Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boxers! Boxers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Biltmore Bob said:
...you might have to ban yourself for offending someone. Wouldn't want to do that...I can't even post on the Observation Bar now 'cause I pissed off some of the PC fairies.

Truth be told Bob, you pissed just about everybody off....liberals and conservatives.

The Bartenders....and myself especially are far from politically correct. I smile to myself whenever I read accusations such as this and the members who really know me have a nice laugh....

....but we are off topic.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
So what's the big deal?

MK said:
The Bartenders....and myself especially are far from politically correct. I smile to myself whenever I read accusations such as this and the members who really know me have a nice laugh.....

...gotta keep the masses happy even if you don't agree with them, I guess. Reckon you'll get a hundred and fifty PMs from members bitching about me not wearing underwear sometimes...or pissing in my pants or training dogs or someone don't like my avatar or freaking what the hell ever.

Oh, yeah...boxers. Can't stand them...

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MK said:
I will say that his comment had a bit of bite to it, but hate speach? That is a stretch. I think the same goes for you saying he has a mental condition.

Mental condition? That's a loaded way to spin my
statement. I was asking if homophobia in general
was condoned. I'm content with characterizing JP's
statement as merely bigoted, since I don't know him.

The definition of "hate speech" is somewhat fluid.
For me, if you wouldn't say something about gay people
where people who are gay (say, SF's Castro district) can
hear it, you shouldn't say it on a public forum. Some find it
easy to make jokes about groups like gays and lesbians
because it is considered more socially acceptable in some
circles. Substitute black stereotypes and it's easier for
some to see how reprehensible such comments are.

But if this were *my* moderated, publically readable site,
I would think very carefully about condoning such comments.
Odds are good many of your members are gay or lesbian.
And there are potential legal ramifications.

As a boxer-wearing guy who was genuinely interested in an
intelligent conversation on the subject, I'll leave it at that.

feltfan said:

Aside from being so far off it just makes people laugh who know me, you can try to characterize me as you wish. I am not afraid of homosexuals in any way shape or form. I am afraid you have no idea about the neighborhood I live in or who I deal with everyday.
You are quite right. You don't know me at all. :kick:

Regards to all,

J

P.S. I am not banning myself for having a bit of fun or scaring the nannies amongst us

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

feltfan said:

A phobia is a mental condition.

But if this were *my* moderated, publically readable site,
And there are potential legal ramifications.

1) There won't be any brow beating into silence here.
2) I don't care who is gay here or not.
3) I respectfully suggest you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
STOP IT ALREADY

I don't know why this has gotton suddenly so personal. My line of work, and living in the "Bay Area" have made me very, very tolerant. My wife is from the People's Republic of Berkeley, and we've managed to survive radically different view points for the past almost 16 years!

However, I must say one thing, and go pick up a rock to throw at me if you will, but SOME of the gay/lesbian people I have as neighbors, or enjoyed as co-workers, seem compelled to be on a crusade to make it "well known" about their sexual orientation, to the point I supposedly have to "buy into" their lifestyle. Now, I am not gay, and neither is my wife. We DON'T discuss our intimate life with anyone. However, SOME of the gay folks I know seem somehow very insecure in their "lifestyle" to want to somehow always want to "talk about it". Geez, what's on TV, do you think it will rain, say, what was the ball game score...?

Maybe it is due to society having persecuted them for so long, maybe it is why some people of color, some women, blah blah blah...always use their particualr "situation" to try to explain why they didn't this or had that. You know.

Back on topic. I wear tighty whities.

"But if this were *my* moderated, publically readable site,
And there are potential legal ramifications."

PS go to Google and look up "free speech" my good friend.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Andykev said:
However, I must say one thing, and go pick up a rock to throw at me if you will, but SOME of the gay/lesbian people I have as neighbors, or enjoyed as co-workers, seem compelled to be on a crusade to make it "well known" about their sexual orientation, to the point I supposedly have to "buy into" their lifestyle. Now, I am not gay, and neither is my wife. We DON'T discuss our intimate life with anyone. However, SOME of the gay folks I know seem somehow very insecure in their "lifestyle" to want to somehow always want to "talk about it". Geez, what's on TV, do you think it will rain, say, what was the ball game score...?

BINGO! What I do in my bedroom is my business, and nobody else's...and I'd rather not hear about their bedroom business, either! Asking for special consideration because of what you do in private(or at least what you're supposed to do in private) is absurd...oddly enough, I live in San Francisco's #1 gay community vacation town, and since moving there more than a year ago, have made a number of gay friends. I talk to them as if they're the same as anyone else I know, and they're respectful enough - knowing full well that I'm a Christian, right-wing, gun-toting, meat-eating, leather-wearing, gas-guzzling jalopy driving conservative that voted for Bush twice - to not mention such things...for that, I have a healthy respect for my gay friends...this does not mean I condone their lifestyle, but it's not between me and them anyway...until they start pushing it on me.

Boxers, briefs...BIG FREAKING DEAL. Just as you shouldn't discuss bedroom matters with others, why air your underwear preference to the public and proceed to push it in others' faces?

HistoricDetroit

New in Town
of all the topics...

Go figure... Of all the things that could be so fiercely debated, it had to come down to underwear? I guess I won't be starting that thread on sock height preference. I can only imagine the heated discussion between ankle socks wearers and the guys who like knee highs.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but would gladly support a ban on that photo of feltfan in the jap fedora! ;)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Unbelievable!

HistoricDetroit said:
Go figure... Of all the things that could be so fiercely debated, it had to come down to underwear? I guess I won't be starting that thread on sock height preference. I can only imagine the heated discussion between ankle socks wearers and the guys who like knee highs.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but would gladly support a ban on that photo of feltfan in the jap fedora! ;)

I can't for the life of me understand what is the big deal. :rolleyes: Powers gets onto a topic and doesn't stop. :drum: What started out as an intellligent thread has digressed into some sophomoric locker room towel snapping. :p Powers should take a cue from Biltmore Bob, he doesn't like boxers and that's it, he doesn't like silkies either. It's a free country. But at least Biltmore has the class not to digress back into the P.E. locker room at P.H.S. #45. :jeep: I've gone to nudist beaches in La Jolla where you don't have to worry about wearing boxers or briefs, so what? Biltmore toils in the fields without skivvies, big deal! :cheers1: Let's keep this thread on the topic of the attributes of boxers. If you don't wear them then read and post to another thread. And that thing on fletfans head looks like he got it out of the souvenir shop at Universal Studios.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Lincsong said:
Powers should take a cue from Biltmore Bob,

Don't use me as an example...I'm a poor excuse for a bad example...JP can get in trouble on his own.

As for threads digressing into something unintended (by the initial poster, that is), Stuff happens...it's the "Law of Unintended Consequences". Like face to face, normal conversation...we will always go off on tangents, that's the way we think.

Lincsong said:
I can't for the life of me understand what is the big deal. :rolleyes: Powers gets onto a topic and doesn't stop. :drum: What started out as an intellligent thread has digressed into some sophomoric locker room towel snapping.

Ah, where to start. If you will go back and read the thread from the start then you will realize that I wasn't the one who started the boxer/briefs debate. I just answered it. It wasn't personal it was just two people joshing each other until strangeness came into play. MK, AK and Wingnut I agree completely.
Geez, you try to have a little fun and some nit takes it personally. :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran