-2.jpg

In XL it`s sleeves fit my arm-length well, also at the chest it feels ok. But it`s way too long for me. In part this has to do with my proportional shorter upper body, but compared to the original jackets it`s still too long. The buckles are also big and quite heavy.
The pocket – zippers look a bit fragile and should only be used with care, while an inner pocket has only a simple cheap modern zipper. The main zipper seems to be ok for the task. For the price it`s better than the usual shopping mall jacket. I ripped out the NH -fantasy Labels with „Jagdflieger“ and the eagle which looked as it lost the swastika only minutes ago. The real jackets were privatly purchased...
Two days later, while strolling the net I found this board, links to ELC, Cirrus, Original-Fliegerjacken, and Aero … .
Found out, that in the bigger town not far away is a shop which offers Aero-Leather. Got the car and stood there with a brown FQHH Highwayman. Unbelieveable quality! But it looked like a fridge on me, „boxy“ is not the right word. So, pushing away the immediate wish to own a Aero product for a short time, let`s see what to do with the NH jacket first. Selling?
After looking at the great „1942 catalogue“ thread with the forties design, I decided to try to get my jacket shortend by a tailor. This could be the right length (just folded it):
Noblehouse2-1.jpg

Should I look for a tailor? ...

Mark

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Please post pictures of you wearing the jacket. Without pictures it's difficult to give you advice.

Rudie

xt40

Familiar Face
i think quite a few of the noble house jackets look very nice and their pricing is fairly keen too. some of their products though eg the 2 tone b3 and irvin are miles out. I think your jacket looks fine and if you can get the length sorted out, i wouldnt complain too much. Better too long than too short.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Welcome to the Lounge, Bix B. Thanks for the review.

I think the jacket looks nice. Please post pictures of you wearing it so that we may assess the length. From the pictures you posted, it does seem as thought the proportions are off and that the jacket should be shorter to be more historically accurate. On the other hand, I prefer my jackets a little longer, so it wouldn't bother me personally. I suppose it depends on what you are going for.

It is too bad, however, that you have to take care with the zippers. That isn't even a problem with my "mall jackets".

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hello and welcome!
Altering the jacket is possible but I doubt that you will be very pleased now that you've handled an Aero. The Highwayman can look quite boxy but there are many other Aero patterns that are more fitted ranging from moderate to skin tight.
If you ever find the time to visit your dealer again try on a 1950s Halfbelt and see if that fits better. Remember: If you order directly from Aero they will make you a jacket that will meet you exact requirements regarding fit, details, hide etc.

BTW: That private eye in me tells me that you've been to Rider's Room in Hamburg or Burg & Schild in Berlin. True?

Windward

Practically Family
Hello Bix B. and welcome - if I were in your situation to altered a NEW jacket I would try to SELL it immediatly or send it back!!
Aero is - without any doubt - the top of the list and as Jan Solo already mentioned Aero will make your a jacket which will fulfill all of your dreams.

BTW: Think about what the man in your avator has said: Nur Lumpen sind bescheiden...:D

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Would love to see some pictures of the fit. I've been tempted by those in the past, and actually it's of interest to me if they tend to be long in the body as I have a long torso.

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge, Bix B. I think the style of the jacket is spot on for a Luftwaffe flight jacket of that period. The belt at the bottom is accurate as are the zipper sleeves with a snap. Same details as offered by Eastman. There are different styles of the belt buckle used on the these jacket, but this is the one I like best. I have seen more photographs of this style jacket being worn by period aviators than I have of the "Hartmann" style. Plus, this style gives a much cleaner appearance than does the Hartmann. Nothing against the Hartmann, but my tastes run to the simple design; the fewer details, the better. Additionally, I absolutely love the rich color of the hide.

If this were my jacket, I would find a way to make it fit. Please post photos so we can see how much too long it is on you. I prefer jackets longer in the torso and sleeves, as that is where my body has extra length, so I seldom find that to be a problem.

If the jacket is a little too long, then a hot water, or warm water treatment might be just the thing to shrink it to size. I have had good results using this method on a couple of my leather jackets that were too big in the body. I had to go to a larger size in order to get the proper length in the torso and arms. The warm water treatment worked a treat.

The photos with the jacket being worn will tell us if a water treatment or two can give the desired results.

Unlike Jan and Windward, I would find a way to make this jacket work, even if I had to go to a tailor. Any shortening will be unnoticeable because the belt at the hem of the jacket will be reattached after the excess leather has been removed. But first, let's see pics of you wearing the jacket.

Last edited:

Bix B.

New in Town
Many thanks to all of you for welcoming, interest and advice!
As requested, I tried a bit photographing the jacket on myself:
VO.jpg
VZ2.jpg
SZ.jpg
HZ.jpg

(Well, I have to sort out that jeans!)
It`s not an Aero of course, but I really like the colour and the feel of the leather, the seams aren`t bad.
I probably should be careful according to the breast pocket zippers, they may be more stable than I thought, but at least they are simply bent in the eyelet, and I don`t know what happens if you pull (too) strong.

After I saw the Aero Jackets in Hamburg (yes, you were right Jansolo!), for sure I will order something there, but have to think some time about what exactly and how to calm my family (two girls always looking for something new to put on...)

Here are a few links to what is supposed at least should be originals:
itm_250791939221.jpg
itm_250874835926.jpg
gc4y-5l.jpg
itm_180617937440.jpg
itm_320680228992.jpg
itm_320666504469.jpg

Many originals were for sure made of brown to cognac leather (if not seasoned today?), I saw several in the Luftfahrtmuseum Hannover Laatzen and those heavy buckels are very seldom to be seen ...
Thanks
Bix

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Your jacket doesn't look bad. It is somewhat longer than a French or German civilian utility / cycling jacket of the period, the sort of jacket for which the Luftwaffe boys opted when permitted to wear pp leathers. I suspect this is a deliberate modification to the design, intended for daily wear with modern clothes - bearing in mind the average trousers waist is significantly lower these days. Your jacket on you is not so closely fitted as they wore them back then (Luftwaffe fighter pilots, going by the photos, seemed to like to wear their jackets so tight I'm amazed they could move in them!). You could get away with a snugger fit by a bit, though my only concern with the hot water treatment would be if the sleeves shrunk a bit too short for you.

In the longer term, if you wanted another jacket, I'd be looking at either one of Eastman's Luftwaffe offerings (the closest to the one you have being the regular Luftwaffe jacket, as opposed to the Hartmann model), or an Aero Thirties Halfbelt. A few folks in these parts have gone for the latter when wanting a Luftwaffe style jacket. Maybe you could hang on to this jacket as a stop gap until you can afford one of the others. Maybe, if you aren't a 'brown leather only' kinda guy, you could go for a black one and then you have two options....

I wouldn't hesitate to have this jacket altered to better suit you if you can have it done very cheaply, however I'd be wary of spending a lot of money on adapting it as you'll never get that back should you decide to sell it, and it could be a sizeable chunk of cash towards the next jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
The body is a bit long and a little big on you. The sleeves are just the way I like them. The hot water treatment applied to only the body would shrink it some. You don't want any shrinkage in the sleeves, so I would be careful there and in the shoulders, although they do droop a bit. If you shrink the shoulder area, that will also shorten the sleeves.

Let us know how it comes out.

Decado

New in Town
I bought a cheaper version of the Luftwaffe jacket a while ago from A N Other supplier. It was supposed to be goatskin but the "goat" was nothing like my Aero A2. It was quite thin and the quality was not great. It turns out that it was made in China and shipped directly from there although the seller was a British company as far as I am aware. It is also quite "roomy".

I now have the brown ELC luftwaffe jacket and the jump is quality is amazing. Although it was double the price of the other one it feels more substantial, the leather quality is great and it's wearing in nicely. Nice tight fit as well.

As everyone here says, best to go for quality!

Peacoat

Bartender
I now have the brown ELC luftwaffe jacket and the jump is quality is amazing. Although it was double the price of the other one it feels more substantial, the leather quality is great and it's wearing in nicely. Nice tight fit as well.

How do you like ELC's brown HH? Can you post a picture? I know several members have the black, but you are the first I know of to have gotten the brown.

I know this is off topic, but I think the original question has about played out.

Bix B.

New in Town
Thanks.

best to go for quality!

Yes, but choosing starts getting difficult ...

... and I also would be interested in pics of the brown ELC Jacket.

Decado

New in Town
How do you like ELC's brown HH? Can you post a picture? I know several members have the black, but you are the first I know of to have gotten the brown.

I know this is off topic, but I think the original question has about played out.

It's my favourite jacket although my girl friend is not too keen. I'm a 42 chest and the 42 fits very snugly without being constrictive. The only (minor) negative point is that it could do with being slightly longer in the body but that's all.

I'll get some pics done when I work out how to upload them on to the site.

Peacoat

Bartender
It's my favourite jacket although my girl friend is not too keen. I'm a 42 chest and the 42 fits very snugly without being constrictive. The only (minor) negative point is that it could do with being slightly longer in the body but that's all.

I'll get some pics done when I work out how to upload them on to the site.

Simple. When you click on reply, and the window opens, the Image button will be the 4th from the right. Click on it and select "From Computer," assuming the picture is stored on your computer. Click on "Select Files," and you can then find the picture and upload it to your reply message. Or if the photo is stored on a third party server, such as Photobucket, select "From URL," and go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy