Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties: Wing Collars vs. Normal

Emil

New in Town
Hello!

I'm new to this lounge, so I would like to present myself shortly: My name is Emil Jelstrup, I'm 18 years old and live in Copenhagen, Denmark. I bought my first fedora less than a week ago - a black, standard Mayser.

I like the look of bow ties- and would like to get more than just my single black tuxedo one. But the shirts seem to be a problem:
Could you just use a normal, modern shirt collar together with a bow tie and a suit? In my opinion it looks better with a wing collar - which is also often seen on bow-tie and necktie-wearing persons on pictures and in films from the 1920's and 30's.
But today, wing collars are almost exclusively used in black tie and white tie situations.

What do you think about collar types and bow ties - and do any of you know a place (either off-line in Europe or on-line) where it's possible to buy non-dress (everyday) shirts with wing collars?

/Emil

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Check out th9is thread, I have to update the pics so they show.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=2228&highlight=collar+shirt

You can wear a regular point collar with a tux, though it is very out of fashion nowadays to wear a wing collar with a regular suit and tie combination. It was done in the 20's and before, thne again the collars were much taller back then. I wouldn't pair a winged collar shirt with a modern suit, though if you have one of a vintge cut it might just look pretty good. Very early look, pre-WWI

I think it is easier to pull off with a straight tie than with a bow tie, though it was done both ways back then.
005.jpg

Check out the fit of that suit in the shoulders, very early and very fitted.

Welcome to the lounge.

Emil

New in Town
Ok, thanks for the advice!

I think I'll stick to the regular collar unless I get a vintage suit. Probably people will just think I have confused going to class with a black tie party otherwise...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes